Can you patch a hole in a head pipe?

I could always just try the Quick Steel and if it doesnt work, oh well. Ya? It wont make things worse will it? It either holds or doesnt.

From the sounds of it this is a very small hole. I have used JB Weld for many things in the past including patching some holes in the head of my baja bug engine. You can mix this stuff up, spread it on and then grind, drill or shape however you want when dry. I also patched a side case on my dad's bike years ago and drilled and tapped it with new bolts and it never failed. It should even match the color. :thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
No band-aids until you find the root cause.:naughty:

....took some wire and ran it through a mount hole and rigged it beautifully...
...been riding my bike with the head pipe wired on for months...
...the pipe is in contact with a bolt on my oil filter...It is resting on the sharp corner edge of a bolt...it appears to have worn through.
If it's "rigged beautifully," yet resting on a bolt... I'm not sure what the root cause is here. The mounting characteristics of a head pipe and muffler mounts,(Springs or wire) should not allow it to be out of alignment. Unless something else is tweaked as well. How do the springs fix this?
Have any photos? They would be helpful.

...what makes titanium so different or difficult? Why would it require an "expert?"

It has awesome light weight, tensile strength, and non corrosive properties. 40% lighter than steel.
You can weld it! If you are a professional/competent mig/tig welder already. :smirk:

You should have a shop do it. Walk just the pipe in and they will charge $25+ for one little droplet weld. Worth every penny as these temporary fixes you are considering may end up costing you more time in the long run.

Here's some reading for expanding our brains.
http://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/titanium-you-can-weld-it
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/TIG-gtaw-titanium-welding
-BIG DAN:thumb:

No band-aids until you find the root cause.:naughty:

If it's "rigged beautifully," yet resting on a bolt... I'm not sure what the root cause is here. The mounting characteristics of a head pipe and muffler mounts,(Springs or wire) should not allow it to be out of alignment. Unless something else is tweaked as well. How do the springs fix this?
Have any photos? They would be helpful.

It has awesome light weight, tensile strength, and non corrosive properties. 40% lighter than steel.
You can weld it! If you are a professional/competent mig/tig welder already. :smirk:

You should have a shop do it. Walk just the pipe in and they will charge $25+ for one little droplet weld. Worth every penny as these temporary fixes you are considering may end up costing you more time in the long run.

Here's some reading for expanding our brains.
http://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/titanium-you-can-weld-it
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/TIG-gtaw-titanium-welding
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Dan, your the man. Why cant YOU live next door? I guess because we would drink too much beer and spend too much time riding dirt bikes, and your sweet girl friend would be pissed! LOL

Actually He DID rig it beautifully but, I think the wire he used wasnt ideal and may have sagged or stretched over time and with heat just barely enough to come in contact with the bolt. It wasnt orginally in contact when he wired it. But also, I think it is because I dont have a gasket between the header and rear. So there is slight play in it. For sure the springs kept it up and pulled away from that bolt.

I think it is good advice you have given me Palmer and Dan. Knowing me I'd probably screw it up more or, not do such a great job as someone else with experience. But you do have to admit I did pretty well straightening it last year in the freezer ehh?:D Or was that two years ago already? Holy mackerel:shocked: It HAS been two years already!!

Thanks again everyone.

I may know of a local that welds Titanium and if so, does great work may give me a good price. I will report back when I find out.

Nevermind the "know-it-all's" Sun. Back when I was a young scholarship engineering student at MIT (before I did my doctorate at Stanford) and I was designing the Canadarm for the space Shuttle, I would regularly use "Bazooka Joe" bubblegum to patch things up. You're welcome :cheers:

Nevermind the "know-it-all's" Sun. Back when I was a young scholarship engineering student at MIT (before I did my doctorate at Stanford) and I was designing the Canadarm for the space Shuttle, I would regularly use "Bazooka Joe" bubblegum to patch things up. You're welcome :cheers:

Oh Ledge, you make me laugh:lol: but ya know, a smart woman only believes half of what she hears, a wise woman knows which half:smirk:

That reminds me of a ride I went on where MxDirtDiva crashed. I looked over at her bike and saw it puking oil from the case. I quicky took my gum out of my mouth and shoved it on the leak. Good thing I did, because we had a ways to go. That is after we JB'd a coin to it.

Again, thanks CDA:hug: Are ya ready for this? I STILL havent taken it off YET!:D But Im going to get around to it in the next day or two so stay tuned and we shall see the true damage I've done.

Oh Ledge, you make me laugh:lol: but ya know, a smart woman only believes half of what she hears, a wise woman knows which half:smirk:

That reminds me of a ride I went on where MxDirtDiva crashed. I looked over at her bike and saw it puking oil from the case. I quicky took my gum out of my mouth and shoved it on the leak. Good thing I did, because we had a ways to go. That is after we JB'd a coin to it.

Again, thanks CDA:hug: Are ya ready for this? I STILL havent taken it off YET!:D But Im going to get around to it in the next day or two so stay tuned and we shall see the true damage I've done.

When you take it off, get a pic and send it to me. That will help when I call my buddy.

True fact in the CDA racing camp - Hi-Temp Silicone, Cut up Coors Light can and 2 hose clamps fitted a 2 in crack in a CR500 pipe and lasted well after a 130 mile dez race. And yes, I did not let the Coors Light go to waist that morning of race...:devil:

When you take it off, get a pic and send it to me. That will help when I call my buddy.

True fact in the CDA racing camp - Hi-Temp Silicone, Cut up Coors Light can and 2 hose clamps fitted a 2 in crack in a CR500 pipe and lasted well after a 130 mile dez race. And yes, I did not let the Coors Light go to waist that morning of race...:devil:

I will take a pic for you.

That is improvising at it's finest:thumb: