Bikes for my wife and I

I don't think you would be overbiked with the 450 from what I know of sw riding. Keeping in mind you will be riding with your wife on a smaller rig the 250 on the other hand may not seem too small. If I was going to turn it dual sport the 450 would definitely be more palatable to me, but again I feel it would just be trying to make the proverbial silk purse. If you want to ride on the street get something you can enjoy there too. It safer and more comfortable too.
Gotchya. I'm not looking for something street legal so that I can long range ride. I want it street legal so I can ride short distances (like getting some food thats by the trails). So I'm not too worried about how well it actually does on the street.

Anyways, it looks like the 250f will probably be the better choice for me, but I think I will be open to a 450f if I find a nice one before coming up on a 250f.

yeah, just see what you can get a deal on, because bought right they can almost always get your money back, when you want to trade up. But I really have to chuckle at anyone that is "designing" his ride around being able to get to food near the trail. (Perhaps you have seen things called back packs?) Anyway, you will figure out what you like and what won't work for you as I have.

yeah, just see what you can get a deal on, because bought right they can almost always get your money back, when you want to trade up. But I really have to chuckle at anyone that is "designing" his ride around being able to get to food near the trail. (Perhaps you have seen things called back packs?) Anyway, you will figure out what you like and what won't work for you as I have.

Well I'm not 'designing' it around that, because that would be a bit silly as you mentioned. That was just an example of when it would be ridden on the street. It is just a nice option, that if I wanted to ride it somewhere, I could. But as I said in my first post; it is not a priority if it means I have to make big sacrifices.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice. I will keep you guys updated.

A conversion has a place to me if it is to open up riding on land or in areas where there is a street legal requirement. There was a limited amount of that in a certain trail area on some US forest svc land, so i built one. I have dual sport bikes because where I live they have a place even on some of our paved roads and I used them to ride longer distances in the lower 48 with the purpose of riding some logging roads and forest service roads. The ones I owned were KLR 650's and it really is a single cylinder street bike that has a little longer suspension. It is NOT good at all on any kind of trail. Dirt roads, it is acceptable if you could drive a car like a crv etc on. None of them are very inexpensive to convert most places, particularly if you have to pay for some help there. So if that explains my rancor for the conversion bikes, I am doing fine. One of the guys that comes on here once in awhile converted a wr450 and is pleased enough with it. He has real dirtbikes too, but I believe he was motivated as I was for certain areas where he had to have a street legal rig.

I think the 450 would be a lot of bike for someone new to the sport.
I agree but if you use good throttle control and don't try to ride above your head and ride easy terrain, one could learn to control the power and learn to use it. Honestly tho I ride my sons 250f and it has plenty of power for most everyone.

Last edited:
I think the 450 would be a lot of bike for someone new to the sport.[/QUOTE

The wr is quite tame. The ebutton pretty much does away with the biggest concern for a new rider. Desert trails aren't like what you are used to either. I would not like one here for some of the trails. More than half of them really are ones that a two stroke or 250 f would let most guys go faster on.

As Mike hints, if it hasn't been yz'd it's not going to get away with anyone.