Spokes, Anyone Have An Opinion?

So I dropped the hammer on the first step to getting the scooters back in the dirt. I made a trip to Buchanans for 3 sets of spokes, and their cool torque wrench.
IMG_5014.jpg

Out of the spoke sets, I was only 2 for 3. I should have realized the 250's Excell hub would need a different length spoke then stock. So a trip back to Azusa is planned for in the near future.

But since I had my 450's spokes, I figured I'd get done what I could. Since I was going to coat my hubs, I had to strip them down.

Sprocket, and discs were first.
IMG_4997.jpg
Then the tires. Notice the flat spots on the rims.
IMG_4998.jpg
And the cracks.
IMG_5000.jpg
My reference shot for spoke allignment.:busted:
IMG_5001.jpg
The bare rims.
IMG_5003.jpg
I got some use out of those bad boys.
IMG_5011.jpg
Next step was to pull the spokes. I pulled 4 of each, so I could have a couple spares.
IMG_5004.jpg
Then I went for the easy route, using some small bolt cutters.
IMG_5006.jpg
Then pulled the seals
IMG_5007.jpg
IMG_5008.jpg
Snap ring removal from the one side.
IMG_5009.jpg
Then punched out the bearings.
IMG_5010.jpg
After the hubs were bare, I drilled them for the larger spokes.
IMG_5018.jpg
Then I washed the grease out of them.
IMG_5016.jpg
Then came a quick sand blasting, and masking.
IMG_5019.jpg
Since I was on a roll, I went to work, and coated them with a translucent blue.
IMG_5020.jpg
Ready for the oven.
IMG_5021.jpg
Much to my dismay, I picked the wrong color, or I went too thick, because this is not the color I was expecting.
IMG_5022.jpg
So back home Sunday morning, stripper was applied.
IMG_5023.jpg
So here is how they sit at the moment. Ready to be baked, reblasted, and recoated.
IMG_5025.jpg

I sure hope I get the color right the next time.:doh:

I was going to keep it, but since I won't have the new wheel bearings, and rear rim until Wednesday, I figured I had the time to redo the hubs.:prof:

that is cool as hell Tim. Im jealous ++ not only of the fact that you have access to all that equipment but also the skills it takes to operate it all correctly.... minus getting the colors correct :thumb:

What shade of blue are you trying to get?

More of a regular anodized blue. This just turned out too dark.:noidea:

that is cool as hell Tim. Im jealous ++ not only of the fact that you have access to all that equipment but also the skills it takes to operate it all correctly.... minus getting the colors correct :thumb:

It's not really that much skill. I could teach you everything you need to know in about 10 minutes. Then it's just paying attention, and taking your time at doing it.:thumb:

More of a regular anodized blue. This just turned out too dark.:noidea:

It's not really that much skill. I could teach you everything you need to know in about 10 minutes. Then it's just paying attention, and taking your time at doing it.:thumb:

sweet whens class?

I thought in order to get the anodized look you have to shoot a silver or chrome base first then the blue :noidea: atleast that is what I was told, hell you know what your doing more than me that is FO SHO!! awesome work TIMO :banana:

I thought in order to get the anodized look you have to shoot a silver or chrome base first then the blue :noidea: atleast that is what I was told, hell you know what your doing more than me that is FO SHO!! awesome work TIMO :banana:

A fresh sandblast job, gives you the same effect. At this point, I think I might switch and do a Dormant Blue. I also think I'm going to go the easy way out, and buy the night shift manager a burritto, and have him do it at night. :devil:

Went back to Buchanans today, and they took the wrong set back with no hassle at all.:banana: The only problem was, that they were going to have to make them for the Excell hub special. She said if I wanted to wait, it would be a half an hour, I chose to come back the next day. I also ordered 36, but she said that the Excell hub should only be 32. I got home and counted, and give me the Picard, she was right.:picard: