doing what u love and adult life

I have been riding since i was 3 and will continue to ride. I do not get out like I used to back in the day when I was on the scooter 40+ weekends a year, but I still get out. I do not think about getting hurt each time I unload as I do not need that in my head. I do ride within my means and know my limits. I did a ton of stupid Chit when I was younger and I do not need to prove my self to anyone. I know what I can do and my limits. I have no problem riding with the slowest guys or the fastest, I just like to ride.

I retired from dez racing 20 years ago, but have been hitting a couple a year since last year. I ride in the old man class and just have fun. I have an office job that can either have me sitting at my desk all day or walking the production floor. I have only taking time off work for surgeries and minimal time to recoup after. I went to work the next day after shattering my tib and fib above the ankle waiting to get surgery scheduled.

If you love to ride, keep riding. If you have a job that has you on your feet all day or physical labor, sometimes you may need to remember that when out hitting those gaps or dropping off the side of a mountain.
:ride:

I have been riding since i was 3 and will continue to ride. I do not get out like I used to back in the day when I was on the scooter 40+ weekends a year, but I still get out. I do not think about getting hurt each time I unload as I do not need that in my head. I do ride within my means and know my limits. I did a ton of stupid Chit when I was younger and I do not need to prove my self to anyone. I know what I can do and my limits. I have no problem riding with the slowest guys or the fastest, I just like to ride.

I retired from dez racing 20 years ago, but have been hitting a couple a year since last year. I ride in the old man class and just have fun. I have an office job that can either have me sitting at my desk all day or walking the production floor. I have only taking time off work for surgeries and minimal time to recoup after. I went to work the next day after shattering my tib and fib above the ankle waiting to get surgery scheduled.

If you love to ride, keep riding. If you have a job that has you on your feet all day or physical labor, sometimes you may need to remember that when out hitting those gaps or dropping off the side of a mountain.
:ride:

Guess I should clarify, I don't actually fret over getting hurt when I unload, the thought just passes by. I've been riding since I was 11 and have had only one serious injury at 21 and a bunch of minor dings. So I guess I wonder if the odds will catch up to me today or tomorrow. But other than that my outlook towards riding is much like yours that I just like to ride whether with a slow group or fast.

I still go bigger than I should, go faster than necessary, and get lucky often enough to keep my attention. I'm not afraid to crash but I'll never forget what it feels like. I find I'm always more cautious when riding alone I tend to take in the scenery more. never solo mx

Guess I should clarify, I don't actually fret over getting hurt when I unload, the thought just passes by. I've been riding since I was 11 and have had only one serious injury at 21 and a bunch of minor dings. So I guess I wonder if the odds will catch up to me today or tomorrow. But other than that my outlook towards riding is much like yours that I just like to ride whether with a slow group or fast.
:thumb:

true shit...yea u kno what, i think i need to get me a 4 stroke

Lol yeah, fourstrokes won't hurt you like those two strokes. Balance is the key, and when you have responsibilities like bills, you have to be responsible. 50 years plus of riding and now just trying to keep up have seen me miss about 3 days of school and none of work. I grew up around rodeo cowboys who also worked, and you learn about competing hurt and working hurt. most of my jobs in the adult world I could have done from a wheel chair. so think about your next career if you want to keep exposing yourself to injuries.

I go to work sore! Fortunately I'm the boss/owner of my plumbing company so I can take it easy on myself and take random days off. (usually beautiful random riding days
off ha ha) I'm not trying to say you're a pansy for the knee not my meaning at all just saying you're not alone there. Pad up is
The best you can do and as Steve says ride inside your comfort zone. 17 yr old son wrecked ACL last year on the 125 got it repaired and he wrecked it again this week on the 450 and had surgery yesterday. As he was going under said mom please don't sell my bike. fkn-a no way son. If you wanna quit that's one thing but we'll never take it from you.
My story? ok here ya go
Jan 09 I went over the bars landed flat on a camelbak full of ice and water broke L-1 & L-2. Went into hospital in Jan and they sent me home in April in a wheelchair. First 3 weeks I was paralyzed from the waist down. Dead legs- nothing. Scary feeling for sure. Slowly got minimal feeling back but couldn't move. They gave up on me and sent me home after 90 days of rehab. Sent me home with all the medication in my file cabinet which was like 350 hydrocodones. I had em gone through in the first month. Eating 5 at a time fucking self-pity drooling wheelchair vegetable drug addict. Wife barely paying all the bills truck repo'd and sold my bike. Finally after a few months of this I took a hard look at myself and went after my rehab all on my own. No coach no pills no bullshit. A year and a half later I couldn't get a job cause I could barely walk so I started my own company. 6 years later I couldn't be happier. My company is a success beyond imagination. Years ago I told my wife I was going to buy her a new house and that's what I have done. She hasn't paid a single mortgage payment or bill in years. Do I still ride? Damn right! Got a garage full of bikes. Is it still scary? Damn right! I didnt get up out of that chair so I could hide in the corner. I'm proud of who I am and what I came from. I didn't die and sometimes I wished I had believe me, but as long as I'm alive I'm gonna live. You think that cancer kids and leukemia kids would be timid and afraid if they had their burden lifted? Id like to think not. Id like to think that if given the chance they would be up out of that hospital bed skateboarding and swimming and windsurfing and dirt biking. You owe it to them to live the life you have been given. Don't waste it being afraid, they wouldn't.

I was never more than about 40 minutes without feeling my feet, and that was the second time it happened. Being across the pond probably made it a little bit scarier but the treatment I got may have minimized it. The antiinflamatories they shot me up with were not even sold in the US in 71. But I don't think it ever left my thoughts and probably kept me from hurting myself worse in the future.

I got an insight into what I would have to constantly risk if I wanted to move up to the next level and what those guys who ride at said level face every time they get on a motorycle. you have to ride, practice, and race at that level if you want to just stay at that level, pushing it up further each even or each season is all that keeps one competitive. The scarier of the injuries cause some or I guess I should say almost all of us to admit we hit our limits.

If any of you have seen the original "On Any Sunday" and want some help following up on the racers that were objects of that movie it is a sobering reminder of the grim side. On the plus side, if any of you went to the "On Any Sunday Reunion" I hope you found it as uplifting to hear how many of the guys who are left would do it all again.

Interesting that I happen upon this thread as I lie here licking my wounds again.
I just crashed (lightly) my buddies 83 CR480 wicked fast bike that we recently got running, against a curb this past Saturday (damn drum brakes and petrified rear rubber) about 20 feet from where I layed over my KLX650 a couple months ago (same petrified rear rubber).
We got it running and I jumped on it "just to take it for a quick whip".
Well, we didn't screw the seat down, and I came into the corner (asphalt) too fast and parked it into the curb, and my thigh went head-to-head with the subframe.
Right now I'm purple from my ass cheek to my knee.

I made it to work on Monday, but as an always active and athletic 46 years, it's sometimes hard to relinquish the thought you're just not a bad-ass like you used to be.
Although I have traditionally been a slow learner, most times the hard way. Pain has been a wonderful instructor.
It's a good thing I'm tough.

But the fucked up part is, I am just now getting into motocross (on an actual track), and cannot wait to put the reeds I just got today into my YZ250, and get back to the track and go learn how to fly through the air. I was good at it 30 years ago, more on a bicycle than a motorcycle, but I always had it either way. Balance has always been my strong point.
And even though I cannot even remotely be able to afford an injury, I just dont feel like I cannot afford to NOT re-learn it.
I just love flying through the air, no matter how it happens.

Life is strange, and I have severely injured myself while skydiving professionally, but I just...man, I dont know.
I would rather die doing what I love doing (and have come close a few times), that not ever having tried to be that guy.
Pain is temporary, glory lasts forever, and chicks dig scars, right?
I am conflicted with this though.
When I watch videos of guys riding motocross, I think "I can do that". And I have always been that guy that could. My motto is (doesn't matter what we're talking about) "if some other guy can do it, then I can do it too, and probably better", and I usually can.

I guess I am refusing to grow old...

Last edited:
Sucks about your knee!
Similar thing happened to me the other day, had to push through it at work.
I'm with Big Dan, I'll stick to the trails.

Normal thinking says that I should lay low, but I am really good at being an athlete, and an extreme sports kind of guy no matter what my age. I am a professional skydiver and have been for 15+ years.
So for me to not always try to progress and make myself better at things that I love to do is analogous to slowing down, getting old, giving up, and dying.
I love, love, love living, and for me to not be pushing the boundaries, is to live life as a follower, and I just cannot be that guy.

My mind does not fit into a box of any size, and I dont rely on what "others" tell me is good for me, and never have.
I will always take the more difficult path, because to me what is easy, has never been worth the prize, and the defeat of never having tried to be the best at whatever we endeavor is the exact opposite of what it means to live, or be alive.
Stagnancy is not an option, and forward and upward is the only way IMO.
I may not always achieve that, but even in trying and losing, I still move in that direction...

Normal thinking says that I should lay low, but I am really good at being an athlete, and an extreme sports kind of guy no matter what my age. I am a professional skydiver and have been for 15+ years.
So for me to not always try to progress and make myself better at things that I love to do is analogous to slowing down, getting old, giving up, and dying.
I love, love, love living, and for me to not be pushing the boundaries, is to live life as a follower, and I just cannot be that guy.

My mind does not fit into a box of any size, and I dont rely on what "others" tell me is good for me, and never have.
I will always take the more difficult path, because to me what is easy, has never been worth the prize, and the defeat of never having tried to be the best at whatever we endeavor is the exact opposite of what it means to live, or be alive.
Stagnancy is not an option, and forward and upward is the only way IMO.
I may not always achieve that, but even in trying and losing, I still move in that direction...
:thumb: Nicely said.