The Guns Thread

I have a question about a dead round or a misfire. What is the proper way to dispose of a misfired round a round in which did not fire.? About 2yrs. ago I was shooting and I had this round misfire. It has now been sitting around for two yrs. What should I do with it? What is the safest way to dispose of this round. I was going to remove the projectile from the case but, I was not sure if that is safe. Please help me. Thanks

I've heard a lot of different options. The simple ones are toss it in the woods, bury it, or drop in a trash bin. When it happened to me I disassembled the round and tossed the case in water.

Supposedly the soak the primer method in water, WD40, alcohol, etc are not reliable methods as different manufacturers build them differently. One might be resistant to water and the next oil. No way to know for sure.

Removing the powder will at least greatly reduce the boom should the primer decide to go off.l

If you remove the projectile and dump out the powder basically youve made what is left safe. Sure the primer is still not expelled but at least you dont have a uncontrolled projectile. So remove the projectile and dump the powder. Then dispose of them. The primer is still technically dangerous on its own but not nearly so as a complete assembly.

I have a question about a dead round or a misfire. What is the proper way to dispose of a misfired round a round in which did not fire.? About 2yrs. ago I was shooting and I had this round misfire. It has now been sitting around for two yrs. What should I do with it? What is the safest way to dispose of this round. I was going to remove the projectile from the case but, I was not sure if that is safe. Please help me. Thanks

I say treat it like a dead rattlesnake.... remove the projectile from the case and bury each part in a seperate hole ..... several feet from each other... You can NEVER be too careful!!! :prof:

You're welcome... :thumb:

Here is my latest baby. production date 1946 M1 Garand the Grand-daddy of all rifles. 150 grain, full metal jacket, .30 (.30-06) caliber bullet with a muzzel velocity of over 2800 feet per second. Enough force to punch through what ever you aim at. This thing makes even the mighty AK-47 beg for mercy :hail: (which by the way, I have an AK:smirk:). You would need class 5 ceramic plate body armor to stop it from piercing your flesh, and even then it has enough to knock the wind out of you and put you on your ass to take you out of the fight. I have had it for a year now and I have enjoyed every second of it.

M1Garand4_zpse6ea6dc5.jpg

Here is my latest baby. production date 1946 M1 Garand the Grand-daddy of all rifles. 150 grain, full metal jacket, .30 (.30-06) caliber bullet with a muzzel velocity of over 2800 feet per second. Enough force to punch through what ever you aim at. This thing makes even the mighty AK-47 beg for mercy :hail: (which by the way, I have an AK:smirk:). You would need class 5 ceramic plate body armor to stop it from piercing your flesh, and even then it has enough to knock the wind out of you and put you on your ass to take you out of the fight. I have had it for a year now and I have enjoyed every second of it.

M1Garand4_zpse6ea6dc5.jpg
That rifle goes along with the saying. Good old American Muscle.

I lost my Kabar. The last I saw it I was gutting a deer in a field. I hope its around my house somewhere, that would piss me off to lose an $80 knife.

Last edited: