Dirt Bike Oil Analysis

SRAD97750

Staff member
Oil analysis and compression tests are awesome predictions of engine life.
BUT, They are useless in a single sample.
You need to get a baseline, and then watch the change over time to predict a worn or wearing engine.
Worth it in the long run, as an engine will run great for a long time (little wear) then as it degrades, it degrades quickly(more and more shavings). Knowing where it started helps you compare how it's doing now.

This is done EVERY flight on Turbofan engines. It's called EPR.
As the engine pressure ratio drops over time, they calculate how far it has worn.

James

Staff member
Go on a trail ride with me, I ride moto and trail, I don't have a hour meter but I do have a gas tank. I use way more fuel when I trail ride than I do when I moto ride. I am on the throttle way more on the track than on the trails, but I ride longer when I am on the trails. I don't see you logic here. :noidea: I guess this is the 6 foot vs 8 foot bed on a truck debate again :poke:
Huh? I'm pretty sure I just said (implied) the same thing as you.

Riley said that he puts 3-4 hours on his bike in one ride. I'm assuming that he means trail riding because yes 3-4 hours on a trail ride is probably the norm. However 3-4 hours on the track, in one day, is a heck of a lot of riding. :shocked:

Back before I had a hour meter I would grossly over estimate my hours on the bike while riding moto. You put in 15 min of hard riding (15 min motos) and then rest for 45 min (while other groups put in their 15 moto). So if you're at the track for 5 hours you only managed to get in 1 hour and 15 min. :noidea:

Huh? I'm pretty sure I just said (implied) the same thing as you.

Riley said that he puts 3-4 hours on his bike in one ride. I'm assuming that he means trail riding because yes 3-4 hours on a trail ride is probably the norm. However 3-4 hours on the track, in one day, is a heck of a lot of riding. :shocked:

Back before I had a hour meter I would grossly over estimate my hours on the bike while riding moto. You put in 15 min of hard riding (15 min motos) and then rest for 45 min (while other groups put in their 15 moto). So if you're at the track for 5 hours you only managed to get in 1 hour and 15 min. :noidea:

Track riding :lol:

Are we talking motocross or trail riding? You have a hour meter or just guestimating?

Go to an open ride and in 4 hours you'll only get four 15 minute motos. Depending on how many groups there are it's sometimes even less.

Motocross. I have no hour meter...only a time-telling device and a (sub-par) memory.

I've never actually been to a track like that. The local tracks I ride at (open practice) is what it is...open. Everyone rides at once, and no groups. There has been one time when they did groups on the SX track when it was really busy, but then I would just jump over to the Motocross track and ride. And I also have a couple friends with nice private tracks (no groups, of course...all out ride-fest)

So, if I go for 4 hours, I ride for 4 hours. (I of course take a little water break every once in a while)

Motocross. I have no hour meter...only a time-telling device and a (sub-par) memory.

I've never actually been to a track like that. The local tracks I ride at (open practice) is what it is...open. Everyone rides at once, and no groups. There has been one time when they did groups on the SX track when it was really busy, but then I would just jump over to the Motocross track and ride. And I also have a couple friends with nice private tracks (no groups, of course...all out ride-fest)

So, if I go for 4 hours, I ride for 4 hours. (I of course have my water break every once in a while)
:shocked:

James

Staff member
I'd like to correct myself on that last part. "If I go for 4 hours, I ride for +/-3 hours."
You sure you don't want to correct that again? :lol: Like I've said before, once you get an hour meter you might want to adjust that again.

Seriously 3 hours of moto is a few tank fulls of gas.

You sure you don't want to correct that again? :lol: Like I've said before, once you get an hour meter you might want to adjust that again.

Seriously 3 hours of moto is a few tank fulls of gas.

I dont "moto" the whole time. I'll do a few laps, then practice/play on some sections that are fun or I need work on, then do a few more laps and such. I'm also there for all daylight, lets say 6-8 hours. I will certainly ride at least 4 hours of that (which would be one oil change for you). I just talked to another person who said they do the same, ride all day and rack up 4-5 hours (confirmed by hour meter). It's really not that crazy for us folk who have the luxury of riding all day, the whole time without dealing with group time sessions. :thumb:

Basically, we're cheap bastards and we want our money's worth, damnit!

Sorry to hijack!

I dont "moto" the whole time. I'll do a few laps, then practice/play on some sections that are fun or I need work on, then do a few more laps and such. I'm also there for all daylight, lets say 6-8 hours. I will certainly ride at least 4 hours of that (which would be one oil change for you). I just talked to another person who said they do the same, ride all day and rack up 4-5 hours (confirmed by hour meter). It's really not that crazy for us folk who have the luxury of riding all day, the whole time without dealing with group time sessions. :thumb:

Basically, we're cheap bastards and we want our money's worth, damnit!

Sorry to hijack!
Says the guy with no bike :devil:

James

Staff member
Oil analysis and compression tests are awesome predictions of engine life.
BUT, They are useless in a single sample.
You need to get a baseline, and then watch the change over time to predict a worn or wearing engine.
Worth it in the long run, as an engine will run great for a long time (little wear) then as it degrades, it degrades quickly(more and more shavings). Knowing where it started helps you compare how it's doing now.
Here's a sample report from them, looks like they keep your previous results for comparison. :thumb:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle-sample-report-1.php

I personally would not go through all this work for a dirt bike. If i was running an airplane engine or a top fueler I may then be concerned although the top fuelers don't stay together long enough to worry. I was also under the impression that a good oil filter was supposed to remove any metal fragments. :noidea: Keep the oil full and change regularly and ride it. Everything will eventually wear out and need to be replaced but if you take good care of things it lives longer. :prof:

I personally would not go through all this work for a dirt bike. If i was running an airplane engine or a top fueler I may then be concerned although the top fuelers don't stay together long enough to worry. I was also under the impression that a good oil filter was supposed to remove any metal fragments. :noidea: Keep the oil full and change regularly and ride it. Everything will eventually wear out and need to be replaced but if you take good care of things it lives longer. :prof:
although I'm not sure about a 530, I believe that oil anaylsis on say a 250f or 450 are of some merit as doing them every oil change or even every other oil change will help tell you when its fixing to go boom and kindly suggest that its time for a rebuild.

although I'm not sure about a 530, I believe that oil anaylsis on say a 250f or 450 are of some merit as doing them every oil change or even every other oil change will help tell you when its fixing to go boom and kindly suggest that its time for a rebuild.
:thinking: