Popping on decel cause???

Are you coming out to ride with us this weekend in Newberry Springs or Apple Valley? -BIG DAN:thumb:
Apple Valley much closer, let me know where yall riding at out there. If this seal fixes my shit and all is good. For sure I will pull up. Get ya a lil beer or something for all the help, lol

Should be a crush gasket in there.
View attachment 33838

Yo, I want to mention I may have gone overboard in my basic description.
A good running 4T WILL BE RICH and will normally have extra fuel in the exhaust. This keeps the cylinder cooler and provides the best overall power for running.
This is not normally an issue, unless you have an air leak, where it will pop.
So don't go any leaner than a #45 and 1.5 turns on the screw. From the looks of the hot start application, your jetting is very close.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Installed crushed gasket and that causes exhaust braket to not seat flush with head surface. Testing and still popping, regardless of how much I have pilot screw turned in or out.

Attachments

• 20220408_172301.jpg
    20220408_172301.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 3
That's not an issue (bracket seating flush with head surface). Did the installation of the gasket make any difference?

Last edited:
That's not an issue (bracket seating flush with head surface). Did the installation of the gasket make any difference?
Not that I noticed, was still popping after. Didnt know what next steps to possibly fix and recall a few people on another thread saying some pilot screws dnt seal properly, so I changed the WorksConnection screw out with a Bikemasters I had just grabbed for extra while at Chapparral and now about 2 to 2 1/4 turns out I have brought the popping down, not completely gone but I will hear a single of double pop on decel after hitting 3rd gear here and there. So Im still gonna be tweaking it.
A little confused on how popping is supposed to mean Im too rich because too much fuel going into exhaust, but the only way I can minimize popping is by richen out PS screw, if I lean out pilot screw popping increases until I eventually rich a point of backfiring.
Some guy on another thread that does alot of jetting is saying it has alot to do with needle and that I should change needle to a D series needle so gonna try that. Someone else suggested to check accelerator pump so Ima get to that too.

I seen a few people online say that almost all Yzs pop on decel and that its normal, but I dnt know if that just gave up on properly tuning their bikes and accepted that or... So Im just trying to do all this testing to figure it out and hopefully it leads to me completely getting rid of pop.

Last edited:
I'm wrong, who cares. Not the first or last time.
Slap a #50 in there.
-BIG DAN:noidea:
In the beginning of all this testing and searching I had went back to stock 45 PJ. Gonna up to 48 and see what that do first.
Might attempt to go buy the tool to do a leak down test to fully elimate that as well.

Updates?
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Solution wise, no, lol(Popping is real minimal now but trying to eliminate it)
But what I have done was change both exhaust gaskets. Realized mid pipe gasket was bad(sprayed soapy water there and started bike and bubbles all around)

I also did a full carb rebuild. Changed mid body seal, throttle slide seal, accelerator pump seals and the rest of the other seals inside.
Hot start plunger screw was cross threaded(because its plastic)so I changed to an aluminum one.

Sprayed carb with carburetor cleaning while bike was running(seen that suggested online to pinpoint a leak) didnt get no change in rpms. Sprayed intake boot and engine side with soapy water, no bubbies.
Yesterday was messing with hot start free play, turned it all the way out and it popped a bunch more, turned it back in but pretty sure its not perfect so gotta set that to specs just didnt fully understand manual picture on setting it.(But didnt touch ut before hand and popping was already present so dnt think thats original cause)

On another forum someone said a bad needle/needle jet can contribute and sent me this explanation( https://dragonfly75.com/moto/idleslide.html )
So right now waiting on that to be delivered from Chapparall but they slow and still havent shipped it out.

I dnt know if bad exhaust packing could contribute, havent googled yet. Just thought of it, but I recall seeing a video of someone shaking exhaust, heard noise and said thats indication it needs new packing and mines does.
Right now I have 48 P.J and 168 M.J.
I feel like I have done everything and that it might just be exhaust still, just a real small leak.‍♂️