Bikes for my wife and I

some like 4's and some like 2's. I think there is every possibility that in your wife's case you need to start small and once she learns to ride she wont feel she needs to have both feet on the ground firmly like she is hitting a baseball. I was over 6 feet at my tallest and I have ones that when sprung the way I wanted them I was on my tip toes with size 11's. What you think you need your feet for now and what you need them for in a year is likely to be pretty different.

as for the 230's etc those can be sofened up a bit, and if I may say, you seem to be deciding what you should buy a little too much on the brochure and not getting some saddle time. You can shorten a bike up pretty easy, and if it is an old style damper rod suspension, make that REAL easy.

Seems like alot of people complain about the TTR's being very underpowered.

What about a CRF150R. Seems like its a good amount of power and a good height 32".

Great bike. have her sit on it. i bet a 230 pushes down into it's soft suspension further and sits lower with her on it. I wont be as easy to ride as the crf150f is or the 230 and won't have a nice low low gear and the list goes on, but it will be fast. again, dont you think it wise to at least ride a few of these?

Anyway good luck.

Unfortunately theres no way we can get the KDX. There's absolutely no way her feet can touch the ground, and she is definitely very sure of only 1 thing, and thats that her feet need to touch the ground (and I actually agree).

Why a 2 stroke 250? Whats wrong with a 4 stroke like the wr250?
personal preference, Im probably not the best person to talk to about 4Ts. I hate them Im for surely a 2stroke premixing old school dirtbike lover. I have a 2014 KTMxcw, 2003 KX250, and 1987 KX250. Not all old school bikes but I have the mind set and just love to get on that pipe! Don't get me wrong, the WR250 is a pretty bullet proof bike, im just not too big on 4 strokes.... my KTM250xcw I think you would like, its a real coolie crawler in first gear and still gets aggressive on the top end. If your new to the game a 250f would be a great choice. Reliable and tough, smooth and easier to ride than a 2 stroke. You really need to be able to ride a 2 stroke, 4 strokes drive you. Like comparing a 2015 Cadillac to a 1967 Mustang, I just get the thrill of the Mustang myself!

Great bike. have her sit on it. i bet a 230 pushes down into it's soft suspension further and sits lower with her on it. I wont be as easy to ride as the crf150f is or the 230 and won't have a nice low low gear and the list goes on, but it will be fast. again, dont you think it wise to at least ride a few of these?

Anyway good luck.

I don't disagree with you at all.. However we are the only crazies out of all our friends that like to do adventurous things like this (or have the money to atleast), so there isn't any chance we get to 'try stuff out' (we moved to phx 7 or so years ago, so don't know as many people as if we grew up around here). We also have a very busy schedule which means not much time to hang out with new people and crowds. I'm already used to it at this point, since its been the same with just about everything else I've bought that would of been nice to try a few different ones first(Wakeboards/boats/snowboards/bows/ etc...).

So I would love to be able to just try all these out in a day and then decide, however as described its not an option.

Last edited:
also you can buy lowering kits for most of these bikes. It will be a new "dog bone" for the linkage and it could drop the ride height up to 2.5-3 inches. also the are options like chopping down seat foam, and I know bikes that have a stock 19" rear wheel can have an 18" rear rim placed on them. I run 19" rear rims but im 6'1" so its not an issue for me.

also you can buy lowering kits for most of these bikes. It will be a new "dog bone" for the linkage and it could drop the ride height up to 2.5-3 inches. also the are options like chopping down seat foam, and I know bikes that have a stock 19" rear wheel can have an 18" rear rim placed on them. I run 19" rear rims but im 6'1" so its not an issue for me.
OK, it looks like we might have to have her go sit on a couple different ones and see just how far away she is from the ground. I know the particular honda 250 we sat on she was VERY far.

You can also lower the sag, by backing down the preload on the rear spring, I did this with my girls when they moved from a 85 to a 125, the down side is you bottom out the rear easily, but once they became comfortable with the size weight and power, I was able to raise the preload back to normal as they didn't really need to "flat foot" anymore.

Seems like alot of people complain about the TTR's being very underpowered.

What about a CRF150R. Seems like its a good amount of power and a good height 32".
Well doing more research on the CRF150R, it looks like its a pretty 'advance' level bike and really jerky for the inexperienced. Not good, the CRF150F on the other hand is said to be heavy and underpowered.

Do they not make a GOOD all around short bike! Seems like every single one has some major flaws or disadvantages.

I do understand that I can modify any bike to work, but that takes alot of time or experience. Unfortunately neither of which I have. My free time is limited. Which is why I was looking for something that will work 'out of the box'. Every hour spent modifying the bike is an hour stolen from riding or doing one of our other hobbies! (haha). But on a serious note, I don't know anyone in this field, so even the simplest things will take me hours to research and learn to do myself. Not the type of time I want to invest right away before even going out and riding for our first time. If we really get into it and ride ALOT , then I have no problem selling the bike and getting something better and spending the time modifying it...

I don't disagree with you at all.. However we are the only crazies out of all our friends that like to do adventurous things like this (or have the money to atleast), so there isn't any chance we get to 'try stuff out' (we moved to phx 7 or so years ago, so don't know as many people as if we grew up around here). We also have a very busy schedule which means not much time to hang out with new people and crowds. I'm already used to it at this point, since its been the same with just about everything else I've bought that would of been nice to try a few different ones first(Wakeboards/boats/snowboards/bows/ etc...).

So I would love to be able to just try all these out in a day and then decide, however as described its not an option.
I know from past experience that a little extra time pays dome pretty big dividends. As long as neither one of you are terminal at this point I am not sure what May be lost if you take a week to fix weeks and do some looking.

Oh, I am betting I was at least as far from home when I moved to Alaska from Calif as you two are. You sound resourceful enough.

Last edited:
Well doing more research on the CRF150R, it looks like its a pretty 'advance' level bike and really jerky for the inexperienced. Not good, the CRF150F on the other hand is said to be heavy and underpowered.

Do they not make a GOOD all around short bike! Seems like every single one has some major flaws or disadvantages.

I do understand that I can modify any bike to work, but that takes alot of time or experience. Unfortunately neither of which I have. My free time is limited. Which is why I was looking for something that will work 'out of the box'. Every hour spent modifying the bike is an hour stolen from riding or doing one of our other hobbies! (haha). But on a serious note, I don't know anyone in this field, so even the simplest things will take me hours to research and learn to do myself. Not the type of time I want to invest right away before even going out and riding for our first time. If we really get into it and ride ALOT , then I have no problem selling the bike and getting something better and spending the time modifying it...

Try the Yamaha TTR or honda crf 150f or 230f. Stop by a dealer and check some out. Usually they are willing to pull the bikes out and let you sit on them for feel and comfort. There are also a bunch of dirt biking schools that provide bikes for you to learn on.
Here are a couple of links and you can also google for more in your area.

https://www.dirtbikeschool.org/

http://www.motorcycletraining.com/why-us/

Last edited:

Unfortunately modifying the bike to you or your wife is a big part of riding. The more time you put into customizing the feel of your bike to your liking the more comfortable you are goin to feel on the bike and the greater overall experience of ease you will have. I have spent countless hours tuning my suspension to my liking and it has created a plush and far better handling bike increasing its ridability for me. Pros spend hundreds of thousands of dollars doing this with many many hours of R and D time with mechanics to go so fast.

I think you really need to get "off the brochure" and ride some of these. I can only guess as to who you are reading. UNDERPOWERED for WHO? Seems like you are both just learning to ride. Again, see if it makes sense to start where beginners start and then move up.

Last edited:
Put it to rest check these trail bikes out:
Her, CRF 150 F
You, CRF 230 F
Just adapt to dirt riding, because the 2006 up 150 is electric start, you can DS easy later, or move up to bigger better.

Unfortunately modifying the bike to you or your wife is a big part of riding. The more time you put into customizing the feel of your bike to your liking the more comfortable you are goin to feel on the bike and the greater overall experience of ease you will have. I have spent countless hours tuning my suspension to my liking and it has created a plush and far betiter handling bike increasing its ridability for me. Pros spend hundreds of thousands of dollars doing this with many many hours of R and D time with mechanics to go so fast.

Unfortunate isn't the way I would put it. More like more opportunity to grow into the world that I love. Some don't take it as far is all.

Last edited:
do you want a race bike to go fast for her or a beginners bike? Beginners would be the 150F or the ttr125-they make several models of the ttr125. If you think she is a quick learner, will go fast soon, and likes lite weight, then a 2st 100 sized bike. 4st also get better mileage than the 2st. 4st are harder to work on and weigh more.

My kids both rode a XR100 for their first clutch bike at around 8 yrs old. Then both went on to a KX100. My daughter is 21 yrs, 5-2 and still rides a 2002 KX100. She also rides moms old 125 now at times, but can much more easily touch the ground, pickup and start the 100.