250F Another 2004 KX250F Project/Build

1st rule of modern 4t mix engines:
If you open it up you have to replace everything period.
Not true. I got a blue '03 250f. Wouldn't start. Gave $400. Pulled it down found hot rods crank/rod no slop. Weisco piston spec gap, crosshatches on jug. solvent test valve seat-check. Buttoned up. cleaned the mossy chunky ethanol crust from the carb. New gaskets. 35 hours and still running strong. Of course, now is the time to decide. Keep- new top end and valvetrain or sell as is. Honestly, I think I'm done with carbs so...

Last edited:
Not true. I got a blue '03 250f. Wouldn't start. Gave $400. Pulled it down found hot rods crank/rod no slop. Weisco piston spec gap, crosshatches on jug. solvent test valve seat-check. Buttoned up. cleaned the mossy chunky ethanol crust from the carb. New gaskets. 35 hours and still running strong. Of course, now is the time to decide. Keep- new top end and valvetrain or sell as is. Honestly, I think I'm done with carbs so...

True more often than not, especially with the other brands. The early yammi motors were great and virtually bulletproof.

It took a while for the others to catch up. I'm almost worried about the new 4 valve design. They fixed something that wasn't broke.

cr500faf swap