250 New here

It's not the ethanol per say but the reaction it has with the brass and aluminum.

Ethanol sucks
A51A7ED1-746B-4B83-8DA7-40EA649A5F75.jpg

Fortunately for me I have the luxury of not running ethanol pump gas in my bikes. Well, I do in my streetbike only because it's not practical. Dirtbikes get VP 110 and Everything else gets what big Dan calls streetblaze 100. Used to have to clean the jet on that toro mower twice a year, but since I've been using no eth gas I haven't cleaned it once in two seasons, and fires first pull even after sitting (with gas in it) all winter.
I may try the chainsaw oil thing, but what I'm doing is working however wasteful if may be. What special about chainsaw oil vs regular 2 stroke oil

It's not the ethanol per say but the reaction it has with the brass and aluminum.
Use marine stabil in your gasand lately I've been mixing chainsaw premix oil into it. About 2oz per 3-5 gals of premium. It's eliminated the clogging issue so far in all of my small engines.

Alright thanks. After I run this tank out I'll fill it with non-ethanol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a 2009. I've seen that site. They only have owners manuals. All it says is to take it to Yamaha. I believe I've found the service manual tho.

In retrospect. the file size did look kinda small. That sucks, the PDF's for the big bikes are 400+ pages and quite comprehensive.

Alright. Well all of this is moot at this point as I've still not been able to get it running for more than 5 seconds. I'm thinking there's something clogging the carbs. Anyone know how to take them apart? Or have a reference I can look at?

https://youtu.be/TlYTWHyV-DM

That has more than one carburetor? If you over oil one it can get oil into those little passages you see on the air cleaner side of the "bell" of the caburetor. Usually it wont keep one from running with lots of throttle, but I would start there.

it will also usually clear itself out as the filter starts to get dirty. and fuel passes through the carb Although I have a hard time seeing a filter over oiled that severly

Fortunately for me I have the luxury of not running ethanol pump gas in my bikes. Well, I do in my streetbike only because it's not practical. Dirtbikes get VP 110 and Everything else gets what big Dan calls streetblaze 100. Used to have to clean the jet on that toro mower twice a year, but since I've been using no eth gas I haven't cleaned it once in two seasons, and fires first pull even after sitting (with gas in it) all winter.
I may try the chainsaw oil thing, but what I'm doing is working however wasteful if may be. What special about chainsaw oil vs regular 2 stroke oil

Any of the cheap 2t oil will work. I use whatever I have mixed up for weed whackers and saws and stuff. The small engine mix stuff has all the stabilization chemicals in it already. It also helps keep valves guides cleaner and such.

That has more than one carburetor? If you over oil one it can get oil into those little passages you see on the air cleaner side of the "bell" of the caburetor. Usually it wont keep one from running with lots of throttle, but I would start there.

I've never oiled the carbs (they need greased/oiled??) unless you mean air filter oil. I've tried a number of times holding the throttle wide open (on choke and off) with no success and as far as I know it's only got the single carb.

Another side note. The only time I got it to run for about 5 seconds I had it choked.

Last edited:
Any of the cheap 2t oil will work. I use whatever I have mixed up for weed whackers and saws and stuff. The small engine mix stuff has all the stabilization chemicals in it already. It also helps keep valves guides cleaner and such.

I can put oil in the gas tank and it won't hurt anything? I could've sworn that's how people burn up a 4 stroke motor.

So it cranks, you're getting spark, you sprayed some sort of combustible substance into the air box, and it doesn't run?
Either your plug is fouled and not firing, your timing is out of whack, or you have low compression, or a combination of the aforementioned.
What else is there?

Got a photo of that spark plug?