Spokes, Anyone Have An Opinion?

Went back to Buchanans today, and they took the wrong set back with no hassle at all.:banana: The only problem was, that they were going to have to make them for the Excell hub special. She said if I wanted to wait, it would be a half an hour, I chose to come back the next day. I also ordered 36, but she said that the Excell hub should only be 32. I got home and counted, and give me the Picard, she was right.:picard:

So you just wanted extras? :smirk:

They might not be perfect, but those hubs sure look better than any hub I've had.

One observation about those spoke torque wrenches. They work great on nice fresh clean spokes. Give it some time for corrosion to set in and it can take a lot of force to just turn them, let alone the tension in the spoke itself. On real bad ones I've twisted the spoke in half before the threads ever turned.

They might not be perfect, but those hubs sure look better than any hub I've had.

One observation about those spoke torque wrenches. They work great on nice fresh clean spokes. Give it some time for corrosion to set in and it can take a lot of force to just turn them, let alone the tension in the spoke itself. On real bad ones I've twisted the spoke in half before the threads ever turned.

I agree. I wouldn't expect the torque wrenc to work corectly, unless the threads were freshly assembled. There were a few spokes I couldn't get to come off, in any other way then with the bolt cutters.

Would anti seez, or something like grease be a good thing to dip the threads in while assembling?
My spelling sucks!:P

They sell oil, but any kind of lube is needed for a true torque. I'll be going with with the antiseeze though.:prof:

I agree. I wouldn't expect the torque wrenc to work corectly, unless the threads were freshly assembled. There were a few spokes I couldn't get to come off, in any other way then with the bolt cutters.

They sell oil, but any kind of lube is needed for a true torque. I'll be going with with the antiseeze though.:prof:

oddly enough I use blue loctite on my spokes... It never siezes and never loosens...

I think the grey is the one you want to use tho...

After coating the hubs, there is a lot of clean up. First you have to chase the rotor threads. Be sure not to use a tap, but use a thread cleaner.
IMG_5036.jpg
A tap, on the left, will take off thread material also, setting yourself up for a stripped thread later.
IMG_5040.jpg
All spoke holes had to be reamed also.
IMG_5042.jpg
Then the new All Balls bearings, and seals were installed.
IMG_5043.jpg
And bam,a quick lace up, and I've got my wheel back.:banana:
IMG_5046.jpg

so what do you do or use to tru the wheels ?

In the past, I've just put the rim on the bike, and then put a zip tie somewhere, and trimmed it to the right length.
IMG_5049.jpg

This time, since I've got 3 wheels to do, I made a stand so I could do it on the bench.
IMG_5051.jpg

In the past, I've just put the rim on the bike, and then put a zip tie somewhere, and trimmed it to the right length.
View attachment 6083

This time, since I've got 3 wheels to do, I made a stand so I could do it on the bench.
View attachment 6084

YO! this guy is legit fo-sho!:thumb:

Damn Timo, have some boobies for such a good job...
boobies.gif

niceboobies.jpg