Electric Start Problems?

hey guys.
went for a ride to run in my new motor but as i was beginning the ride and starting the bike, it was hard to start with the e-start button.
I pushed the e-start button and it kinda did 1 little crank but as i continued to hold the button down, there was no cranking at all. it was just like pushing a button that does nothing.

I kick started the bike, started nice and easy and ran the whole time.
the e-start did work once the bike was warmed up.
i troubleshooted the battery, its reading 13.5 volts which is normal, so its not the battery. all the lights work correctly. it has a brand new stator, the battery is also fairly new. it has a brand new spark plug in it also, valves are brand new, timed correctly.

im wondering, could it be ignition coil on its way out? or the pulser coil on its way out?
i know its either 1 or the other. not sure if its starter motor but there are no indications it is the starter motor.

its hard to explain but since the ride, its done it intermittently but eventually starts working the more i press it(even when the motor is cold). It will be hard to start/crank using the e-start but as I keep trying and keep pressing it will eventually start working again.

what does it sound like it is?

Last edited:
You said you just rebuilt the engine? Did you use a high comp piston? It could be your making to much compression for a stock starter.

You need to "load" test the battery. Maybe a better battery.

I don't know alot about the bike, but should a decompression be used with electric start? Any kind of timing problem could cause that issue too.

Other members will know more about that than me. Just giving you something to think about :D

i just did a load test with a multimeter. held electric starter down to start bike and cranking load reads 9.6 volts. i believe it should be around 9.6 which is normal??
so makes me think its actually the starter motor. to test that i need to remove it...but does anyone know how to? ive taken out the bolts for the housing but it won't come off?

Last edited:
What bike? I don't recall.

I've heard KTM starters need to be "shimmed" and or rebuilt from time to time. I have never had the issue myself. :noidea:

Ktm 450 EXC 2004.
Ive finally got the starter motor out now but every time I do what the manual says to test it(negative battery terminal on metal housing and positive terminal to the solenoid connector) all I get is sparks flying up. Doesn't turn or whirl or do anything.
i guess that means its had it and needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

Last edited:
Ktm 450 EXC 2004.
Ive finally got the starter motor out now but every time I do what the manual says to test it(negative battery terminal on metal housing and positive terminal to the solenoid connector) all I get is sparks flying up. Doesn't turn or whirl or do anything.
i guess that means its had it and needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

Sounds like replacement or rebuild time. :thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Batteries are the #1 issue with KTM start systems.
I would start with a NEW fresh, FULLY charged battery.
A battery may hold voltage, but not be able to produce the original amperes it once had. It's Very easy to damage a battery.
-BIG DAN:thumb: