250 New here

Hello all. I've just acquired my very first dirt bike for next to nothing. I'm assuming there's going to be a number of problems as the previous owner broke his back after taking a jump wrong and subsequently the bike is a little beat up as well. However it fired right up first try, every try and ran great! (Even came with a rigged up lightbar!) So I get the bike home and take her for a spin around the house before parking it for a good maintenance check. First things first, I'm an idiot who jumped the gun by taking apart the air filter box without doing any research on it. I never knew air filters were ever oiled so when I found an only slightly dirty air filter that was quite moist with oil I hit the web trying to figure out how oil could have gotten into the air filter housing! [emoji58] I've gotten the cleaning solvent, filter oil, and gasket sealant on order atm. Possibly upgrading to a K&N air filter down the line.

I also wanted to ask this forum their opinion on what motor oil I should use. I was told shell rotella T was a good cheap oil but I wanted to be sure. Thanks in advance!

31012c8d1b4ba00cc6e2eb0bcce5bd72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!!!!
That's a relatively new TTR230. Great beginners bike and it will last you years and years!

The K&N set up is nice but you have to use their cleaner and oil. I have one on my TTR125. I run rottella 15w40 in my TTR and have no issues with it at all. Keep up with the service and the bike will last forever!

K&N filters do not work well in heavy dust filled environments. It probably won't affect you, but don't come to California or the Mexican silt beds.

K&N filters do not work well in heavy dust filled environments. It probably won't affect you, but don't come to California or the Mexican silt beds.

Speaking of Mexicans, no matter how you feel about our friends from south of the border, it would be a good time for the OP to meet, and get cozy with MANUAL. FYI after living in dust and silt I have had a really hard time looking at a K and N as an upgrade.

A tt230 cheap is a great find.

Any of the 15/40 diesel grade (like I have seen any 15/40 that wasn't intended for diesels) will suffice. The Shell line is suggested because of a JASCO certification. The part of that certification which is meaningful is that it was tested and approved for wet clutches. Kind of a moot point for me since I have used 3 brands often and one (Chevron Dello 15/40) for hundreds of hours on wet clutches without a problem. To get the certification a company needs to spend some money to prove it meets etc, and the other companies have not seen a value to get a diesel oil approved for we clutch applications.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder about the manual. I'll find it online as soon as I can. I don't plan on taking it on dusty tracks or sand. I will check the filter every other ride. I don't suppose there's an aftermarket filter box cover that's see-through? So I don't have to buy a gallon of gasket sealant.

Welcome to DBA Charles :wave:
A stock filter box cover with correct fixings without the aid of sealant will suffice as its not meant to be sealed!
Surely there is one on eebers cheap enough:noidea:
P.s. don't buy the gallon of sealant

Thanks for the reminder about the manual. I'll find it online as soon as I can. I don't plan on taking it on dusty tracks or sand. I will check the filter every other ride. I don't suppose there's an aftermarket filter box cover that's see-through? So I don't have to buy a gallon of gasket sealant.

A stock filter box cover with correct fixings without the aid of sealant will suffice as its not meant to be sealed!

Dex, Red is right. The sealant goes between the rim of the filter and the airbox. It's not for the side panel/cover. I just use grease as a sealant. :thumb:

pg. 2 of the manual

How to use the motorcycle
Give throttle and let out the clutch slowly and be careful to not point motorcycle towards fence or parked vehicles.
2. Do not attempt to jump this motorcycle, damage to motorcycle, or personal injury and/or death may result.
3. When first attempting to ride motorcycle, always ensure hand held device is in record mode.

Dex, Red is right. The sealant goes between the rim of the filter and the airbox. It's not for the side panel/cover. I just use grease as a sealant. :thumb:

Ah thanks for the heads up. I've just sealed the filter to its place in the air box.

I've got the original cover (but I am missing the same cover for the battery) I didn't buy a gallon. Splurged on a whole 3oz's of it! [emoji1303]