Pro MILLSAPS ON KTM

I don't get the whole racing motocross thing and how it relates to bike sales. Most people buying the bikes aren't buying them to do what they see on TV. AND if you are doing what you are seeing on TV chances are you aren't buying your own bikes.

I don't know why these companies don't support the grass roots racing like D 37 or any other desert racing or racing at local tracks. These are the guys that are buying their own bikes and these are the people that need the support.

As for the Kawasaki in the desert. We don't see much here in nevada either. Although there are some trick modifications you can do to make it a nice desert machine most people just don't want to spend the time or money on it.

Not to hijack the thread. I think Davi is going to do well on this bike. It is a factory unit and I think he will get the help he needs to get all the little quirks figured out. With Tomac and Hahn moving up it should be interesting next year.

Thank you, another voice of reason. That's what I was referring to. I am in the market to buy my son a bike. Not too concerned if he wants to be like "X" rider if I am buying the bike. It's about how the off the show room floor bikes reliability is as I don't have a $200K budget for some minor tweaks :lol:

Oh, and don't worry about hijacking this thread, the kool-aid drinking Mrs. ABC does it all the time :P :wave:

I don't get the whole racing motocross thing and how it relates to bike sales. Most people buying the bikes aren't buying them to do what they see on TV. AND if you are doing what you are seeing on TV chances are you aren't buying your own bikes.

I don't know why these companies don't support the grass roots racing like D 37 or any other desert racing or racing at local tracks. These are the guys that are buying their own bikes and these are the people that need the support.

As for the Kawasaki in the desert. We don't see much here in nevada either. Although there are some trick modifications you can do to make it a nice desert machine most people just don't want to spend the time or money on it.

Not to hijack the thread. I think Davi is going to do well on this bike. It is a factory unit and I think he will get the help he needs to get all the little quirks figured out. With Tomac and Hahn moving up it should be interesting next year.

Thank you, another voice of reason. That's what I was referring to. I am in the market to buy my son a bike. Not too concerned if he wants to be like "X" rider if I am buying the bike. It's about how the off the show room floor bikes reliability is as I don't have a $200K budget for some minor tweaks :lol:

Oh, and don't worry about hijacking this thread, the kool-aid drinking Mrs. ABC does it all the time :P :wave:

Back to the "marketing ploy"... The purchase of a product is solely in the mind of the purchaser however, the producer of the product wants YOU... JOE PUBLIC to buy his product therefore he is going to advertise it as much as possible which is why many if not all sponsers do just that...sponser... people see what their products can do so they HOPE the consumer goes out and buys it.

With that said, why bother hanging banners everywehere or sticking the product badge on the sides of bikes if no one cares what it is or how it did for the guy riding it?

It's called marketing... Kids that play sports follow their favorite player and try and mimmick what he does down to his gear... Jeter is an awesome shortstop and uses a "brand X" glove so little Joey knows that and that's what he wants so he too can be awesome!

Then there is the consumer buyer (like TS) who weighs all the possibilities, takes everything into consideration and starts filtering it out... and buys what he feels is the best for his money... Not everyone is that way otherwise everyone would be driving silver Toyota Camrys... :noidea: (boring.. but to each his own) Many people will by on impulse, the latest trend, fashion, hottest item... that leads to what bikes are winning the most, that is where the market heads.

:prof:............... :shocked:.... I think

Yes, Marketing 101. You are right but taking it to a different level than I was. I'm just staying on the level of the bike mfg's pouring money into winning races and then seeing that translate into sales. It is definitely NOT working for Suzuki. I see almost 0 Suzukis when I go riding. I said almost, so back off the, but I saw.....

Go to the desert, track or anywhere else (except a dual sport ride :-) ) and the majority of bikes will be Honda's. Most of my friends who race D37 are all on 450X's with a few on R's.

IMO, if the Japanese mfg. we're to build a dual sport bike like the 450X or WR, but with a plate, the KTM dual sports sales would go by the way of the cabbage patch dolls. The cabbage patch what? Exactly! :lol:

And I have a silver Camry and a Bounder MH. Both good "bang for your buck" vehicles. Not sexy, that is all me :banana:

And, lighten up Francis :P

James

Staff member
BTW - winning Supercross/Motocross/Nascar/Gocarts/Chariot/Wheelchair/et. all doesn't sell bikes. If that was true, there would be a lot more Suzuki's out there with what Charmicael did on his bike.

That was years ago, consumers have forgotten about that, it's all about the here and now.

The winning and selling machines, I still can't get there. There are really no Kawasaki's out there in the desert to speak of. I know they are a motocross bike but there are a LOT of CRF450R's in the desert so that isn't it. They have dominated the 250 class for years and RV has for a bit now.

You're comparing two different disciplines, go see who's winning at all the pro desert events. Also here are some stats from the recent VetFest at Redbud (all 18+ riders).

Number of bikes per manufacturer:
Honda - 75
Kawasaki - 60
Yamaha - 49
KTM - 28
Suzuki - 26

Even though you may never buy a bike like that doesn't mean others won't, there's a lot of brand/rider whores at there.

That was years ago, consumers have forgotten about that, it's all about the here and now.

You're comparing two different disciplines, go see who's winning at all the pro desert events. Also here are some stats from the recent VetFest at Redbud (all 18+ riders).

Number of bikes per manufacturer:
Honda - 75
Kawasaki - 60
Yamaha - 49
KTM - 28
Suzuki - 26

Even though you may never buy a bike like that doesn't mean others won't, there's a lot of brand/rider whores at there.
Ugh....what I am talking about is when I go RIDING. I don't give a shit who races in the Beg/Nov/Vet/Women/Exp w/dog on his lap (John McCown and Kookie for those not old enough to have seen him in the D37 races) et.all. I am just talking about people who go out riding. Maybe I am wrong, so be it. I just don't think the manufactures are marketing to the racers out there. Like the previous poster mentioned, the target market is the "family". Maybe they race. But I really dont' think the majority do. So that would mean the majority of the consumer dollars are spent on the recreational riding. At least in the Western part of the US. So go to your recreationalk riding spots and look around.

It's called over analyzing things and WAY too much effort. I just ride. I go out to the desert and ride. I look around. Hey, look, there are a shit load of Honda's out here. Not a single Kawi. Hmmm, not a single Suzuki. Quit a few Yamaha's. A LOT of KTM's. You think that is because of all the European winners? Or Dungey has that many fans?

Again, I am just making a casual observation of the bikes of choice at the riding spots I ride at. That is it. Not too many Husabergs cause their pricks get all tingley cause they bought something "exotic":noidea:

James

Staff member
Ugh....what I am talking about is when I go RIDING. I don't give a shit who races in the Beg/Nov/Vet/Women/Exp w/dog on his lap (John McCown and Kookie for those not old enough to have seen him in the D37 races) et.all. I am just talking about people who go out riding. Maybe I am wrong, so be it. I just don't think the manufactures are marketing to the racers out there. Like the previous poster mentioned, the target market is the "family". Maybe they race. But I really dont' think the majority do. So that would mean the majority of the consumer dollars are spent on the recreational riding. At least in the Western part of the US.
I think it's a little of both, the racers are more like you in that they will research a bike pretty well before buying it. Bike performance is more important than if a certain pro is riding it. However IMO the strictly recreational people are more the ones that aren't as informed and will buy whatever a certain pro is riding.
So go to your recreationalk riding spots and look around.

I do (open rides at the track) and KTM's are hard to find.
It's called over analyzing things and WAY too much effort. I just ride. I go out to the desert and ride. I look around. Hey, look, there are a shit load of Honda's out here. Not a single Kawi. Hmmm, not a single Suzuki. Quit a few Yamaha's. A LOT of KTM's. You think that is because of all the European winners? Or Dungey has that many fans?
We [obviously] don't have desert around here and there's not that much trail riding, so motocross (racing or just hitting up private/practice tracks) is the big thing. Which is why I posted those number to show you that in a different discipline KTM is at the bottom (slowly working up), while Honda and Kawi are popular (from what I've seen especially Kawi for the non-racers).

IMO the reason that KTM is so popular in the dez/off road is because of the specific off road models they offer.

IMO the reason that KTM is so popular in the dez/off road is because of the specific off road models they offer.
It's funny though, how many variants to a bike does the market "need". Apparently a lot:crazy: cause I don't think there is a cc displacement KTM hasn't at one time or another mfg'd:smirk:

On the "uniformed" recreational rider, I don't know. I still think they will by whatever is being sold at the local dealer at a reasonable price. I live in North OC, CA and I cannot think of a Suzuki dealer and their HQ is 3 miles from my house. I can not think of a Kawi dealer. There is 1 KTM dealer but again, for the "uninformed" recreational rider, I think sticker shock would be an understatement. I can think of 3 Honda dealers and 2 Yamaha dealers. We have a dealer that sells pretty much all the mfg. (Bert's Mega Mall). It would be interesting to see their breakdown of sales as they sell Suz, Kawi, Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Husky.

I see your point of view as your accessible riding areas are more limited to organized events. CA sucks in soooo many different ways but we still have an expansive and diverse choice of riding options. It is shrinking and will continue. I admit I am pig headed for lack of a better term (but not more appropriate) because I am honest with myself and accept it. I like known qualities. I will never have a variable mortgage rate, I will continue to buy a Honda or Yamaha until I can see for myself that other mfg's products have improved in quality. Because they say so doesn't make it so.

We all work hard for our money, spend it where you feel it is money well spent:thumb::cheers:

ps - as long as it is on :ride::smirk:

Ugh....what I am talking about is when I go RIDING. I don't give a shit who races in the Beg/Nov/Vet/Women/Exp w/dog on his lap (John McCown and Kookie for those not old enough to have seen him in the D37 races) et.all. I am just talking about people who go out riding. Maybe I am wrong, so be it. I just don't think the manufactures are marketing to the racers out there. Like the previous poster mentioned, the target market is the "family". Maybe they race. But I really dont' think the majority do. So that would mean the majority of the consumer dollars are spent on the recreational riding. At least in the Western part of the US. So go to your recreationalk riding spots and look around.

Again, I am just making a casual observation of the bikes of choice at the riding spots I ride at. That is it. Not too many Husabergs cause their pricks get all tingley cause they bought something "exotic":noidea:

You are right TS, the majority of DB owners do not race however that doesn't mean the factories don't target them as well. It's an all inclusive deal... you ride therefore you are my next potential customer so I want you to see what it can do and what can do for you, etc...

Now as for being "one of those guys with a tingley prick...".... YUP, I bought it because it is NOT part of the "gray factor", I don't like to follow except for on the trail... :prof: was that taking a step on the wild side with that move? sure was... I did it with my eyes wide open. I cared less... I wasn't already thinking of the possibilities of it breaking down and the cost, etc. Instead I was thinking hey, I won't blend in, it's different, the engineers that make it made Husky's and they're winners. Was this ignorant... maybe but so what I got what I wanted period. If something happens (as it has) it's MY dealio to figure out and take care of. PLUS because I don't ride it nearly as hard as the rest of you guys I knew I'd be OK...

As I've said before, I've had my Suzuki (great bike), Yamaha (best) and Honda (not the best but close)... each one however served it's purpose and were good bikes. When I got back into riding (15 years after retiring and selling my Honda) I decided to fullfill my dream and get a Husky... after a couple years, one thing led to another PLUS the left side kick was getting old along with me so I decided it was time for a new bike and decided to get a Berg!

The End - True story..... :thumb:

PS TS (rhymes... ) Wouldn't consumer reviewing be considered over analysing? :smirk: