Bikes for my wife and I

Alright, so we went and sat on a bunch! It looks like it's been boiled down to being between the kx100,klx140l, and crf150f. We are really leaning towards the crf150f because we were told it will be much more reliable and have less maintenance than the other two. This is a big deal for us. However she did really like that the other 2 are much lighter. The less weight she has to pick off the ground and 'handle' the more enjoyable the experience will be.

As for me my options are WR250f, YZ250f (sat on it and liked how light it was) or the crf250x. I wasn't considering the Honda before but a friend of ours that rides really stressed how much less maintenance and reliability the CRF will have.

EDIT: just found out the YZ doesn't have electric start, which is big for me, so thats a no no!

Last edited:
glad you took those steps. I am not sure about the KLX and electric start if that is a concern for your wife. each of the 4 strokes are easy to start if the carburetor is close to clean. Ditto with the kx100 if you keep the carburetor clean and a clean spark plug. I have had one in the family and other one that might as well have been in the family that we set up for a 'senior rider' who is over 6 feet. if you are considering the kx 100 dont pass up a deal on a kx85 either. the cylinders swap in about an an hour, and other than shorter wheels (something that a shorter person my be fine with anyway, at nearly 6 feet i ride the small wheels as well as the bigger ones).
I would just let what you can find deals on clean ones decide that one. if your wife is as athletic as you say she wont have any trouble picking up either with one hand (seriously, she just needs to know the technique as in any other lift). fyi the smaller wheel bikes are also easier to rock back up for a small person. fyi the kx 85 is also a little faster than a kx 100 due to the way kawasaki chose to concentrate the power towards the lower end on the kx 100. once you put the kx100 cylinder on the kx85 you have one of the easiest to ride bikes on the planet and it weighs less than the kx 100 by about 8 lbs when we weighed them years ago (pre power valve engines).

the yzf and the crf do not have e buttons. they also have close ratio racing type transmissions, though both can be converted or geared down until you get some trail skills. the problem with each of those is they are not good go slow trail ride rigs. where you may not really need one to be like that, you will find yourself happier at a much higher speed than someone on a beginner bike will be. conversely you won't be as happy going slow and riding with those on slow bikes. you end up waiting and the other person ends up riding alone. so if the idea of riding together is part of the attraction, chalk one up in the loss column. The crfx and the wr will make you more easily able to match your wife's speed and make the ride more fun. I suggest people buy bikes that work well together if they are going to be riding together. I dont think you can even guess how that will play out from where you sit now. I have several bikes and I have always had one to ride when I go with the beginners. more for me than for them.

Whoever is telling you about the reliability factor between the crfx/crf and the wr/yzf has given you some very questionable advice. To be honest, it is just plain not the case as the percentages play out. The WR when treated the same as the crfx is the hands down winner when it comes to reliability. I am more pro honda that probably anyone you will find on this forum and MANY other ones (I own lots of hondas including a crf that has a crfx transmission installed). The WR lacks a little bit of finesse and polish as oposed to the honda, but it is the more trouble free, starting at the head (valve issues on the honda can be fixed for around 1200 if you are getting it all done at a shop), and then move to the transmission. I would not be scared off the honda by the reliability (always avoid the 2004 crf/crfx because in addition to the head/valves they have a cylinder issue), but you probably won't be as willing as I am to deal with those issues.

anyway, don't be too shy about getting a wr450 either. it is a nice slow go bike and can still keep you hp happy for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Kx100 is probably too zippy for the wife. You can't go wrong with the klx140 or crf150f. Gas tires and oil is all they ever need.

The WR250 is a great bike and you really can't go wrong with any of those 3 you mentioned.

the Honda 250 4st are not valve train durable, they suck, a Yamaha, Kawasaki, or KTM will out last a Honda by years when it comes to the head. The Honda does however have the best smooth suspension straight from the dealer so it is easy to ride.

the Honda 250 4st are not valve train durable, they suck, a Yamaha, Kawasaki, or KTM will out last a Honda by years when it comes to the head. The Honda does however have the best smooth suspension straight from the dealer so it is easy to ride.
I'd sacrifice smooth rides for a reliable power train any day That's what your legs are for. You gotta use the coil overs God gave you hahaha

Figured I'd chime in here since your wife and I are the same exact size. I have a kx100 I love it, it's light weight, has some snap to it, been pretty reliable. When I was actually riding every weekend I went a year without any mechanical issues aside from needing new clutch plates, but that's normal maintenance. Might I add most of the hours on my bike were riding pinned in sand dunes :lol: With that being said It's still on the top end it has had since I bought it in 2010 :lol: While the trail bike 4 strokes are reliable their suspension lacks for me and they are just frikkin heavy. I have a CR125 which is a pain because I'm so short. I have to come up with a strategy for getting a foot down without falling over. Suspension is way too stiff for my weight. But with all of that being said if I were to have the suspension set up for my weight and shaved the seat I'd probably never ride the kx100 again.

I will most definitely keep you guys updated. The hardest part now is finding a used private party one in the 2010-2014 range (We don't pay sales tax in AZ on private party purchases)

I've decided on the F version of the WR for myself and then just making it street legal at a later time. I did more research and there are definitely alot of disadvantages to getting the dualsport R. Any opinions on the WR250F vs WR450F for me? It's not that I don't thing the 250 will be enough power at first, but it might be easier to find one if I expand my search to a 450.

Also, any better place to look for a use done other than craigslist or cycletrader?

Oh and just to chime in on Andy's insightful post. Having the big wheels would be very beneficial for your wife. I could not imagine having smaller wheels than I already do on my 100 they already feel dinky

I will most definitely keep you guys updated. The hardest part now is finding a used private party one in the 2010-2014 range (We don't pay sales tax in AZ on private party purchases)

I've decided on the F version of the WR for myself and then just making it street legal at a later time. I did more research and there are definitely alot of disadvantages to getting the dualsport R. Any opinions on the WR250F vs WR450F for me? It's not that I don't thing the 250 will be enough power at first, but it might be easier to find one if I expand my search to a 450.

Also, any better place to look for a use done other than craigslist or cycletrader?

There may be a Facebook page/group for your area

I don't think you would be overbiked with the 450 from what I know of sw riding. Keeping in mind you will be riding with your wife on a smaller rig the 250 on the other hand may not seem too small. If I was going to turn it dual sport the 450 would definitely be more palatable to me, but again I feel it would just be trying to make the proverbial silk purse. If you want to ride on the street get something you can enjoy there too. It safer and more comfortable too.