Popping on decel cause???

Afterfire is common in over rich conditions or re-ignition situations where there is too much fuel in the exhaust. It can also happen if the valves are hanging, or too tight. The combustion chamber literally is open to the exhaust through the hanging valve that was supposed to be shut.
Back fires are common in lean situations as the over-stoichometric fuel condition can burst quickly back through the open intake valve that is feeding the hot cylinder.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Ok, now that you explained the differences I can now realize that Im running rich instead of lean. So after I check this header seal. Im going to put the stock 45 pilot jet back in and put my needle clip back to the standard 3 groove instead of the 5th.

Remove the header and inspect the header seal up in the head. It may be folded over or pinched.
This extended end, is that considered the gasket? Otherwise there is nothing else here, just the pipe.

(Second photo) It doesnt even look like its room to sit a seal/gasket there?

Attachments

• 20220406_173016.jpg
    20220406_173016.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220406_174030.jpg
    20220406_174030.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Can you explain what that is?

Also to anyone suggestion. Valves clearance is perfect, all at top end if spec. Timing was perfect still.
What I noticed when getting ready to put valve/cam cover back on is that Im able to pull back gasket on exhuast side with my finger.Not able to pull back intake side. Is it a chance air can seap thru enough to cause popping?
The air induction system (AIS) injects air into the exhaust port to help burn any unburned gasses. A side effect of that is decel popping. Usually the first thing people do is remove it and block off the fittings.

The air induction system (AIS) injects air into the exhaust port to help burn any unburned gasses. A side effect of that is decel popping. Usually the first thing people do is remove it and block off the fittings.
Must of been removed by first owner. Just looked up a video. I dnt have it on my bike

SRAD97750

Staff member
Should be a crush gasket in there.
Untitled-1.jpg

Yo, I want to mention I may have gone overboard in my basic description.
A good running 4T WILL BE RICH and will normally have extra fuel in the exhaust. This keeps the cylinder cooler and provides the best overall power for running.
This is not normally an issue, unless you have an air leak, where it will pop.
So don't go any leaner than a #45 and 1.5 turns on the screw. From the looks of the hot start application, your jetting is very close.

View attachment 33838

A good running 4T WILL BE RICH and will normally have extra fuel in the exhaust. This keeps the cylinder cooler and provides the best overall power for running.
So don't go any leaner than a #45 and 1.5 turns on the screw. From the looks of the hot start application, your jetting is very close.
Ok. Just got done tossing my 45 back in and putting needle clip back to groove#3.
I never had one of those seals in my exhaust. Because of the extending edge on my exhaust, it doesnt even look like it has room to fit but I will buy one from Partzilla since Chapparral doesnt even have that part number in their system.

SRAD97750

Staff member
HaHa, you asked if there is a quick way to tell if there is an exhaust leak at the header....
The photo you posted answers that pretty quickly.
20220406_174030.jpg

View attachment 33838

On another thread someone suggested throttle slide plate seal could be bad and causing air leak so Ima check some videos on that too.
I have been in my garage since noon changing shit, test riding, lol. Never ends. Just put bike back together and pretty sure will have to take carb off to get to throttle slide plate seal‍♂️

SRAD97750

Staff member
On another thread someone suggested throttle slide plate seal could be bad and causing air leak so Ima check some videos on that too.
I have been in my garage since noon changing shit, test riding, lol. Never ends. Just put bike back together and pretty sure will have to take carb off to get to throttle slide plate seal‍♂️
:picard: wouldn't that give you a lean condition? -BIG DAN:thumb:

HaHa, you asked if there is a quick way to tell if there is an exhaust leak at the header....
The photo you posted answers that pretty quickly.
View attachment 33839
Ok, lol. Closer to figuring out my problem. Good news finally. Ima order seal now. Its no dirt bike shops up here that actually sell gaskets and seals. I was willing to drive to Chapparral but I guess because that part is somewhat "new" as manual said, Chapparral dont have part number in their system. Might try giving them a call tomorrow morning

:picard: wouldn't that give you a lean condition? -BIG DAN:thumb:
Yes, it will, lol. Thing is, what Im noticing online. Most people are confusing the 2(backfire and popping) thats why I was confused. Whenever I google or YT popping on decel, everyone is saying its running lean, so it seems majority of people think they are the same.‍♂️