The MX Track - How was your day today?

Ok , cool . Just getting used to the KX 250 F . Just a real bear , not used to the brute strength and such a twitchy throttle . Have'nt changed gearing yet , don't know if I'll keep it ..may just stay with the YZ 450 F . Seems to be easier to ride, better control ..

Took them both to the track again last weekend. Spent most of my time on the 125.
The kx is cool and all, but I'm not sure It'll steal the grin from my face when I ride that 125.
Got my gear bag back (fell off the back of the truck last weekend (I'm getting good at that!)) so gonna bring both bikes to the track again this weekend, along with the kid. I'll let him decide what bike I'm riding...

Last edited:
I do love the track. It's challenging AF, and I see improvement from week to week so it's also addictive.
And the people are cool! I've made many friends at the track, and like Cheers, (almost) everybody knows my name. It's my new home away from home I guess.
I could go ride in the desert around my area daily, but unless it's technical and a challenge, I'm probably not interested. I dont need to ride like I did in Payson a few months ago, and that was an ADVENTURE, but it needs to be more than flat desert trails to get me interested.

I did however just get my Softail on the road, so I will be switching back and forth between the track and the low-end torque putt putt.
More time on 2 wheels, it cant be a bad thing :ride:

Went to the track with the kid today. He hasn't ridden in about 10 weeks. Took his YZ125, and the KX250f.
I put about 1.5 hours on the KX, really the first time ive really ridden it. It has 3.1 hours on it now since the rebuild.
When I asked the boy if he wanted to ride it, at first he was like "no, I like my 125, its running sweet"
After about 3 motos he jumped on it. I said "be careful", and he said "dont worry, I'm not taking it on the track". Guess where the first place he rode it was?
After 3 laps, I said "lets switch back", cuz he was scaring me a little, and he said "NO, I WANT THIS BIKE!"
I said "not right now, your 125 still has a lot to teach you".
Then I rode it for the remainder of the day.

Set the sag last on it last weekend, (still ain't quite right) and today the head-wobble was nearly gone. I installed new throttle cables last night. It runs great, and I've figured out how to start it. Starts on first kick, when you know how.

I was told Kawi's dont turn well, and after last weekend, I kinda got that feeling. Today was better. But they told me Kawi's steer from the rear, and after today, yes they do, IMO.

Spent most of the day getting used to how to enter the jumps, and keep a steady throttle. Only went front-end low on one jump early on, but nowhere near as bad as my WR ever was.

I love 2T's, but after today, I might be switching, even though the $$$ part of my brain disagree's with this due to rebuild costs.
But Im looking forward to next weekend on it!

However, I would consider trading it for a 06 or newer YZ250f...I love Yami's, and they're way more familiar.

And I'm gonna make it to work tomorrow, so a great day at the track today:banana:

Last edited:
Hardest thing for me , between the 2 and 4 stroke is , learning where to cut throttle off the jumps . Too early , nosedive , too late , landing in wheelie mode ... guess i just need more practice .. or quit switching bikes ...

Hardest thing for me , between the 2 and 4 stroke is , learning where to cut throttle off the jumps . Too early , nosedive , too late , landing in wheelie mode ... guess i just need more practice .. or quit switching bikes ...
The nosedive was why I went to 2-strokes to begin with. And switching bikes? I've been doing that for 3-4 years now as my financial situation allows, and I'd like to think that being able to do so makes me a better rider, but I'm starting to think I should start sticking to one or the other.
I notice when I spend time on a 4T, my 2T skills diminish, and I'm sure vice-versa.
I'm really more used to a bike that turns, and am thinking if I'm going to switch to 4T's, I want a Yamaha.
While I'm quite sure I could learn the Kawi, I feel like I'm starting over...
I'm probably gonna keep switching though between the Yami 2T's and the Kawi 4t, cuz thats what I own, and aren't really in a position to;
A - know one way or the other, or;
B - buy another bike.

I have a KDX 250 2T , KX 250 F , YZ450 F .... also smaller 2t and 4t . Love to ride them all .... just aquired the KX 250 F and 450 F . Did'nt seem to have the problem till then ... Just need to get used to them ...