250F Another 2004 KX250F Project/Build

Cases would be my 1st choice.
Is that cases, as in plural? That ups the cost considerably.
Duct Tape it!..:ride:
I wish!

I would give JBWeld a whirl
I think that idea was given a shot here just prior to my ownership of it.

Weld, re-tap. Problem is it could be warped after if welder is not very good.
But in the heat that you will have by Tuesday, (120*) a magnified glass and a braizing rod you could do it in the driveway.

I was referred to a local shop that apparently does a lot of this type of work on small-mid size industrial equipment, whom I've done business with before, just never this type of work. They quoted me $85.00/hour to re-weld.

I just heard about our weather forecast today...yep, that again.
I came from the tundra so I like it. Sure beats shivering. I hate that.
But most importantly, it's like Raid is to wasps - it kills the old-folk off quick and drives them back and away.
It's nice to be able to pull into the local supermarket parking lot and have a place to park, and not need to worry so much about getting hit by one of these tourists.

Is that cases, as in plural? That ups the cost considerably.

I wish!

I think that idea was given a shot here just prior to my ownership of it.

I was referred to a local shop that apparently does a lot of this type of work on small-mid size industrial equipment, whom I've done business with before, just never this type of work. They quoted me $85.00/hour to re-weld.

I just heard about our weather forecast today...yep, that again.
I came from the tundra so I like it. Sure beats shivering. I hate that.
But most importantly, it's like Raid is to wasps - it kills the old-folk off quick and drives them back and away.
It's nice to be able to pull into the local supermarket parking lot and have a place to park, and not need to worry so much about getting hit by one of these tourists.

Some cases are matched sets, some are cast so they can be interchanged.

Try the QUICKSTEEL Brad, defo won't warp anything and is super easy to sand/file to match the case, just ensure you pack it well into the hole before you drill and tap it! Trust me you can't go wrong with this stuff!

Just got the quote from the shop to reweld/repair the broken piece in the photo above.
1.50 hours = $137.50.
Thats about $37.50 more than I was hoping he was gonna say it was. It is however about 1/2 what it would cost to purchase a used set.
So what do y'all think?
- pay it
- go without the repair and wipe off the oil every now and again. How vital is that connection really?
- bring it to another shop for another estimate
- buy a used case

Sorry Red, I've just never been a fan of epoxy type fixes for hard parts. Some people have luck.
I have tried in the past without success and have found that I usually end up re-re-fixing things in the end. So now-a-days I just pay the price to do it right the first time. Less headache, and I hate doing things twice.

Last edited:
That one doesn't do very much to start with. Considering what you are going to end up with when you are finished, I think I would just used some yamabond 2 on on the gasket and leave it as is or file it off and polish what is left. Of course our ideas of putting 40 dollar saddles on two dollar horses has come up before.
Yes it has. And I am leaning toward this solution myself.

As it turns out my decision was sort of made for me.
I called the guy back to tell him I was gonna just run it, and he said that his guy already had the job half-done.
So all is well that ends well I guess.
It's gonna be a $95.00 weld and resurface job, but I'm gonna drill and tap the hole.

Just got the quote from the shop to reweld/repair the broken piece in the photo above.
1.50 hours = $137.50.
Thats about $37.50 more than I was hoping he was gonna say it was. It is however about 1/2 what it would cost to purchase a used set.
So what do y'all think?
- pay it
- go without the repair and wipe off the oil every now and again. How vital is that connection really?
- bring it to another shop for another estimate
- buy a used case

Sorry Red, I've just never been a fan of epoxy type fixes for hard parts. Some people have luck.
I have tried in the past without success and have found that I usually end up re-re-fixing things in the end. So now-a-days I just pay the price to do it right the first time. Less headache, and I hate doing things twice.
No worries here bud! Glad you got a fix on it! I'd of went the weld route myself for peace of mind but if you've never tried QUICKSTEEL then stick a tube of it in your toolbox for that random on the spot repair :thumb:

I've never hear of it before Red but I'll check it out, thanks!
It's not like JB weld, it's a little 4" stick of 2 part putty that has a grey ouer and black inner, you knead it between thumb and fingers til it gets hot, (chemical reaction) then shape apply firmly to or wrap round repair area and leave for 30 to harden, it's then as hard as steel and can instantly be drilled and tapped!
You can make it any shape you want while soft so can easily fab a bracket to suit whatever you need!
It's fekin magic stuff:thumb:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gWoGnBJ32N0 RMATV!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uvVvVMnitAM :banana: