The Guns Thread

Quick reloads are over-rated and in my opinion it's all thanks to the video games. :bonk:

So when are you signing up? :salute:

I dont play video games! They are certainly overrated...but so is long range shooting. It's fun.
Probably a couple years. I just hope I dont change my mind.

.45acp has many many years of killing bad mofos.
.40s&w was developed to find the best caliber for police

.40 is a great middle ground - more rounds in a mag, sufficient knock-down power, etc
.45 is still awesome though - more knock-down power, less over penetration (by a little)

I dont know much about handguns...hope this helps!

James

Staff member

.40 is a great middle ground - more rounds in a mag, sufficient knock-down power, etc
.45 is still awesome though - more knock-down power, less over penetration (by a little)

That's pretty much what I've been told. :thumb: I know that a number of police departments around here use the .40

My primary Glock is a .40 :thumb:

that basically covers its! :thumb: the .40 is a little bit softer to shoot depending on what gun you are using but what it really comes down to is capacity and the power behind it.

I would take a 9mm over a .40 and .45 over a 9mm. I hate the .40 hype. The recoil is bar none the worst to shoot than most common calibers due to it's snappy feel. Shoot a modern .45 caliber pistol, then the 9mm, then the .40. The felt recoil goes up in that order. Shot placement is KEY over anything. Size of a bullet isn't going to kill you, velocity and ballistics are. Handguns and most rifles DO NOT have "knock down" power. With advances in modern day ammo, you don't need to worry about bigger being better. Sure police use the .40 cause it was "designed" for LE needs :blah:. In the end, some of the biggest agencies in the nation still issue 9mm. Look at LA County Sheriffs. They put down more bad guys then just about any other agency in the nation and they are still issued 9mm pistols.

James

Staff member
Look at LA County Sheriffs. They put down more bad guys then just about any other agency in the nation and they are still issued 9mm pistols.
That just means they have the highest crime rate in the nation.... :smirk: :stirthepot:

If you're going to be shooting it a lot, 9mm is the cheapest per round, with .40 being next.

I would take a 9mm over a .40 and .45 over a 9mm. I hate the .40 hype. The recoil is bar none the worst to shoot than most common calibers due to it's snappy feel. Shoot a modern .45 caliber pistol, then the 9mm, then the .40. The felt recoil goes up in that order. Shot placement is KEY over anything. Size of a bullet isn't going to kill you, velocity and ballistics are. Handguns and most rifles DO NOT have "knock down" power. With advances in modern day ammo, you don't need to worry about bigger being better. Sure police use the .40 cause it was "designed" for LE needs :blah:. In the end, some of the biggest agencies in the nation still issue 9mm. Look at LA County Sheriffs. They put down more bad guys then just about any other agency in the nation and they are still issued 9mm pistols.

Thanks for clearing that up. :thumb:

I hope you know I didn't mean knockdown power as actually being knocked down by the bullet. :lol: I meant it as in terminal ballistics. I was under the impression that .45acp had a little bigger of a wound cavity than .40s&w. But in actuality, it will also be effected by bullet type, velocity, :blah:. Now of course, shot placement is the most important.

If I were choosing between the two, I would pick .40 just for the extra round or two.

James

Staff member
I hope you know I didn't mean knockdown power as actually being knocked down by the bullet. :lol: I meant it as in terminal ballistics. I was under the impression that .45acp had a little bigger of a wound cavity than .40s&w. But in actuality, it will also be effected by bullet type, velocity, :blah:. Now of course, shot placement is the most important.
I've been told that on paper the .45 has more "take down" power, but in real life it's virtually the same. What the .40 lacks in mass it makes up for in velocity. Plus the extra rounds a .40 gives are always welcome, especially in a compact handgun like the G27.

IMG_3682.JPG

I've been told that on paper the .45 has more "take down" power, but in real life it's virtually the same. What the .40 lacks in mass it makes up for in velocity. Plus the extra rounds a .40 gives are always welcome, especially in a compact handgun like the G27.

IMG_3682.JPG

:thumb: Do you get 8+1? The only Glocks that look nice to me are the compacts...I like it.

Could use a little work on the fingernails. Remember, it's an art. :smirk:

"Take down" power :lol: Remember a .40 is only ONEmm larger in diameter (uses a 10mm bullet) than a 9mm. You think if you shoot a guy with a 9mm he will keep running thinking, "whew if that was ONEmm larger I would of been screwed" :rolleyes: You get 18rds of ammo in a G17. Not to mention the disadvantage of follow-up shots from the .40 because of its snappy recoil.

But to save the sake of beating a dead horse, we all have personal preferences so guys looking into different calibers, choose what makes you happy. But what ever you get, be trained and proficient with it. A small hit is better than a big miss.

"Take down" power :lol: Remember a .40 is only ONEmm larger in diameter (uses a 10mm bullet) than a 9mm. You think if you shoot a guy with a 9mm he will keep running thinking, "whew if that was ONEmm larger I would of been screwed" :rolleyes: You get 18rds of ammo in a G17. Not to mention the disadvantage of follow-up shots from the .40 because of its snappy recoil.

But to save the sake of beating a dead horse, we all have personal preferences so guys looking into different calibers, choose what makes you happy. But what ever you get, be trained and proficient with it. A small hit is better than a big miss.

You guys are arguing slim jims! The crutch of the comment comes out to if YOU as a CWP, can post your piece in the need and make it work! Do you practice it and make itwork?