Los Padres National Forest RR

Alright, so originally back in August I made a “West Coast ride” thread with hopes of getting all us riders on the west coast together for an epic trip that would allow us to meet one another. Bruce (Weathergeek) volunteered to lead the ride and the date, 10-20-2012, was selected. After life got in the way, the large gathering we hoped for died off and the ride we pretty much called quits. BUT Weathergeek PM’d me and we planned a day adventure nonetheless! The ride was scheduled to be held at Los Padres National Forest, just north of Hungry Valley OHV area. My brother (Mmjsport) and I are still fairly new riders have never ridden any single track in the forest before so we were looking forward to really try out our new scooters. Boy did we get broken in lol

All attending agreed to meet up for breakfast at 0900 at Big Johns restaurant for breakfast. It was a beautiful day, temps in the mid 60’s and a blue bird sky! At breakfast, we had 7 riders show up. I believe Weathergeek was the only one on this forum who rode. Other than WG, my brother and I, we had WG’s good friends come with. All good friendly riders with several years under their belts.

IMG_0134.JPG

After a delicious and syrup filled breakfast, we drove to the staging area. I don’t the area to well so I can’t comment on the exact location of the staging area but it was very nice area that we had mainly to ourselves. After parking, we all quickly geared up and kicked up our stands at about 1030 hours. This was my first time there, so I am not to sure on the trail names but will describe them in my own way lol Bruce if you could chime in on trail names or throw in your own version and details, please do!

From the trucks, we had a fun ride through different types of riding, which included everything from jeep trails to dirt bike only single track. I won’t lie; it was my first time ever riding tight narrow trails so I did tip the bike over a “couple” of times. After having to pick up my bike XX amount of times, we rode to Yellow Jacket trail (I think that’s what it is called) and arrived a huge hill filled with switchbacks that got more difficult as the hill escaladed. Well, we all figured we would give it a go anyway and held on tight. It was a blast riding up those things but as we got near the top, there was several loose rocks, softer sand and steeper inclines. All said and done, only one of us (Tom, who is an A rider with well over 40years under his belt) made it to the top that day. I’m sure with more time and another get go, some of the other guys could have made it to the top but we didn’t have all day to try. SO, we decided it was best to turn back down and take another way around. This is where I got frustrated.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my new scooter but it has it’s flaws that I’m not happy with, mainly the battery. Because I tipped over my bike a time or two to many during the day, the battery was draining as it sat on the ground with the lights and fan on because there is no “light off” or “fan on/off” switch. So while trying to ride down the switchbacks, my brothers and my battery did not have ANY juice to turn the bike over. Which is kind of ridiculous since we did not have more than a 3 or 4 tip overs by this time and weren’t turning the bike on/off a lot. So we had to kick start the darn thing until we finally got it going. While the others waited, Tom and Bruce offered to help charge our batteries back up by taking our scooters up and down the hill (plus they wanted to give our scooters a try so this was a perfect time).

After our bikes were good to do, we rode this fun single-track trail (no idea what it’s called) down to a creek area. Took a little rest and hung out. By this time, it was already 1:30 so time was not on our side and the 2-stroke rider already needed some gas. So we rode that fun single-track trail back out and jumped on jeep trails and fire roads to make it up to the top of the mountain while the sun was still up. The ride was going good until we hit a loose, steep rocky section where 4 of us got stuck. Luckily we all ended up making it to the top but only until after I had to pick up my bike countless times (Boy were my arms and shoulders tired lol).

IMG_0136.JPG

Shortly there after, we all made it to the Frazier lookout, which is over 8000ft in elevation. We all had a snack and hung out enjoying the views. It was my brothers and I first time there, and it we enjoyed it very much. With light time running out, we decided to head back to the trucks ASAP so we could eat dinner. At time point, several of us were tired. Plus, the 2 stroke rider was low on fuel again and his brother’s WR was having mechanical issues. So them two and my brother and I took the fire roads all the way back to the main highway. My bro and I then rode the highway back to the campsite but only after we got lost. Nick and Grant rode back to their homes. For those of you that know me, know I get lost easy lol And although Bruce gave me good directions back to the staging area, I managed to make a wrong turn and added a “few” extra miles to my brothers and I ride back LOL. Due to our detour, we all ended up arriving back to the trucks at the same time as the riders who took the trails back.

IMG_0140.JPG

After quickly loading back up, we all went down to Bruce’s restaurant (J &B’s Grill) to get some grub. This RR is getting long so let me describe the restaurant in one word…DELICIOUS. By far the best sandwiches my brother and I have eaten in as long as we can remember. Even the fries, mac and cheese and everything else we ordered was amazing. I HIGHLY recommend it and we WILL go back soon.

And here is the vid! And sorry I do not know how to upload the vid in HD.

Above all the day was filled with laughs, fun riding and good peeps! Speaking for my brother and I, we had a GREAT time and want to thank Weathergeek and his crew for their hospitality and patience. Hopefully this next trip will include ALL of us DBA’s that ride on the west coast. So whens the next trip???

Alright, so originally back in August I made a “West Coast ride” thread with hopes of getting all us riders on the west coast together for an epic trip that would allow us to meet one another. Bruce (Weathergeek) volunteered to lead the ride and the date, 10-20-2012, was selected. After life got in the way, the large gathering we hoped for died off and the ride we pretty much called quits. BUT Weathergeek PM’d me and we planned a day adventure nonetheless! The ride was scheduled to be held at Los Padres National Forest, just north of Hungry Valley OHV area. My brother (Mmjsport) and I are still fairly new riders have never ridden any single track in the forest before so we were looking forward to really try out our new scooters. Boy did we get broken in lol

All attending agreed to meet up for breakfast at 0900 at Big Johns restaurant for breakfast. It was a beautiful day, temps in the mid 60’s and a blue bird sky! At breakfast, we had 7 riders show up. I believe Weathergeek was the only one on this forum who rode. Other than WG, my brother and I, we had WG’s good friends come with. All good friendly riders with several years under their belts.

View attachment 10207

After a delicious and syrup filled breakfast, we drove to the staging area. I don’t the area to well so I can’t comment on the exact location of the staging area but it was very nice area that we had mainly to ourselves. After parking, we all quickly geared up and kicked up our stands at about 1030 hours. This was my first time there, so I am not to sure on the trail names but will describe them in my own way lol Bruce if you could chime in on trail names or throw in your own version and details, please do!

From the trucks, we had a fun ride through different types of riding, which included everything from jeep trails to dirt bike only single track. I won’t lie; it was my first time ever riding tight narrow trails so I did tip the bike over a “couple” of times. After having to pick up my bike XX amount of times, we rode to Yellow Jacket trail (I think that’s what it is called) and arrived a huge hill filled with switchbacks that got more difficult as the hill escaladed. Well, we all figured we would give it a go anyway and held on tight. It was a blast riding up those things but as we got near the top, there was several loose rocks, softer sand and steeper inclines. All said and done, only one of us (Tom, who is an A rider with well over 40years under his belt) made it to the top that day. I’m sure with more time and another get go, some of the other guys could have made it to the top but we didn’t have all day to try. SO, we decided it was best to turn back down and take another way around. This is where I got frustrated.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my new scooter but it has it’s flaws that I’m not happy with, mainly the battery. Because I tipped over my bike a time or two to many during the day, the battery was draining as it sat on the ground with the lights and fan on because there is no “light off” or “fan on/off” switch. So while trying to ride down the switchbacks, my brothers and my battery did not have ANY juice to turn the bike over. Which is kind of ridiculous since we did not have more than a 3 or 4 tip overs by this time and weren’t turning the bike on/off a lot. So we had to kick start the darn thing until we finally got it going. While the others waited, Tom and Bruce offered to help charge our batteries back up by taking our scooters up and down the hill (plus they wanted to give our scooters a try so this was a perfect time).

After our bikes were good to do, we rode this fun single-track trail (no idea what it’s called) down to a creek area. Took a little rest and hung out. By this time, it was already 1:30 so time was not on our side and the 2-stroke rider already needed some gas. So we rode that fun single-track trail back out and jumped on jeep trails and fire roads to make it up to the top of the mountain while the sun was still up. The ride was going good until we hit a loose, steep rocky section where 4 of us got stuck. Luckily we all ended up making it to the top but only until after I had to pick up my bike countless times (Boy were my arms and shoulders tired lol).

View attachment 10208

Shortly there after, we all made it to the Frazier lookout, which is over 8000ft in elevation. We all had a snack and hung out enjoying the views. It was my brothers and I first time there, and it we enjoyed it very much. With light time running out, we decided to head back to the trucks ASAP so we could eat dinner. At time point, several of us were tired. Plus, the 2 stroke rider was low on fuel again and his brother’s WR was having mechanical issues. So them two and my brother and I took the fire roads all the way back to the main highway. My bro and I then rode the highway back to the campsite but only after we got lost. Nick and Grant rode back to their homes. For those of you that know me, know I get lost easy lol And although Bruce gave me good directions back to the staging area, I managed to make a wrong turn and added a “few” extra miles to my brothers and I ride back LOL. Due to our detour, we all ended up arriving back to the trucks at the same time as the riders who took the trails back.

View attachment 10209

After quickly loading back up, we all went down to Bruce’s restaurant (J &B’s Grill) to get some grub. This RR is getting long so let me describe the restaurant in one word…DELICIOUS. By far the best sandwiches my brother and I have eaten in as long as we can remember. Even the fries, mac and cheese and everything else we ordered was amazing. I HIGHLY recommend it and we WILL go back soon.

And here is the vid! And sorry I do not know how to upload the vid in HD.

Above all the day was filled with laughs, fun riding and good peeps! Speaking for my brother and I, we had a GREAT time and want to thank Weathergeek and his crew for their hospitality and patience. Hopefully this next trip will include ALL of us DBA’s that ride on the west coast. So whens the next trip???

Nice RR... got a little dizzy trying to keep up on the "fast section" :crazy: ... BTW... those worn't switchbacks, :rolleyes: more like "S" turns... :smirk:. Looked lie a good ride was had!

James

Staff member
Thanks for taking time to write up that great report. :thumb:

I'm hoping that someday I'll be able to check out J&B Grill. :drool:

WOW!! now I'm crying even more because I couldn't make it out there. I had to work Saturday and was too beat to do anything Sunday. So i didn't get to sit an the bike at all this weekend.

Those switchbacks of Lockwood, above the yellowjacket junction are quite fun. the farther up, the steeper and looser they get. easier when there is abit of moisture on the ground. more difficult when dry.

Yes, not having an off switch for the lights on the ktm can drain the battery. I upgraded my KTM OEM switch to a sic racing one. plug and play on the ktm 530. gives the off button for the lights, which is great. Also, added a basic switch to my fan.

bike012.jpg

https://sicassracing.com/store/prod...witches/2007-13_exc_multi-function_bar_switch

Yes good times indeed. Why a great group and what nice guys the "twins" are, Martin and Jonathan. Still some tackiness up there too. As for the switchbacks of Lockwood, I was going good when I came upon a downed rider blocking the trail near the top and promptly fell over.:shocked: So much for momentum. Decided to turn around as some or the others probably would not make it. Great day, great weather. The forest will only be open for another month or so, so get it while you can.:thumb: BTW Rez, we did not do the trail I originally wanted to do. This one had many switchbacks for your riding pleasure.:smirk:

Yes good times indeed. Why a great group and what nice guys the "twins" are, Martin and Jonathan. Still some tackiness up there too. As for the switchbacks of Lockwood, I was going good when I came upon a downed rider blocking the trail near the top and promptly fell over.:shocked: So much for momentum. Decided to turn around as some or the others probably would not make it. Great day, great weather. The forest will only be open for another month or so, so get it while you can.:thumb: BTW Rez, we did not do the trail I originally wanted to do. This one had many switchbacks for your riding pleasure.:smirk:

If they wre the ones in the video NO PROBLEM, would have had those done with ease.... :devil:...... :BS: ...... Joking aside, looked like fun! :thumb: