Los Padres National Forest RR

There is still a bunch of stuff up there to ride that you guys have not seen, like the ridge I was gonna go on in the first place. We shall see what the weather does.

[quote="Weathergeek, post: 114557, member: 77"]There is still a bunch of stuff up there to ride that you guys have not seen, like the ridge I was gonna go on in the first place. We shall see what the weather does.[/quote]

Take me:hyper:
Take me:banana:

I like a little forest ride. :thumb:

Nice ride report. Look forward to riding with you guys.

As for your bike batteries:

1) use a tender
2) turn key off - fuel injection drains it fast
3) get the heavy duty battery -
4) stop falling over :smirk:

Yes good times indeed. Why a great group and what nice guys the "twins" are, Martin and Jonathan. Still some tackiness up there too. As for the switchbacks of Lockwood, I was going good when I came upon a downed rider blocking the trail near the top and promptly fell over.:shocked: So much for momentum. Decided to turn around as some or the others probably would not make it. Great day, great weather. The forest will only be open for another month or so, so get it while you can.:thumb: BTW Rez, we did not do the trail I originally wanted to do. This one had many switchbacks for your riding pleasure.:smirk:

Blip the throttle and pop over the downed rider :smirk:

I like a little forest ride. :thumb:

Nice ride report. Look forward to riding with you guys.

As for your bike batteries:

1) use a tender
2) turn key off - fuel injection drains it fast
3) get the heavy duty battery -
4) stop falling over :smirk:

My brother and I are getting the Shorai lithium ion batteries put in when we take our bikes in for service this upcoming week! Plus I'm ordering that Sic Racing switch that allows me to turn off the light when riding during the light hours. So hopefully the issue never arises again. :thumb: As far as stopping falling over...I'm doing my best! :crash::lol:

My brother and I are getting the Shorai lithium ion batteries put in when we take our bikes in for service this upcoming week! Plus I'm ordering that Sic Racing switch that allows me to turn off the light when riding during the light hours. So hopefully the issue never arises again. :thumb: As far as stopping falling over...I'm doing my best! :crash::lol:

I would still add a tender :prof:

I recently got the Shorai and it seems good. no issues so far, seems to have cranking power. I also got the shorai battery charger. you can't use a normal charger with those batteries. the Shorai is smaller and lighter, but more powerful than a regular battery too.

I recently got the Shorai and it seems good. no issues so far, seems to have cranking power. I also got the shorai battery charger. you can't use a normal charger with those batteries. the Shorai is smaller and lighter, but more powerful than a regular battery too.
Seems like a win all around. I was reading off their site and it says if you ride at least once a month you don't even need a tender...interesting and I like it.

I would still add a tender :prof:
Agreed... cheaper than a lithium. $25

But if you go Shorai get their charger.

This why they are WRONG about not getting a charger. They know that Lithium has little self discharge and will not harm itself from partial charges sitting in the garage. But thats NOT the whole story.

The bikes system is not a great charging system first off. It is meant to simply maintain the battery... not throw a recharge on it while riding.

Nothing against KTM... NO VEHICLE SHOULD EVER BE USED AS A BATTERY CHARGER.

You will drain any battery after a grueling ride that makes you restart the bike many times all day. The headlight and fan take NOTHING compared to the starter motor. Saving a few amps on the light all day is almost meaningless compared to two or three extra starts.

The bike may start OK when the ride is over because the battery has not dropped below the CCA - Cranking Amps of the starter. But the battery could be 30% low. When next you ride and it's 4 hours across the desert you will be charged sure. But what if thats not the ride you take. And do you really want your charging system running max amps through the system all day anyway... when you could have started the day with a totally fresh battery.

Or maybe your next ride is on switchbacks where you dump 12 times. Do you wanna start that ride with the battery low by 30% from last ride ?

Lithium is great for not damaging itself when you leave it charged or partly discharged. But it still should be properly charged to 100% for your next ride. Not because the battery will be harmed like a standard AGM. But because you never wanna start a ride at anything less than 100% full charge for the ride.

I won't spend money on a Lithium because I know a $25 battery tender on a $48 heavy duty battery gets me more Amp Hours and more starts than a high tech Shorai. All batteries fail eventually. If you maintain them with a tender the cheaper and more powerful AGM battery will live as long as your lithium.

You decide what you want. But start every ride with a fully charged battery.

Love always... Uncle Jeff

I have a friend that dropped Shorai batteries from their racing roster. He found them to be too undepenable for superbike and supersport racing.

I have a friend that dropped Shorai batteries from their racing roster. He found them to be too undependable for superbike and supersport racing.

Fixed. :thumb: (It bugged me) lol

And most people say Shorai batteries are very reliable and great for racing due to their lightweight. But there are always "naysayers".