How did you get into riding?

ever since i was born, i have been attracted to dirtbikes. mainly because my dad told me about all of his storys from when he was a kid about all of his dirtbike adventures.
when i was 5, i didnt have a dirtbike, so i really got into bmx. aboutt when i was 7, i got an xmas gift that would change my life, a plastic tabletop jump (you know, the kind you buy from toys-R-us) i put that thing in my drive way and did jumps on it for hours, and i remeber some of the older kids in my neighborhood would come over and join me (no one els my age knew how to ride a bike, lol!), and thats how we would spend our late summer afternoons. i then made a small trail along the backside of our small yard. the trail must have been about 100 yards long. i rode that thing back and fourth all day! (all on my bmx bike of course) i then started to build jumps and added small obsticals. i had alot of fun on that trail. and when i rode, i always made moto noises with my mouth and pretended i was on a dirtbike.
Then, another thing happend that changed my life, a new family move in to the neighborhood. and they rode dirtbikes! one day, they invited my dad and i to ride with them. so we did. that was was the first time i rode a dirtbike. it was only a one day expirence, but it was one of the best days of my life
when i was 8, we moved the florida. there, my dad and i watched our first and only supercross race (orlando 2007) that was awsome!
when i was 10, we moved to the curent house that i live in now. i then got another thing that changed my life, a Razor mx500 electric dirtbike. i rode that thing nonstop in the 4th grade around the streets. in the 5th grade, i got a mountain bike. my house is located on some awsome trails, so i rode them ALOT
when i was 12, my neighbor's friend had dirtbikes and they rode on those trails. i always tried to mauntain bike with them, but i could never keep up. so i really wanted a dirtbike then so i could ride with them. it was all i could think about. so after alot of begging, i got one. a crf150f! (i paid for half of it). i got it on my 13th b day. it was awsome! of corse, as soon as i got it, my friends lost interest in riding and i ended up riding on my own. eventually, my dad got a bike to ride with me, a crf230f. we got tired of our trails, so we joined a club/track. now we have race bikes and do motocross. im 15 now and i have gone from knowing nothing bout dirtbike when i was 13, to spending all of my time doing something dirtbike related. i have a huge passion for the sport and i will never burn out:ride: i also still love mountain biking just as much as i do motocross.
THE END

Started riding on 2 wheels when I was and the ripe age of 4. Got into BMX when I was 6 or 7. Used to go out with my cousin and uncle when they would ride their dirt bikes, but I wasnt allowed to ride the dirt bikes. Then one trip my dad went with us. He saw me eyeing my cousins Hodaka 100, I was about 9 or 10. So I was allowed to give it a shot. I had zero problems with the clutch, because all the previous trips my cousin had been teaching me anyway. So my proud dad thought I was a natural. We talked it over with my uncle and we bought the Hodaka. I road that for a year or two. Then it my dad went nuts one christmas and bought me a NEW YZ 80 I was 12 or 13. So right about 1982 I think. I road the YZ80 untill about 1985, and I was ready for a larger bike. Sold the 80 and bought an 82 YZ 125. I road that till 1987, and my dad went on another spending spree, bought 3 more bikes. Another yz 80, a 1985 RM 250 (mine), and a brand new KX 500 (dads). So now both youngest brother got the 80, the middle brother got the 125, Im on a 250, and my dad is on the KX 500 (death machine). I had my 250 untill the early 1991 right before I joined the military. Gave my bike to my youngest brother, the middle brother bought a brand new KX 250 in 1992, and dad sold the death machine shortly there after. So I would ride when I could when I would come home to visit. But I never really could afford, nor would my wife let me afford a dirt bike. So about 4 years ago I bought my current bike 92 RM 250, and now I ride mostly with my youngest brother who really is a natural on his bike.

My dad started me riding a PW 50 when I was 3... now im about to turn 16. I have since turned pro and am about to get my AMA pro license... Oh yea, Lawn dart (my girl friend) (onedream) started the same way, but on a quad. she has a womens class 3rd place title at Loretta Lynns, but she broke her back and is off the bike for 3 months.

I was a hard core desert and mountain guy long before I ever had a bike. Yes, camping is the dez without a bike. What a concept. Less than a year after the Husky was put up I found it. I didn't even have a truck at the time. I was in a Ford Pinto desert assault vehicle. On one shooting trip to one of the little dry lakes behind Fremont Peak, a friend brought along a 77 KE175. I gave it a try and I was hooked worse than smack. Got my first bike a few weeks later and the rest is history.

I started when I was about 10 I told my dad I really wanted a dirt bike because my step brother raced 125s back then and my other brother had a bike so one day we passed a bike for sale it was a pw 80 I soon out grew it and eventually stopped riding sold the bike for 300 and didn't get a bike till I was 15 again it was a kx 80 I got it so I could learn the clutch but I figured it out the first time I tried so 2 days later I got a cr 125 after I got used to that I got a cr 250 and at the time I also had a non running yz 125 sold the 125s and sold the 250 and now I got my current 250

Well, I was about 3 me and my family were at the Gator Nationals (a drag racing event)there was an xr50 there they were raffling off. When I laid eyes on it you better believe I started crying when my parents wouldn't let me "have it" I was a bratt, still am :hug: :lol: I have always been a midget and my mom was afraid I'd get hurt yada yada :blah: so finally at 8 I found myself a peedub 50 and my mom gave my padre the okay and we went and picked it up. BEST DAY OF MY LIFE. The end :hail:

I started when I was about 10 I told my dad I really wanted a dirt bike because my step brother raced 125s back then and my other brother had a bike so one day we passed a bike for sale it was a pw 80 I soon out grew it and eventually stopped riding sold the bike for 300 and didn't get a bike till I was 15 again it was a kx 80 I got it so I could learn the clutch but I figured it out the first time I tried so 2 days later I got a cr 125 after I got used to that I got a cr 250 and at the time I also had a non running yz 125 sold the 125s and sold the 250 and now I got my current 250
:shocked: I do not have enough in the lungs to read this...

I was a hard core desert and mountain guy long before I ever had a bike. Yes, camping is the dez without a bike. What a concept. Less than a year after the Husky was put up I found it. I didn't even have a truck at the time. I was in a Ford Pinto desert assault vehicle. On one shooting trip to one of the little dry lakes behind Fremont Peak, a friend brought along a 77 KE175. I gave it a try and I was hooked worse than smack. Got my first bike a few weeks later and the rest is history.
I was into rural backpacking before i got into dirtbikes myself. carry 60 lbs of supplys including all the water i would need for 2 days. hike 10 miles to some bitchen peak or a neat spot in the desert and camp. I actually want to do a bike packing trip sometime. Something about carrying all the things you would need to survive on your own for a while is really special to me.

Your still riding that first bike too. :smirk:

Before I bought my first bike at the age of 12 I was riding the mates YZ80 which I helped get going, I mowed peoples lawns and repaired lawn mowers at a young age, then went into fixing bikes buying an IT175 and a TS250. Then at the age of 16 I had a YZ125 which seen me get into the MX scene at Lakes MCC and also Cessnock MCC. From then on I got into dirt track and moved to speedway solos, but didn't move away from MX during this time.

My parents were not into motorcycles, especially racing, so all my bikes, riding gear etc I had to work for and buy myself. I guess it learnt me to work for what I want and set me up for my apprenticeship after leaving School. Not sure if I could have done better if my parents would have helped me or not. Even getting to the race tracks seen me up at daybreak with a backpack riding from home to the tracks, and a ride home again until I was old enough to get a license and trailer the bikes. Probably why I like bush riding, certainly was warmed up by the time I got to the track.

A :wink:

I learned how to ride on my Dad's 360 when I was 4.
YAMAHART360-medium-2483_1.jpg

I could not even touch the pegs on this bike. My dad would sit on the back and get me into 3rd gear and I would slow down and he would jump off the back. I would ride all over the place and when I was ready to stop, I would circle camp yelling for my dad. He would come out and when I would pass by, he would run along side of me and grab the clutch and stop me. I did that for about 3 years until I got my first bike.

One of these:

1973-Yamaha-GTMX-Silver-5282-1.jpg

We bought it at a dealer and the previous owner stripped it down to race MX at Indian Dunes.

Like Martin Luther King...."I had a dream." Im dead serious!!

I was in the USC Coliseum on a drt bike flying throught the air like a Supercross racer. The dream felt so GOOD and SO REAL like. It was weird, the memory of the dream stayed with me in my head for a long time. I have never had this experience before. Usually I forget a dream in a short time. This dream nagged me, it made me want to buy a dirt bike and try it out. I knew NOBODY in the sport. I started riding alone at Gorman and became addicted instantly. The rest is history!
XR100 for the first couple of months, then XR200 for a couple of years, then CRF250X for 5 years, then a DRZ/Supermoto bike was purchased and I started riding street also. Blew up my CRF for the last time and now I've been on a KLX450 for the last year.

10 Years so far and hope to ride the rest of my life. It is like therapy for me:ride:

Like Martin Luther King...."I had a dream." Im dead serious!!

I was in the USC Coliseum on a drt bike flying throught the air like a Supercross racer. The dream felt so GOOD and SO REAL like. It was weird, the memory of the dream stayed with me in my head for a long time. I have never had this experience before. Usually I forget a dream in a short time. This dream nagged me, it made me want to buy a dirt bike and try it out. I knew NOBODY in the sport. I started riding alone at Gorman and became addicted instantly. The rest is history!
XR100 for the first couple of months, then XR200 for a couple of years, then CRF250X for 5 years, then a DRZ/Supermoto bike was purchased and I started riding street also. Blew up my CRF for the last time and now I've been on a KLX450 for the last year.

10 Years so far and hope to ride the rest of my life. It is like therapy for me:ride:
interesting story Sun.... its like the dirtbike gods were looking for someone to get hooked and picked you :thumb:

you know you might be a dirt bike addict if...."you had a dream" :smirk:

James

Staff member
Surprisingly I'm relatively new to this world of dirt bikes. (Way :smirk:) back when I was 18-19 I watched the Summer X-Games and that first got me interested. I didn't really get the bug until the next spring, watching Supercross. And then after I rode a buddy's 125, I got hooked. Got my first bike summer/fall of 2008, but didn't know anybody in the dirt bike world. :(

In the fall of 2009 I got introduced to some of the local guys and made some new moto friends. Started riding MX at the end of 2009 and that's when the Moto bug really got a hold of me. The rest is history. :lol: