Picked up our first bikes! WR450F & TTR125LE

Well I finally got my wife and I our first dirt bikes, thanks to the advice in my other thread on here and other forums

I ended up buying a used 2014 WR450F with around 1200 miles on it and a bunch of starter mods , for me. For my wife I bought a very lightly used 2012 TTR125LE. We made a trip out to San Diego to pick them up, but it was well worth it. I have only had the chance to ride them around the block, but I can’t wait to go to the trails this weekend!

The TTR125LE fits my wife perfectly. She was really nervous about getting anything too big or heavy, and and this bike fits like a glove (shes 5’2” 105lb). It’s obviously under powered, but I figure it’s a good place to start and as soon as she outgrows it we will buy something more powerful (even if its within months). I’m just happy that she feels confident on it and not nervous. Here’s some pictures of it:

20150419_175331_zpsgs9lxiz6.jpg

20150420_085713_zpsbmt8gktf.jpg

The WR450F was used by someone that did enduro trail racing their entire life. He had a lot of placks and trophies in his garage from his youth. He stopped racing in the last few years because hes 60 now, but still rides trails down in Mexico a lot. So he definitely did everything to the bike that ‘needed’ to be done, including a lot of guards. It’s got many knicks and scratches on the plastics from riding but he actually even included a set of new plastics with it. He also did change the oil every time he road it and cleaned the air filter. So mechanically it seems very taken care of and sound. He just got a Beta to replace it and was working on his friends Beta in his garage, when I arrived. The other thing that lineed up perfectly is he was my weight and height, so the RaceTek tuned springs all feel right and are set for our weight. Here’s some pictures of it and a video:

20150420_084227_zps1ayvaq0l.jpg

20150420_084554_zpselaxnhku.jpg

20150420_084234_zpslcedkr8h.jpg

Video of exhaust:

VIDEO HERE

Anyways, can’t wait to take them out!

Congrats to you! Make sure to wear full gear especially for your wife! If she were to get injured right away it could not only cause her to quit riding but negatively effect your desires. Also, even though the previous owner was of your weight and size, it is poss, that he being an experienced rider, that the suspension settings may not be set for your needs!
Enjoy!

great choices...now spend several hundred dollars on gear for each of you and always wear it. You are going to fall off and it is a lot more fun to go home a little tired n sore than it is to be hurt. Ive seen many people get all the gear.......BUT not use knee/shin guards under the riding pants and get nasty knee injuries-cuts n scrapes...stupid

Congrats to you! Make sure to wear full gear especially for your wife! If she were to get injured right away it could not only cause her to quit riding but negatively effect your desires. Also, even though the previous owner was of your weight and size, it is poss, that he being an experienced rider, that the suspension settings may not be set for your needs!
Enjoy!

great choices...now spend several hundred dollars on gear for each of you and always wear it. You are going to fall off and it is a lot more fun to go home a little tired n sore than it is to be hurt. Ive seen many people get all the gear.......BUT not use knee/shin guards under the riding pants and get nasty knee injuries-cuts n scrapes...stupid

Oh yea, totally not skimping on the protection... I've ridden motorcycles so have seen what can happen from a 'harmless' or small mistake.

We both have Fly F2 carbon helmets and she has Alpinestar T6s boots

Just ordered:

Oakley O-Frame Goggles
Leatt Dual Axis Knee Guards
Leatt Contour Elbow Guards
2013 ansr alpha jersey combo for me (great deal since 2013)
Fox womens 180 combo for my wife
Leatt Pro Lite Chest Protector for me
Fox Proframe LC for my wife
AlpineStars 2014 tech 7 boots for me

Just dropped a bunch of $$ on it, but neither my wife or I can afford to break or injure anything (especially with my wifes profession). Hopefully this will hedge our the odds in our favor!

image.jpg Like this from one of our dear members wife.

Oh yea, totally not skimping on the protection... I've ridden motorcycles so have seen what can happen from a 'harmless' or small mistake.

We both have Fly F2 carbon helmets and she has Alpinestar T6s boots

Just ordered:

Oakley O-Frame Goggles
Leatt Dual Axis Knee Guards
Leatt Contour Elbow Guards
2013 ansr alpha jersey combo for me (great deal since 2013)
Fox womens 180 combo for my wife
Leatt Pro Lite Chest Protector for me
Fox Proframe LC for my wife
AlpineStars 2014 tech 7 boots for me

Just dropped a bunch of $$ on it, but neither my wife or I can afford to break or injure anything (especially with my wifes profession). Hopefully this will hedge our the odds in our favor!

If your wife has one of the jobs (or you do) that requires the use of "strong" hands you may want to look at some wrist guards. I started using them some time back when I was showing a friend of mine (she is a physical therapist) how to ride and she said she was treating lots of wrist injuries and a lot of them were from skate boarders and dirt bike riders. I never used to use them, but she wanted them since without her wrists she is out of work. The skate board shops have some pretty good ones that are cheap, almost like they expect you to throw them away.

Gloves for me are now coming from places that sell them to mechanics for the most part.

But you have the right idea, and that is dress for the get offs. Those come sooner or later and as was pointed out, being able to get up and ride home is penultimate.

The next thing I think I would buy would be as was suggested when you were shopping and that is a riding school. Don't discount the importance of getting off on the right food habit wise there. It will make every bike you will ever own faster and safer. It is worth way more than any bike mod. Suspension mods can't hold a candle to it. Anyway, I would be considering it and the purchase of the videos most good schools offer as the next thing. (Even if you have friends who have been riding as long as I have, you will gain way more from the school, and won't be subjected to picking up the bad habits that they don't even know they have.)

I started on an XR100 because I'd never ridden before and, kind of like your wife, was super adamant that my buddies not put me on anything I couldn't handle right away. I recently "graduated" to the TTR125, and its totally awesome. I don't have the power that my buddies do, but they've been riding way longer and the TTR makes me feel super safe, while being just a tiny bit more exciting than the XR. I'd love to know how the gear works out for your wife, too, because I've been thinking about getting some more "women specific" gear, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $$$. Happy riding! :)