Spokes, Anyone Have An Opinion?

You're welcome.:smirk:

I'm not happy with Excells, and I've seen Warp 9's do very well. I've already got a W9 front hoop, but still need to pick up a rear, then 3 sets of spokes. There was a few unhappy W9 reviews, but I'm still on the fence.:thinking:

this is the 2nd excell i have cracked. The warp 9 didn't get as much ride time on my 525sx but it held up very well. I just swiped it over to my 530 since the 525 is still out of commission for another min

Just to keep the thread jacking up. Yes, and I wish shipping wasn't 650.00 bucks. I'll eat the gas in my truck but it will not even be close to that. Anyone need anything off the 10 from OC/CA to Tucson/AZ? I'll pick it up unless its a hooker.. :smirk::lol::prof:

I'll do it for $600.:devil:

5,459.00 OTD then I have to pay CA tax. at 4,999.00 hahaha :banana:
942 miles round trip door to door Divided by 20 MPG or so, X 3.70 per gallon.... :thinking:
175.00 bucks :finger: both....

:moon:

Just based on posts in various forums, the Excels seem to be a bit stronger than the W9's. My only data point are my two Excel's that have been through hell and back. They do have a few war wounds from my "testing." One thing is for sure, a big enough hit and any rim will get bent. I don't care who made it.

I just can't imagine that there is all that much difference with the spokes, and I'm sure any of those listed will work. Buchanan has a great rep though. You can't go wrong with those.

Now from my experience broken spokes usually are at least partially caused by overly tight spokes. Every bit of excess tension from over tightening reduces the amount of strength that the spoke has. Think of it this way. I have no idea of the actual numbers, but say a spoke has a 300 pound limit before breaking. Proper tightening is 25 pounds. Now what about "proper" spoke vs an over tightened one that is set to 150 pounds in an impact. The proper one can take a 275 pound impact before breaking. The over tightened one only has 150 of strength remaining. In a 225 pound impact one breaks and the other doesn't.

I had spoke breaking problems with my bike. I went over the wheel and found that they were all real tight. I backed off to a more reasonable tension and I've been able to ride for years with no more breakage.

After re-reading, with my head out of my ass, the Buchanan spoke set with stainless nipples are $30 more. The same spoke set as warp 9, with blue zinc steel nipples, are only $1 more.:thumb:

Also, Buttheads 3 spokes are just going to be replaced with 3 Excell spokes, leaving me some extra squish for their trick spoke torque wrench. :banana:

torque_wrench_1-lg.jpg

All of these broken wheels, I wonder if there is a weight limit. :thinking:

:idea: maybe you guys should not put so much water in your camelbacks to cut down on the weight.

:noidea:

:smirk:

Niceness... I've never seen a spoke torque wrench
There are cheaper ones out there, but this is the only one that has inch pounds. The others are non adjustable clickers.
All of these broken wheels, I wonder if there is a weight limit. :thinking:

:idea: maybe you guys should not put so much water in your camelbacks to cut down on the weight.

:noidea:

:smirk:
Yeah that's it, too much water.:smirk:
must be all those tuna boxes we carry
We could always cut our loops to 20 miles. 10 to the X, and 10 back to the truck.:thinking:

There are cheaper ones out there, but this is the only one that has inch pounds. The others are non adjustable clickers.

Yeah that's it, too much water.:smirk:

We could always cut our loops to 20 miles. 10 to the X, and 10 back to the truck.:thinking:

:banana:.....:thumb:....:clap:....:rocker:....:hyper:....:panic:....what am I thinking, this will never happen :loco:.....:lol: