Pro Could a 125 Clear Larocco's Leap?

James

Staff member
Trust me, im not saying that it wouldnt be much harder to do on a 125 than on a 250f. cause it would (and alot more scary) :eek: but if you have enough R&D into the 125, have it set up perfectly for laroccos leap itself, and you put the best 125 rider in the world on it, i guarantee that mother effer is clearing it eventually.
I'd really love to meet this guy that's faster than Baggett, who rides a PC Kawi and is the current points leader, on a 125. :lol: Listen to yourself for a second.

James

Staff member
YZ read this :lol:
http://www.wndu.com/sports/headlines/RedBuds_LaRoccos_Leap_turns_20-years-old_124798079.html

WNDU:
Even more impressive is that LaRocco landed the jump with a 125 bike. Nowadays, the pros are using 450s. Simply said, the 450s are a lot more powerful. The pros of today, don't know how LaRocco did it with a 125 bike.
"I wouldn't even attempt to think about trying it [with a 125]," says 22-year-old pro rider Shane Sewell of nearby Westville, Indiana.
He and others did it back then because it wasn't as big as it is now.

out of a corner and uphill and WOT!!!!!! not gonna happen... THEY ADDED 60ft TO THIS JUMP!

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/38093586#!
Pretty sure they didn't add that much. :P

Here's a picture I took of the landing (first little "bump" is the middle landing)
Redbud-Laroccos-Leap.jpg

Here's some from Racer X from 2010.

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

The face of the take off is so steep that you can't even crawl up it.

James

Staff member
Really?
"While 80% of the track has changed over the last 20 years, the Leap has been left the same."
I've been told by a number of riders that it's been changed for this year (they're having trouble clearing it). Next race I'll ask the track crew. :thumb:

In 1991, a 120ft triple jump was constructed at Red Bud Motocross track in Buchannon, MI. It was Modeled after a large jump at Larocco's personal track called, called "Kong." Larocco and track co-owner Tim Ritchie decided to build a jump just like it at Red Bud. It was later named after Mike, after he became the first person to clear it, doing so on a 125cc bike, which is considered by the motocross community to be an impressive feat

JYD... I got a yz125 in the barn you can use :smirk:

THats right James..... Its a big ass jump... A REALLY BIG ASS JUMP!
Even the 94ish RM250 might have a hard time committing to such a gap....

James

Staff member
JYD... I got a yz125 in the barn you can use :smirk:

THats right James..... Its a big ass jump... A REALLY BIG ASS JUMP!
Even the 94ish RM250 might have a hard time committing to such a gap....
Nah the 94ish RM250 could make it, not sure about the rider though. :lol: