Best way to strap down the bike.

I use 2 straps per bike a piece of heater hose round the bars where the strap goes, and only pull down enough to keep the bikes where I want them, I've seen some guys almost bottom out their forks tying the bikes down, I try too save my fork seals for the ride.
It does no harm to the fork seals. It doesn't build pressure like that.

I can take the memory out of the springs , but if i'm going to winch mine down, Its only for the ride home, IF i think its going to be any longer i throw in a brace.

I don't worry about springs anymore. I used to. I pull one down hard enough that the strap hooks won't shake loose. I have springs I have been using for over 20 years. They haven't lost 2mm. Most springs live well being compressed 70% of their inbound travel. I got to see a 470 Continental engine with 1400 hours, taken down. It was 48 years old. 6 cylinders. Some of them had to have been at max compression for about a sixth of those 48 years. If you tried to find a difference with your eye or a tape you couldn't. They all passed the compression test, though none were reused. I decided I worried too much.

Wait,,,,are you riding something with a rigid frame? Totegote or Rokon?
408725105.jpg

Turnbuckles and chain keeps the TrailBreaker on the back rack. I don't have any suspension to pre-load, only tire squish. I can't have anything stretch or flex.

Hey, that was why I was asking Kyle. When you fasten something like a loader onto a trailer, some like to drop some tire pressure, winch down. Put on chain binders if they are going to be used and then pressure up again. Knowing how much to put back in is pretty important.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Good stuff.
I also use the ratcheting tie downs. My inferior brain does not trust the single pull type. Hard to drive down the road when I'm constantly looking back at the bikes... I'd rather not think about them. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Good stuff.
I also use the ratcheting tie downs. My inferior brain does not trust the single pull type. Hard to drive down the road when I'm constantly looking back at the bikes... I'd rather not think about them. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Either way the tie downs do the job however with the pull down type... DO NOT leave them in the bed of your truck as the sun will damage the straps causing them NOT to stay tight... they WILL slip...

I know this... :prof:

I think any of these techniques work but I just want to add that I cut off my lower end hooks and replaced them with heavy duty carabiner hooks as I lost a bike on a trailer once when the lower hook came loose from going through dips in the road and the forks compressed a little bit. There is nothing like looking in the side mirrors and seeing your bike spinning around in the lane next to you and a semi truck slamming on his brakes. I also use soft ties to avoid messing up the handlebars. If the bike stays anywhere for a time I am away a nice large cable gets added to the pot with a big lock.

Last edited:
Oh yeah…..I did lose a bike once, some dick cut the tie downs and stole the bike outa the truck right in front of my house…….luckly I got it back 8 days later,the kid went to jail and I got 2200.00 in restitution.

Just a bit of a difference from losing a bike due to faulty straps and losing a bike due to faulty security measures. I had a tie down break once and lost a bike on my way out of the gas station... I did't know it until someone pulled up along side and asked if I HAD 2 bikes on the trailer.... Ahhhh shiiiiiiit :foul:.... :banghead:...

Last edited:
Just a bit of a difference from losing a bike due to faulty straps and losing a bike due to faulty security measures. I had a tie down break once and lost a bike on may out of the gas station... I did't know it until someone pulled up along side and asked if I HAD 2 bikes on the trailer.... Ahhhh shiiiiiiit :foul:.... :banghead:...
Gives one kind of an empty feeling in the gut at the moment.

Gives one kind of an empty feeling in the gut at the moment.

Luckily I had only gone a block and stopped at the light when he pulled up... My truck had a shell on it and was full so I couldn't see out the back window and the only tiome I would see the bikes is when I turned... never expected that to happen. Since then it is ALL i ever think about when tying them down! Even inside my TH...

1.5 straps, beaners on the bottom, soft on the top, single pull, never had a problem, just hauled them 385 one way and 385 back. :thumb:
Shock saver sometimes, but not always. Seals!!!! Haha, seals are not under any load in compression, just the springs and no worry there. :prof: