250 New here

So it cranks, you're getting spark, you sprayed some sort of combustible substance into the air box, and it doesn't run?
Either your plug is fouled and not firing, your timing is out of whack, or you have low compression, or a combination of the aforementioned.
What else is there?

Got a photo of that spark plug?

I don't have a pic of the plug. Why do you need it? I did discover that the fuel cutoff doesn't work. I'm hoping it's just constantly flooding the carbs. That and there's probably some sort of trash caught in the carbs. I'm getting a compression test tool from my in-law so I'll check that later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ossa (Andy) was joking when he asked if it had more than 1 carb as you referred to your carb as carbs, (plural) and yes you can put a very small amount of 2T in a 4T tank as Mhiylo33 (Mike) mentioned,,
A pic of the end of your spark plug tells its own story of what's going on during combustion/firing, so pull the plug, take a good pic of the end of it and one of the very highly experienced guys already helping will be able to give a decent diagnosis!

Ossa (Andy) was joking when he asked if it had more than 1 carb as you referred to your carb as carbs, (plural) and yes you can put a very small amount of 2T in a 4T tank as Mhiylo33 (Mike) mentioned,,
A pic of the end of your spark plug tells its own story of what's going on during combustion/firing, so pull the plug, take a good pic of the end of it and one of the very highly experienced guys already helping will be able to give a decent diagnosis!

2cb479334c7fcae35be0227bfb205e83.jpg

I've never oiled the carbs (they need greased/oiled??) unless you mean air filter oil. I've tried a number of times holding the throttle wide open (on choke and off) with no success and as far as I know it's only got the single carb.

Another side note. The only time I got it to run for about 5 seconds I had it choked.

Good thing you didnt oil the carbs. Somewhere I thought I read in your previous posts (that I am not about to go back through again) that you cleaned and oiled the air cleaner. Sooooooooooooooooooooo if you did that, MAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE you could have overoiled it to the point it is at and not running right.

Good thing you didnt oil the carbs. Somewhere I thought I read in your previous posts (that I am not about to go back through again) that you cleaned and oiled the air cleaner. Sooooooooooooooooooooo if you did that, MAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE you could have overoiled it to the point it is at and not running right.

I may have done this as I've taken the carb apart and cleaned it with brake cleaner and now it runs like a dream. Found out the compression test tool was faulty so I'm not sure how well it will run in the future but right now she's running smooth. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I may have done this as I've taken the carb apart and cleaned it with brake cleaner and now it runs like a dream. Found out the compression test tool was faulty so I'm not sure how well it will run in the future but right now she's running smooth. Thanks for the help!

We have a rule here: clean the carb twice and then once more for luck.
You won't believe the amount of ppl that come here stating their carb is clean....

We have a rule here: clean the carb twice and then once more for luck.
You won't believe the amount of ppl that come here stating their carb is clean....

Well I've never said it was clean. In fact no one here really wanted me to clean the carb...which I never actually saw anything come out of the carb when I cleaned it.

no one here really wanted me to clean the carb...
I guess that makes you the first person to actually take the initiative and do something constructive without being told to do so. Well done!
I think p841 suggested you soak it, but we've said "clean your carbs" so many times we forget to repeat ourselves

Did you clean both of them? Or only one?

Which btw if anyone wants a good cleaning solvent use brakleen. You won't believe how well it works.

Don't use brake cleaner for carb cleaning unless it's used for the brass jets by themselves. The chemicals in it like chlorite have horrible effects on certain plastics and gaskets that are used in carbs.
It doesn't always happen but I've seen brake cleaner do horrible things to a carb.

Don't use brake cleaner for carb cleaning unless it's used for the brass jets by themselves. The chemicals in it like chlorite have horrible effects on certain plastics and gaskets that are used in carbs.
It doesn't always happen but I've seen brake cleaner do horrible things to a carb.

Are any of these ingredients the ones you're talking about? I hate to switch back to carb cleaner bc this stuff works like a dream.

f80179d0959d3de04c12bca40b912e74.png

If you continue to use brake cleaner the plastic and rubber parts will probably become brittle and eventually fail, that's why carb cleaner is for a carb and brake cleaner is for brakes!