Los Padres National Forest RR

Don't worry guys and gals. the switchbacks of lockwood aren't technically switchbacks, but the climb could be a bugger to make. depends on your mindset, momentum, and such. it could be easy to difficult. one time, a few years back, middle of summer, had a hard time about 3/4 the way up. when one other guy wasn't making it, I happely turned around with him and showed him another way back while the others continued on. I have been up it about a dozen times, some cleaner runs than others. when it's slightly wet, some great traction, easy as pie. but when it's dry or a sloppy mess, it can be difficult.

Don't worry guys and gals. the switchbacks of lockwood aren't technically switchbacks, but the climb could be a bugger to make. depends on your mindset, momentum, and such. it could be easy to difficult. one time, a few years back, middle of summer, had a hard time about 3/4 the way up. when one other guy wasn't making it, I happely turned around with him and showed him another way back while the others continued on. I have been up it about a dozen times, some cleaner runs than others. when it's slightly wet, some great traction, easy as pie. but when it's dry or a sloppy mess, it can be difficult.

It was very dry!

:panic:

Yep, what he said. I have made it up every time and would have Sat too if not for the blocked trail. Momentum is your friend here. Without it, your cooked. BTW, it was very dry.

Yes good times indeed. Why a great group and what nice guys the "twins" are, Martin and Jonathan. Still some tackiness up there too. As for the switchbacks of Lockwood, I was going good when I came upon a downed rider blocking the trail near the top and promptly fell over.:shocked: So much for momentum. Decided to turn around as some or the others probably would not make it. Great day, great weather. The forest will only be open for another month or so, so get it while you can.:thumb: BTW Rez, we did not do the trail I originally wanted to do. This one had many switchbacks for your riding pleasure.:smirk:

Good to hear you all had fun. In some ways its always nice for it to be a smaller group. Less dust and fuss. Im jealous, the lucky brothers got to eat at the famous grill and ride the LPNF with the Geek Guide:thumb: Sounds like it was a perferct day with a perfect ending:cheers:
I need to hurry up :hyper:and get up there before it closes. You know Rez:thinking: there IS another route without switchbacks. You Park off Gold Hill Road in Hungry Valley. Right at the start of the trail. The only thing is, you have go back the way you came because it is off a road you have to be plated on. It's a little cliffy and right at the start but that is part of the thrill!:D

Good to hear you all had fun. In some ways its always nice for it to be a smaller group. Less dust and fuss. Im jealous, the lucky brothers got to eat at the famous grill and ride the LPNF with the Geek Guide:thumb: Sounds like it was a perferct day with a perfect ending:cheers:
I need to hurry up :hyper:and get up there before it closes. You know Rez:thinking: there IS another route without switchbacks. You Park off Gold Hill Road in Hungry Valley. Right at the start of the trail. The only thing is, you have go back the way you came because it is off a road you have to be plated on. It's a little cliffy and right at the start but that is part of the thrill!:D

Plated - CHECK :thumb:.... :devil: ok, semi-check
Cliffy - Wasn't he on Cheers?? :smirk:..... :shocked:

:blush: That is a great trail, but has a bit of cliff action as Sun says. We usually access that from the other side, go down to the bottom, then back up. There is a nice little bench there with shade to rest the old bones too.

I may need to get another ride in at the old LPNF area, but it might not happen between now and T-day. I have a full plate.

:blush: That is a great trail, but has a bit of cliff action as Sun says. We usually access that from the other side, go down to the bottom, then back up. There is a nice little bench there with shade to rest the old bones too.

I think :thinking:I need to get on that trail again,:ride: It's been a long time since I've been on it going up. I never want to park right at the entrance and come back the exact same way but, I have dropped out that route:devil: for various reasons with others and then rode back to the trucks.

notworthy.gif

First: KILLER RR JOHN !

Second: Advise NOT asked for... (so it's only worth what you paid for it)

The only one real solution to hating switch backs is to learn to ride them without anxiety. You may never love them... but you can make them a non-issue. My method when bothered by a particular terrain is to just ride the snot out of it. When I feel those anxiety pangs, I try to find the time to spend the day doing it. You can master switchbacks in ONE or TWO days if you do this. I go knowing I am going to hate it... by the end of the day you feel like you grew 2 feet !

I am no great rider... in fact, my next lesson is going to be drifting. I hate slippery fire roads. I get to the end of a killer trail in Big Bear in front of others... and on the fire roads they end up waiting for me cause I feel like I am gonna lose the front end on every curve. So I need to plan to go spend a day drifting big circles on hard flat dirt. I'll work on drifting left and right. I'll fall 7 times. I'll start feeling it. Then I'll start making bigger and small circles... I'll go faster and faster... and fall 7 times more. By the end of the day that will be the END of my fire road phobia !

This approach has allowed me to overcome my issues and ride just about anywhere without limiting where I CAN ride... and where I am WILLING to ride. Sand issues... hill climbing issues... down hill issues... cliff side issues... switchback issues... can all be handled the same way. Commit to the problem and it is solved very quickly and you become a better rider. Take a friend... GoPRO it... cheer each other on. You'll make something you thought sucked into a pile of fun.

Anyway it works for me... maybe it can help other switchback haters. :thumb:

Advise NOT asked for... complete. :prof:

Nice ride report johnrunner. :thumb: Those are some fun and tricky trails up there and Geek loves to get you out on them.

I put an after market bulb and socket in my KTM as the stock bulb would break filaments every time out. It only has one setting so if I have it on low beam there is no head light and high beam lights things up nicely. I usually leave it off so I run with no head light and don't worry about it draining the battery.