The Guns Thread

"Take down" power :lol: Remember a .40 is only ONEmm larger in diameter (uses a 10mm bullet) than a 9mm. You think if you shoot a guy with a 9mm he will keep running thinking, "whew if that was ONEmm larger I would of been screwed" :rolleyes: You get 18rds of ammo in a G17. Not to mention the disadvantage of follow-up shots from the .40 because of its snappy recoil.

But to save the sake of beating a dead horse, we all have personal preferences so guys looking into different calibers, choose what makes you happy. But what ever you get, be trained and proficient with it. A small hit is better than a big miss.

I thought we were talking about .40 vs .45?
Why are you throwing 9mm into everything?

ya ok if we are going to go with the whole police thing, lets be honest, yes the 9 is easier to shoot than a .45 or a .40 because there are so many ya hoo's that can shoot the braud side of a barn so they need a easier round to shoot with, so they actually might hit something!:lol: and yes la sheriff still issue 9mm but if you look at the really bad a$$ like swat they carry a .45, i have a .9 .45 .40 and i dont like the .40 oohh ya p.s its a glock!! :P

ya ok if we are going to go with the whole police thing, lets be honest, yes the 9 is easier to shoot than a .45 or a .40 because there are so many ya hoo's that can shoot the braud side of a barn so they need a easier round to shoot with, so they actually might hit something!:lol: and yes la sheriff still issue 9mm but if you look at the really bad a$$ like swat they carry a .45, i have a .9 .45 .40 and i dont like the .40 oohh ya p.s its a glock!! :P

I and others find that 1911 style .45's are easier to shoot for accuracy due to their design. And most .45 caliber pistol i've shot are easier to shoot than 9's and 40's due to their stiffer recoil springs and less felt recoil along with the cartridge design itself. Don't get me wrong though, proper training on either of the calibers provides good accuracy.

P.S PS, regardless of how "bad a$$" the swat team is, they make entry carrying RIFLES, SUBMACHINE guns and SHOTGUNS. Their sidearm serves as a back up and is rarely if ever deployed on a call out. Which points back to the previous post, shot placement, velocity and ballistics matter MORE than size. The bullet being fired out of an AR-15/M4 rifle that a swat operator will normally carry will have a .223 diameter, HALF the size of a .45. (You can shoot .22lr out of an AR-15! with a BCG swap). BUT due to it's velocity and ballistic, it is make a WAY more effective cartridge than a pistol round regardless of the size.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Well, I have read everything there is to read about handguns and whatnot. Basically I'm wasting my time.

The point is, I need to get out there and TRY all of them to make an educated decision about guns.
I have my saftey courses and all that done... But I don't want to waste $500-$600 on a gun I will end up not liking.

Looking for a range somewhere close that has a gun shop attached. So I can give a few of them a try.
Or a friend that has a few that wants to let me check them out...

James

Staff member
Well, I have read everything there is to read about handguns and whatnot. Basically I'm wasting my time.

The point is, I need to get out there and TRY all of them to make an educated decision about guns.
I have my saftey courses and all that done... But I don't want to waste $500-$600 on a gun I will end up not liking.

Looking for a range somewhere close that has a gun shop attached. So I can give a few of them a try.
Or a friend that has a few that wants to let me check them out...
Most ranges will have guns to rent.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I live in CA...
Where you guys have a gun shop/range, here in california stands a medical marijuana store...

EDIT: I found one in LA, but that's FAR