Can you patch a hole in a head pipe?

The title pretty much sums it up. My Yosh, titanium no less, I believe has a hole in it.It's too hot outside right now to confirm this. I will need to take it off to investigate further but I am pretty certain it has a hole. Waay back when, I went for a ride after changing my oil. On my KLX you have to take the head pipe off the get to the oil filter (lame.) There are two spring loaded hooks that hold it on and in position. Well, sometimes trying to get those on or off they slip and I bang my knuckles or hands. Often I will nicely ask my Husband to do it for me. So I sat them aside to ask him to do it later for me but I forgot. So after getting to the staging area and unloading. I then realize I forgot to put the springs back on:banghead: so on this particular ride Speakerman took some wire and ran it through a mount hole and rigged it beautifully:hail::thumb:
The bike ran fine. Later I discovered I lost one of the springs that I hadnt put back on. So I ordered new ones and have had them in my purse now for months:rolleyes: I also have been riding my bike with the head pipe wired on for months. All because I just forget to put the springs back on and also because the bike was running fine, and I was being lazy:banghead: No excuse, stupid me should have put them on immediately! So yesterday Im looking at my bike closely and noticed the pipe is in contact with a bolt on my oil filter. I look closer and it appears to have worn a hole in it. It is resting on the sharp corner edge of a bolt. I havent removed it yet. It is just too hot to work on the bike right now. But from what I can see so far, it appears to have worn through.

So I was wondering, is there anyway to drop a weld on it? Wondering how I can fix it, if at all. Im sooo bummed and mad at myself:mad: I LOVE my pipe. I dont want to lose it. And I cant afford to replace it with another titanium one. I THINK the stock head pipe will fit on my Yosh tail but, I didnt really want to do that and Im not positive it will.

Any thoughts or experience with this is appreciated.

Only nice thoughts though. I already know what a retard I am for all of it. My Husband keeps reminding me. So keep those thoughts to yourself. And dont blow shit off like this. You may be sorry!

Thanks my moto friends.

First off.... If i ever come across a chick with dirt bike parts in her purse............

Yep, You can probably have it patched pretty easy. But first i would take it off and be sure that there is a hole there. I would be you are going to need new gaskets and or seals also.

First off.... If i ever come across a chick with dirt bike parts in her purse............

Yep, You can probably have it patched pretty easy. But first i would take it off and be sure that there is a hole there. I would be you are going to need new gaskets and or seals also.

Yes, a gasket is also needed. Which I also havent had on it for a while :D As far as the hole, I wasnt sure you could spot weld a hole, I dont think I have ever seen a patched hole on a pipe. And does titanium make a differance for any reason?

As for the purse, even funnier was meeting my friend out at the track for her side-car race. When I get there she is all upset because her driver didnt put the springs or bracket or whatever their pipe system uses bsck on their race bike, therefore they couldnt race:picard:

So she introduces me to him, "This is my friend Sun." And I say "nice to meet you Mike, perhaps (I start digging in my purse) you can use these? And I pull out my new springs:lol: He was like WTF? You carry these things in your purse?

Once you take the pipe off and it does need a patch do to a hole, you can have that done.

You can also put the stock pipe back on as well and may only need to adjust the air screw to dial it in since the bike was jetted for the aftermarket pipe.

Some head pipes have a squish ring or gasket but since you have taken this pipe off before and did not see one, you might not have it. You can check with the shop or go look up the parts on Rocky Mohntain to see if they are listing any pipe gaskets.

Just wheel the bike in the house where it is cooler and work on it there. :devil:

Once you take the pipe off and it does need a patch do to a hole, you can have that done.

You can also put the stock pipe back on as well and may only need to adjust the air screw to dial it in since the bike was jetted for the aftermarket pipe.

Some head pipes have a squish ring or gasket but since you have taken this pipe off before and did not see one, you might not have it. You can check with the shop or go look up the parts on Rocky Mohntain to see if they are listing any pipe gaskets.

Just wheel the bike in the house where it is cooler and work on it there. :devil:

Wonder why I have never seen a welded hole. Maybe because Im not looking closely enough or, people dont put holes in them often, just dents. I'll look into the squish seal washer majigger.

Roll it in to the house:devil: yea, I've been know to do that a few times. I've even backed it up to my Son's bedroom and fired it up at 6am. He was pissed!:smirk:

Thanks CDA, thanks BoBo.

Bummer first.
Welding a hole in titanium will take an expert welder. Make sure you have a shop do it. 20 bucks should be a minimums charge unless you are good at batting your eyes. :smirk:

I dont know if you guys have it, but in Aus we have an epoxy called Quiksteel thats perfect for this sort of thing. you knead it together and apply it and after 15 minutes it sets as hard as steel. You can grind, shape and paint it.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Service/quiksteel_epoxy_putty.htm
I carry it in my pack and its got us out of trouble a few times.

SS

Wait, seals? Where do the seals go?

Part# 11061-0082

I found this in the bottom of my trail pack. Would this work on it I wonder?:noidea:

I dont know if you guys have it, but in Aus we have an epoxy called Quiksteel thats perfect for this sort of thing. you knead it together and apply it and after 15 minutes it sets as hard as steel. You can grind, shape and paint it.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Service/quiksteel_epoxy_putty.htm
I carry it in my pack and its got us out of trouble a few times.
SS

Not sure if JB Weld is the same as Quiksteel but, if it is I think I will try it. Just not sure because it is titanium. Thanks for the info:thumb:

Part# 11061-0082

Thanks CDA:hug:

Palmer, what makes titanium so different or difficult? Why would it require an "expert?" :confused:

I appreciate all the input. I am becoming more and more hopeful.