Dirt Bike Oil Analysis

although I'm not sure about a 530, I believe that oil anaylsis on say a 250f or 450 are of some merit as doing them every oil change or even every other oil change will help tell you when its fixing to go boom and kindly suggest that its time for a rebuild.

While there is some validity to your statement it will go unnoticed... 1 because you need to have a base line to start from, 2 your bike will go boom long before you get your analysis back...

A properly maintained stock motor who's owner follows the strict maintenance and specs will never blow a motor...

Ask me how I know! :prof: Ask SRAD how many airplanes fall out of the sky because he didnt follow his spec sheets...

While there is some validity to your statement it will go unnoticed... 1 because you need to a base line to start from 2 your bike will go boom long before you get your analysis back...

A properly maintained stock motor who's owner follows the strict maintenance and specs will never blow a motor...

Ask me how I know! :prof: Ask SRAD how many airplanes fall out of the sky because he didnt follow his spec sheets...
Knowing Dan, that would make all of none

While there is some validity to your statement it will go unnoticed... 1 because you need to a base line to start from 2 your bike will go boom long before you get your analysis back...

Haha, Air plane engines and dirt bike engines are not made on the same level.

And any can go boom no matter what oil is in it, or how its been ran.

Haha, Air plane engines and dirt bike engines are not made on the same level.

And any can go boom no matter what oil is in it, or how its been ran.

How are they not similar in being maintained on a schedule?
Every part has a wear limit and a time limit and its all outlined in your manual... same goes for a plane...

I'm talking about how they are built in the first place.

extremely similar... the only difference is they dont give a 200k airplane to a 15yr old kid to break in and bounce off the rev limiter as it rolls off the showroom floor :lol:

The 250f is based off of F-1 technology

extremely similar... the only difference is they dont give a 200k airplane to a 15yr old kid to break in and bounce off the rev limiter as it rolls off the showroom floor :lol:

The 250f is based off of F-1 technology
Based off maybe.... Not the same build procedures.

Knowing Dan, that would make all of none
How are they not similar in being maintained on a schedule?
Every part has a wear limit and a time limit and its all outlined in your manual... same goes for a plane...
yes but the manual is based on a perfect world, in the real world parts often fail long before they're specified to be replaced. and others appear to have been dipped in the fountain of youth. Nor is the owners manual really designed around the way 9/10 of us ride, just as an example, honda says to replace my piston and change my oil at the same time (15 hours)
That said, those who rely purely on oil anaylsis are looking for trouble, as finding brass in the oil filter would lead any knowledgeable person to the conclusion that they're fixing to have bottom end problems and its time to tear down before the motor locks up.

I've been changing it every 3-4 hours which is about every 3-5 rides. They're also supposed to check for particles (shavings) which is one of the main things I'm after.
hahaha 3-4 hours I feel like that is overkill. I hear Rotella is a good brand. Subaru Impreza STI recomends it in their engines. those little engines push out a lot of power so you should be fine.

James the question is what are you going to do with the info when you get it back? Are you going to change oil brand? change riding habits? Change time between oil changes? If the answer is no to any of the above I think you are wasting your time. Unless of course your the nerdy friend that likes to know stupid shit that none of the other guys care about.

Like stated before I think you are digging way to deep into the dirt bike thing. For christ sake it is a single cylinder motor ridden in a dirty environment with a sponge for an air filter. If it is going to lock up I dont think it cares what oil is in it. Your not going to the moon in it. It doesn't deserve that much thought.

James the question is what are you going to do with the info when you get it back? Are you going to change oil brand? change riding habits? Change time between oil changes? If the answer is no to any of the above I think you are wasting your time. Unless of course your the nerdy friend that likes to know stupid shit that none of the other guys care about.

Like stated before I think you are digging way to deep into the dirt bike thing. For christ sake it is a single cylinder motor ridden in a dirty environment with a sponge for an air filter. If it is going to lock up I dont think it cares what oil is in it. Your not going to the moon in it. It doesn't deserve that much thought.

:clap:

:USA:

yes but the manual is based on a perfect world, in the real world parts often fail long before they're specified to be replaced. and others appear to have been dipped in the fountain of youth. Nor is the owners manual really designed around the way 9/10 of us ride, just as an example, honda says to replace my piston and change my oil at the same time (15 hours)
That said, those who rely purely on oil anaylsis are looking for trouble, as finding brass in the oil filter would lead any knowledgeable person to the conclusion that they're fixing to have bottom end problems and its time to tear down before the motor locks up.

So don't follow the manual but do what everyone on the Internet says to do?
So why don't you change your piston at 15hrs like the manual says you should? I'm just curious

I would like to see what the results are when you get em James...I am thinking about getting a test kit for my bike...('12 250 crf) to see how much/if there is any gas in the oil...since everyone really just says "they smell gas" in the oil.... I want facts!:prof: