Electric Start Problems?

Its from rocky mountain atv. Not sure what kind of warranty it comes with.
I'm from Australia anyway so would have to wait a while for postage but it's the only option I've got.

test your starter as suggested with an automotive battery or other known good battery. I am betting that if you were not crossing any wires those sparks you are throwing are coming from the armature shorting. Most any electrical rebuilder can do a bench test on any starter. take your manual with you. but at 10 years of age, I am guessing that yours needs some work by now.

gotten some prices and sourced out some starter motors. i have a choice between 2. $30 difference between the 2.

I can choose a higher powered aftermarket 1.6kW starter motor or a genuine KTM 0.45kW starter motor.
just a couple questions.
1. what are the added benefits of the higher powered starter motors?
2. will it be handy/useful?
3. will it drain more battery power, making me needing a higher powered/bigger battery?

The higher drawing starter will require more amperage. The upside us that it should spin the engine over faster and make for an easier start. Let us know how it turns out.

Try what you have and see. Were you running the other one down before it started? One that is on it's last legs typically takes a lot more amperage to get it to turn something over than a fresh one. One of the bench tests I mentioned above (for those who don't like to "wonder") shows the amperage draw.

I skipped doing that test because I didn't need to do it because the battery is a maximum of 4 months old only. Not to mention all the other tests I did, everything just pointed to not being the battery and was very highly unlikely it was the battery.
Seemed pointless to do when it's more than likely not the battery and considering I don't have a load tester, considering how new the battery is and all those other tests it passed, I wasn't going to go out of my way to get 1 or pay a shop to do it when it's almost 100% certain the battery is good anyway. Seemed like I'd be getting 1 or doing the test for no reason when I'll most likely end up at square 1 again. Shops down here charge for that stuff, like they charge for everything minor. They're tight asses.
And no I didn't let it run down. Always been working well.

Last edited: