RM250 rm250 starting issues

Don't pussy foot around... If you pull the jug take it to a local shop and have it spec'ed out then buy a piston and ring kit from wiseco via the local shop. the only time I re-ring a piston is when it has under 10hrs and I pull the jug for something else. everything else gets the kit and kaboodle.

thats what i figured... if i pull the top end off to check it i will only pull the head off... and check cyc walls and top of piston... if all looks good button it back up...and move on... if i pull the jug im going to do the top end

Your only four little small nuts away from pulling the clyinder off once you have the head off. Might as well take it off and replace the pistion. it is cheap insurance. If you loose that piston while running it you'll need to add another 225 to the 140 to get it replated.

If you tear the bike down and the piston looks to be in good shape, then there is no reason to replace the it, just ring it. Use the money on something else. Short story; When I was racing off-road on 250 2 strokes, I would take the jug off 4 times a year, every 3 months. Full top-end to start the year, then 3 months for rings only, 6 month mark, full top end, next 3 months rings only and so on. This was on a bike that was getting 30+ races a year at 60+ miles with each event.

Take the jug off and inspect the walls as well as the piston. If this is the first time you are doing this, then yes it is probably a good idea to make everything fresh so you know.

If you tear the bike down and the piston looks to be in good shape, then there is no reason to replace the it, just ring it. Use the money on something else. Short story; When I was racing off-road on 250 2 strokes, I would take the jug off 4 times a year, every 3 months. Full top-end to start the year, then 3 months for rings only, 6 month mark, full top end, next 3 months rings only and so on. This was on a bike that was getting 30+ races a year at 60+ miles with each event.

Take the jug off and inspect the walls as well as the piston. If this is the first time you are doing this, then yes it is probably a good idea to make everything fresh so you know.

The bike is new to him and 93 year bike, so who knows how long it has been since the last top end was put in. For 140 bucks. I would throw one at it for good measure. Then you will know what you have. Thats only if I had it apart tho.

The bike is new to him and 93 year bike, so who knows how long it has been since the last top end was put in. For 140 bucks. I would throw one at it for good measure. Then you will know what you have. Thats only if I had it apart tho.
The beauty about 2 strokes are that you can tell if a top end is needed by listening to the motor. When a top-end is getting near for replacement, you can start to hear some piston slap. Plus, you can feel the compression in the kick starter.

But I will agree with you Jackson and Mihylo, that a 93 and bought used, you do not know what the previous owner has done as far as maintenance and riding style. To protect your investment and enjoy a prolong relationship with your yellow scooter, I would spend the coin and do a complete top-end. Heck I would be pulling the clutch off and replacing that as well.

The beauty about 2 strokes are that you can tell if a top end is needed by listening to the motor. When a top-end is getting near for replacement, you can start to hear some piston slap. Plus, you can feel the compression in the kick starter.

But I will agree with you Jackson and Mihylo, that a 93 and bought used, you do not know what the previous owner has done as far as maintenance and riding style. To protect your investment and enjoy a prolong relationship with your yellow scooter, I would spend the coin and do a complete top-end. Heck I would be pulling the clutch off and replacing that as well.

:hug::clap:

Yes sir, OEM clutch baskets are a known weak spot in these yellow apparatuses. That why I put a Hinson and a new clutch set in mine as soon as I bought it. along with a new top end.:thumb:

money is the only thing stopping that much into my bike.....

the exhaust is just a weather related thing right now... thanks everyone for your time and thought :D

i was supposed to take it my uncles shop today to get to work on it... but my g/f has been sick the past few days...

money is the only thing stopping that much into my bike.....

the exhaust is just a weather related thing right now... thanks everyone for your time and thought :D

i was supposed to take it my uncles shop today to get to work on it... but my g/f has been sick the past few days...

Mistake #1....... Never clean up after them. Its there job to clean up after you. You have just sealed your fate.

Good luck with finding a clutch basket for that thing. Ive been trying to find one for mine and still havent found one. I can get all the other parts, friction plates, springs, and steels. But no baskets.

Good luck with finding a clutch basket for that thing. Ive been trying to find one for mine and still havent found one. I can get all the other parts, friction plates, springs, and steels. But no baskets.

I usually see them on Ebay alot...
Hey smoke just 33 more posts and you are in the old chat room again.

I usually see them on Ebay alot...
Hey smoke just 33 more posts and you are in the old chat room again.
feel free to post whore in my thread as much as you want too :D... you have helped me a schit load... ... james is too scared to come to the yellow section :wink:

....... i have read something somewhere about the clutch baskets breaking