Got a new SUV

93 F150 4x4 single cab long bed with the 5 speed manual and 3.55 rear end yielding a wimpy 3400 pound tow rating. Same truck with an auto is 5600 pounds. Freaking manual

You sure you're not looking at the wrong thing? when we were looking for trucks we found a 01 effjuanfiddy that had a 10k pound tow rating(as per manual) but everywhere you looked it said 5500 lbs because everyone just quoted the bumper limit...

You sure you're not looking at the wrong thing? when we were looking for trucks we found a 01 effjuanfiddy that had a 10k pound tow rating(as per manual) but everywhere you looked it said 5500 lbs because everyone just quoted the bumper limit...

Unfortunately, I'm quite sure about the numbers. It's the combination of a weak clutch/transmission and Ford not wanting to do warranty work. Before I knew the small number I did tow well over the limit with no issues. With most insurance denying coverage for towing over the limit I don't do that any more.

As I don't really use the 4x4 I'm considering looking for a 2wd low mileage (under 150k) 97 and up F150 with a 4.6 or 5.4. I want to be able to tow something useful.

Stay away from 97

Do not overlook the 4.2 with a automatic 2wd...... I have 2 of them.. I have a 02 4.2 auto 3.55 gear ratio ..open diff...2wed flareside bed... And a 08 4.2 auto 2wd longbed 3.73..

Both had tow package... I added B&M trans coolers to both trucks..... I town atleast 3 times a week in the summer... And most weeks upto 5... A 18foot bass boat... And i don't even know its back there....With my 08 f150...

With the 02 i traveled like 10 states for a few years towing a 18foot car trailer with a 2ft dovetail with a 79 chevy 1 ton chevy with a big block and 42inch tall tires... And never had any issue... I tow really easy... Truck now has 165k miles... Never had a drive train issue...

Both trucks tow perfectly ..... The big V8s leave it at stop light to stop light stuff...

Unfortunately, I'm quite sure about the numbers. It's the combination of a weak clutch/transmission and Ford not wanting to do warranty work. Before I knew the small number I did tow well over the limit with no issues. With most insurance denying coverage for towing over the limit I don't do that any more.

As I don't really use the 4x4 I'm considering looking for a 2wd low mileage (under 150k) 97 and up F150 with a 4.6 or 5.4. I want to be able to tow something useful.

I have never heard of this before. I will have to do some investigating.

I spotted James in his mini van at the Burger King drive thru at approximately 11:30 pm on Wednesday night. James, you need to get that window fixed.

PS I didn't know you were a part of the Mary Kay crew!

IMAG2755_zpsaee48d0d.jpg

James

Staff member
I spotted James in his mini van at the Burger King drive thru at approximately 11:30 pm on Wednesday night. James, you need to get that window fixed.

PS I didn't know you were a part of the Mary Kay crew!

IMAG2755_zpsaee48d0d.jpg
Nope sorry my plate's cooler. Braap!