Pictures of bar bends?

rocks and ruts including some stumps sounds plain GORGEOUS to me. those of us who can ride that are the luckiest people in the world i think.
i agree its allways fun to watch people used to groomed trails an track come up here an ride. damn near vertical hills with big roots coming out seen many a folk launch there bikes into orbit trying to reach the top :banana:

yeah, covering ground quickly on that stuff takes a lot of "restraint' if you are going to go very far at least. knowing when to say when lol, is what it is all about. love taking people back over something they did dry after a rain!!

lol trail was a lil wet but near the end of it was a dozer pushing trees into the water. got stuck so bad when we got out 30 mins later about 40 yards we where covered head to toe in a thick sludge.trail.jpg

got miles and miles of that gorgeous stuff up here, yours looks as slick as ours in places
ah yes got to love these logging trails and decommissioned rail road tracks :wink:. this was on april fools day haha. snow was melting so everything was soaked good times good times.

Rc high bars have a lot of rise and he was only 5'3
Not sure if you can remember RC's 2002 Honda CR250. Have you ever seen the way RC set up the bike? I believe RC's bars look real tall because he lowered the seat. By about 1 inch or so. Then shaved a shite load of foam from the seat. Making the bars look to be taller than normal. I found this nice photo of him and the bike.
csteel_42_%234.jpg

Last edited:
If you look at the bar end in his left hand, compare it to the fork crown it doesn't look all that tall. Along with the seat his subframe gas been cut. I agree in how it made his bars look.

All of that makes sense. Ive been riding off and on for better than 25 years. Now that Im old enough and know what I like and what feels right and what feels wrong. I go with what I know. Since Im not really interested in going much faster than what I currently ride. Its all about riding in comfort, with in my comfort zone. I only race one desert race a year. And Im not really racing. I treat it like a big trail ride with a lot of people that I dont know. Some are courteous, most arent. Those that arent I let them pass even if it means I have to get out of there way. But Im comfortable and still do fairly well in my finishing order.

:thumb:

Not sure if you can remember RC's 2002 Honda CR250. Have you ever seen the way RC set up the bike? I believe RC's bars look real tall because he lowered the seat. By about 1 inch or so. Then shaved a shite load of foam from the seat. Making the bars look to be taller than normal. I found this nice photo of him and the bike.
csteel_42_%234.jpg
Or you could Google the bar bend... it's a high bend

And if you go to the protaper site you see the RC bar as 40 in rise and 77 in height, pretty much like what is on that motorcycle he is racing. A rise and height lower than the CR highs in fact. I bet he used something different for his freestyle shoots. I still like the ones that are more similar to race bars though. Anyway, from the photo you can see what he used on his race bike that time.

www.motorcycle-usa.com/295/1387/Motorcycle-Article/Behind-Rick

This is a shot of Carmichael's mechanic with his bike. Front is plastered with 'Protaper'. Look at the bars some 5 years after the Honda shot. Doesn't look high no matter who is behind it.

http://supercross.com/teams/legends/ricky-carmichael/
if you go there you can see RC's pics over about a ten year period. when he was on the KX he had renthal bars with a different bend, but you can see that even on his two stroke the bars were pretty similar to what most were using then. I didnt find any pics of him freestyling, so it makes you wonder when if ever he used the high bend that Renthal is selling. Protaper and Renthal offer bars with his name on them, and the dims conflict on all of them. The Protapers seem to have been his latest bars for racing by looking at the pictures with the endorsements.

Last edited:
yeah, that is the best way, better yet if you can get a bike with similar ones on it to at least sit on. used to be they were all steel and not too expensive, so you could buy some and sell them if you didnt like them. now they approach 100 dollars with some postage. I like mine to adjust to the reach I like, and still for the control area to be about level with the ground. i have used the same similar bend for so long it is pretty natural for me, b ut I have gone higher.