Dirt Bike Oil Analysis

I just ordered one, however I'll be doing VOA (virgin oil anaylsis) to see if the oil I'm using (Kal-Gard) is worth the extra 3 a quart over the rotella

James, you change your oil like every ride. Only a handful of hours, right? If so it will look like the almost new oil it is when it's analyzed. I have a feeling that it would take 20 hours before it started to get worn out.

James

Staff member
James, you change your oil like every ride. Only a handful of hours, right? If so it will look like the almost new oil it is when it's analyzed. I have a feeling that it would take 20 hours before it started to get worn out.
I've been changing it every 3-4 hours which is about every 3-5 rides. They're also supposed to check for particles (shavings) which is one of the main things I'm after.

waste of money unless you are trying to create a problem......

use a flat black plastic pan enough to hold 2-3qts of oil. drain the oil hot and allow it to sit. next morning tlit the pan slightly and you'll be able to see any metal particles stuck to the bottom of the pan...

I've been changing it every 3-4 hours which is about every 3-5 rides. They're also supposed to check for particles (shavings) which is one of the main things I'm after.

Holy crap, you don't ride for long! I usually knock out 3-4 hours in just 1 ride.

What does analyzing your oil tell you?

James

Staff member
Holy crap, you don't ride for long! I usually knock out 3-4 hours in just 1 ride.
Are we talking motocross or trail riding? You have a hour meter or just guestimating?

Go to an open ride and in 4 hours you'll only get four 15 minute motos. Depending on how many groups there are it's sometimes even less.

What does analyzing your oil tell you?

what type of additives are in the oil
for instance, zinc is a great wear additive and calcium is a great detergent.

the amount of iron found in the oil will tell you how good it is doing in preventing wear
and high amounts of NA means a coolant leak

however, the emergence of moly and boron also make the lack of zinc acceptable as they are actually superior lubricators
just things I've learned from reading bobistheoilguy.com

I've done a lot of reading there, and its actually quite fun knowing that chevron supreme is a better oil than castrol gtx and is quite a bit cheaper (automotive)

Are we talking motocross or trail riding? You have a hour meter or just guestimating?

Go to an open ride and in 4 hours you'll only get four 15 minute motos. Depending on how many groups there are it's sometimes even less.
Go on a trail ride with me, I ride moto and trail, I don't have a hour meter but I do have a gas tank. I use way more fuel when I trail ride than I do when I moto ride. I am on the throttle way more on the track than on the trails, but I ride longer when I am on the trails. I don't see you logic here. :noidea: I guess this is the 6 foot vs 8 foot bed on a truck debate again :poke:

Go on a trail ride with me, I ride moto and trail, I don't have a hour meter but I do have a gas tank. I use way more fuel when I trail ride than I do when I moto ride. I am on the throttle way more on the track than on the trails, but I ride longer when I am on the trails. I don't see you logic here. :noidea: I guess this is the 6 foot vs 8 foot bed on a truck debate again :poke:

Or quick vs fast

Or

2t vs 4t

Or

Naturaledge vs any action hero