The Guns Thread

What's the most fun you have had when shooting? I myself is when I was inthe Army shooting the M203 Grenade launcher. Thump, BOOooM!!! It was fun.

The best times I have had were with my father, and years later my son. I think it infected my son more than it did me. Hunting is probably half the reason he owns an airplane. Here in Alaska that makes a nice way to get to places most can't reach. Sometimes he just flies us out somewhere and we set up the trap thrower near fish, and bbq some food (that we catch) and break some clay.

We shoot for a little different reasons then. I have times when the 338 winchester mag that I sometimes carry seems to0 light for where I am. For lots of what i do now, I have a 358 in a blr (looks kind of contemporary with stainless and camo syn) with open sights goes along. But I like anything really. Anything in 45 has a special place in my heart too. If I lived south of ketchikan you may not ever see me getting kicked with anything bigger than a 308.

Have you ever shot with a 300 Ultra mag. I would like to shoot that a few times. You are right about us shooting for different reasons. Where you live you must hunt and protect yourself from large game and preditors. Where I live I go to the store to buy better tasteing meat and protect my family from maybe a coyote. :lol:

Have you ever shot with a 300 Ultra mag. I would like to shoot that a few times. You are right about us shooting for different reasons. Where you live you must hunt and protect yourself from large game and preditors. Where I live I go to the store to buy better tasteing meat and protect my family from maybe a coyote. :lol:

9 years ago I bought a Remington extreme in 338 ultra to replace my Abolt 338 win. I just dont really like the short rotation and wanted the newer caliber. I was going to pass the Win down to my son. I took the scope off the Abolt and put it on the Remington, and put a new Leupold vx2 on the Abolt. I went out and sighted the Abolt in first since my son was just 48 hours from a flyout hunt I couldnt go on. Then I started sighting the ultramag in. After 5 shots (I boresighted them both at home) I decided to swap scopes back and send him the Remington. He is 30 years younger and carries an extra 30 lbs. He loves it. I still don't like the short rotation of the Abolt, but it is a good shooter.

If I have my choice I don't buy any meat at a store. I would never try to convince anyone to stop though. I hardly need anyone else out competing with me for what I like. I have the choice. I keep justifying all the things I have that go bang or use gas as doing it because I have the choice lol :-).

The ultra mags are impressive on paper, and if you shoot out past the 450 yard mark for kills, they are the thing to have if you won't go Norma or Lapua etc.

FINALLY a win for us gun people!!!! California strikes down restrictions for ccw owner ship!!! :banana::clap:
If it were only so simple.

An actual patriot named Ed Peruta sued the San Diego county Sheriff when his application for a concealed carry license was denied. Here in the peoples republic of California we have a may issue system and it is up to the discretion of the county Sheriff of Chief of Police. You must have what is called "good cause." In rural counties it is no problem to get approved. It's nearly impossible in the more urban counties to get one unless you are connected or donate a lot for the Sheriff's election. In Los Angeles county self defense is not a good cause.

Mr Peruta got nowhere in the state court, so he appealed to the federal court. On 2/13/14 the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit released the opinion stating that due to the second amendment self defense is a good cause and now the Sheriff must give Mr Peruta his permit. It's binding on all states in the ninth district.

The San Diego county Sheriff decided not to continue fight and it looked like a win. On the very last day (2/27) California stepped in and basically asked to replace the San Diego county Sheriff as the defendant and be allowed to a discretionary appeal to the ninth district known as an "en banc" and/or the supreme court. We are currently in a holding pattern.

You see California is fighting against the constitution and your ability to have a concealed weapon. The next step will be the court to decide if California can intervene. It's not a cut and dry decision. It will be at least three weeks until we get a decision. If it's no then we are done for now and everyone in California can apply under the new standard. The Attorney General of California Kamala Harris may prevail and then she can ask for an en banc appeal. Then we wait again to see if they grant it.

Both of these steps are not a slam dunk for California by any means. They really don't like to do the "en banc" thing and even her motion to intervene has some problems. You see she was asked to join the case and declined. That casts a negative light on her motion big time.

It's a very hopeful sign that's for sure. The large lady is warming up, and hopefully the singing will commence soon.

Last edited:
In Alaska, the interpretation of the state constitution was that we can carry concealed without a permit. An actual permit to carry is obtainable by going to a course which covers safety and responsibility. People get them so that they can cc in other states that recognize our permits.