Electric Start Problems?

Ok, The "trickle charger test". That and a voltage meter will tell you fairly soon if your new starter is too much or being used too much for your battery or charging system. Good luck.

Im not an electrically inclined guy. Batteries are the most common problem for a KTM. The other thing not mentioned here is the intermedite gear/clutch for the starter in the right side case. It is a known breaking problem for 05 KTMs. Maybe yours failed as well. Do a search on KTMTALK and maybe find that info. In case it is not the starter motor. Sounds like the intermittent problem matches this.

The big test on your charger is going to be a voltage test when you shut it off. If you have some lights on it, flip them on and right off again after you shut it off. Some people say a better has a surface charge right after charging that gives it a false high. pop the starter button without starting it if you have no lights, and give it a few minutes and read the voltage. If it is under 12.5 yours isnt coming back up to what it should be. If you hook it up to the charger and it runs max amps and holds it more than about 60 seconds before it starts dropping, you again could be a little bit in the stator for your purposes. Keeping it on the smart charger may be your best option if the stator you have passes the resistance tests.

The stator has already been replaced a few months ago with a higher powered trail tech one as well as a brand new regulator/rectifier to go with it as I was having issues with the old ktm stock stator.
Based on visual inspections, all the gears like fine as well as the gear on the starter motor itself.
My ktm is an 04.
Picking up the starter motor now so once I install it will let everyone know the outcome.
I am 95% confident that it is the starter motor itself

Interesting. I gave a friend in northern calif who has a 2004. He is pretty much an off and on rider. I may end up with it as a stateside bike. I was curious about how they work E button wise.

E start wise I've never had a problem in the amount of time I've owned it. I'd say personally speaking, it's been pretty reliable starting wise, at least my bike has been personally. I bought it off a guy who had it since brand new and said he never had any issue with starting the bike. So. It's lasted 10 years as far as I know.

So I've got my new starter motor. Same design and everything. But htf do I get it back in? It doesn't want to push back into the hole in the engine case. It has a stupid I ring on it. I've used a mallet and a piece of wood and GENTLY tapped it, still nothing. Im starting to get very pissed off and frustrated.
Im almost at the point of using full force and bashing the prick in.

nevermind. worked it out. those ever considering buying the arrowhead aftermarket starter motors, just a couple things. the rubber o-ring on the end of them was a little bigger/thicker than the stock KTM one on my old starter motor, had to remove and re-fit with the old o-ring to get it to fit into my engine casing.
the second thing is, they are very high powered in comparison to the stock starter motor, a bigger battery was needed in my case.

I did use grease and I also tried oil like the manual said. No go. It was like a double sized O-ring compared to the original. It didn't even work with a mallet and a piece of wood.
Dunno what size battery, just got whatever the guy at the shop selling me the starter motor recommended I run with it.

i was curious as to the amp hours etc on the retrofit. you wonder sometimes if the people that box those products ever mount them, don't you?