All ocotillo wells

Actually you fell for another distortion of facts.

The whole area was available before as unmanaged. It was litigated to HALF the size and the map shows what is left to us as a managed area. You think you just got more land. You really just lost half of what we used to ride. Typical land management SPIN !

Wow, if this is true, what a screen... that suck's!! I was all excited about this. I've only been in the S22 area a handful of times, not familar with the boundaries to know what was exisiting. Have you seen the map they were showing everyone over the weekend? They have a new one that just came out, but it's being revised again and the new one will be out in a few weeks. That's really too bad, thought I had good news to report ~ sorry to hear. Hoping this is wrong. :(

I have an old map, have to compare after the new one comes out.

I was up camping around s22 off of Holly Road area. We rode up to the new area and we felt it was a bit rocky for our liking. Seemed like you can't even get the bike out of 2nd or 3rd before you have to stop along the way. We talked to a ranger and he told us that you can ride south of the 86 outside of the park and it is all BLM land and is legal. You can ride all the way to the 8. :thinking: Supposedly, the riding is much better, less rocks, sand washes and cliffs. Need to check this out the next time down there.

I was up camping around s22 off of Holly Road area. We rode up to the new area and we felt it was a bit rocky for our liking. Seemed like you can't even get the bike out of 2nd or 3rd before you have to stop along the way. We talked to a ranger and he told us that you can ride south of the 86 outside of the park and it is all BLM land and is legal. You can ride all the way to the 8. :thinking: Supposedly, the riding is much better, less rocks, sand washes and cliffs. Need to check this out the next time down there.

OH BOY...My favorite!!! :shocked:

Wingnut.. can you explain more. Was this the Freemont property? And, if so, it's been ridden on for years by the public, but wasn't monitored and technically was private property to the owner/title holder all along. Then they sold it in 2006 and the CA Park systems took it over? And, now the State has subdivided it, a portion to Anza Borrgeo and the other to Ocotillo OHV. And, while this area to Oco is open for public use and will be managed by the Park System, they plan to continue doing studies on this area to complete the General Use Plan for this area?? Meaning, there remains no guarantee that any of it will remain open indefinetely for public OHV use. Is this correct?? If this was private property at one time, technically it was never ours to claim, regardless.. of how long the land sat unused and unmonitored. I haven't paid attention to this area, maybe I have my info wrong??

I've ridden to the 8 and past. It's not legal for green sticker bikes, but like that would stop me. It's really not much different then the park, but if you get East of Pole Line, there are some great, no traffic washes, and there's also some good stuff to the North-East of Shell Reef. Either of these places, even on Holiday weekends, you won't see another bike. :thumb:

I've ridden to the 8 and past. It's not legal for green sticker bikes, but like that would stop me. It's really not much different then the park, but if you get East of Pole Line, there are some great, no traffic washes, and there's also some good stuff to the North-East of Shell Reef. Either of these places, even on Holiday weekends, you won't see another bike. :thumb:

You can ride green sticker to the South on BLM (Federal) land. You just can't cross into State Park Land near Split Mountain. Stay to the East of the mountain and out of the Military property and it's all good.

You can ride green sticker to the South on BLM (Federal) land. You just can't cross into State Park Land near Split Mountain. Stay to the East of the mountain and out of the Military property and it's all good.

Yes, you're right. I meant no greeens, South of the 8. Once you get South of the 78, you'll hit Soups, and Plaster City, which are both open areas. :noidea:

Actually, just South of Plaster City, between the 8, and the border, is the YUHA ACEC. It is a limited use area, which is mostly plated only.

Then this is the place I need to visit next. New Years Weekend was a complete cluster ---- of machinery going every direction possible. My small group likes to ride and stay away from lots of traffic which was impossible in the park. We had to watch out for trophy trucks, dune buggies, Jeeps and a million inexperienced kids coming at us from all directions. Also had to pull over for the ambulance and rangers coming at us with all the lights and sirens blaring, out in the middle of the desert of all places.

Then this is the place I need to visit next. New Years Weekend was a complete cluster ---- of machinery going every direction possible. My small group likes to ride and stay away from lots of traffic which was impossible in the park. We had to watch out for trophy trucks, dune buggies, Jeeps and a million inexperienced kids coming at us from all directions. Also had to pull over for the ambulance and rangers coming at us with all the lights and sirens blaring, out in the middle of the desert of all places.

Timo, I don't recall having this in Spangler :moon::P

Trying to ride IN the park on a holiday is not just dangerous, it's damn right scary. On the way back from the last ride on Saturday the 1st, it was at least 8 times I had to stop, and wait until it was safe. I still will ride OW, it's easier to get away from everyone, then SPANGLER.
Timo, I don't recall having this in Spangler :moon::P

Try riding to the crapper in Teagle in the AM on Turkey weekend, then we'll talk. :moon:

Then this is the place I need to visit next.

Riding the Mexican border is not the answer. Just ride on NON-Holiday weekends ANYWHERE YOU WANT... or hook up with people that know the area. Why do people go to the most popular places on the busiest holidays and then act surprised that the place is clogged with users ? :thinking:

I was in Ocotillo for a week... I barely saw ANYONE but my people where we rode, because I didn't cruise the tourist spots. :prof: