A little something I do to relieve stress. (Flight Simulator)

:lol: Seriously? Not even going to comment. :facepalm:

That's the thing, it has a virtual (3D) cockpit that you look around in and majority of the buttons work just like in real life. For example you can hope into a dead (no power) plane and you have to go through the right starting sequence to fire up the engines (it takes more than 2 minutes :P).

The thing with FS X is that you can make it as "arcady" as you want or you can fly it as if it were the real thing.

Here's a video that you can see how the 3D/virtual cockpit looks like (it's a foreign language though).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQR85sAW2pA

Doing an ILS landing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZuB_WX7Vjk

Sorry james, I watched the first one and :noidea: looks like a video game to me. I understand you have to controll the "plane" as if it were real but still just looks like a game to me.

James

Staff member
ehhhhhh i have to second this. I never played video games, and never enjoyed them either. I understand the diffrence 100% but I still don't think you could use the simulator then go out and fly a 747.
Like Trav said, not a multi-engine jet, but I'm (living :smirk:) proof that you can fly a single engine plane with only flight simulator experience.

James

Staff member
Sorry james, I watched the first one and :noidea: looks like a video game to me. I understand you have to controll the "plane" as if it were real but still just looks like a game to me.
:lol: That's because it's a simulation, the only way that it wouldn't look like a "game" is to go fly the real thing. Do you think that NASA or the Air Force puts their pilots out in the real thing right away? Hell no, they go through countless hours of flight sims.

its kinda like a school book. if you use it correctly it will teach you how to do it but jsut like anything you need real world experience as well.

If you look at it as a game and just flip your 747 then thats all your gonna get out of it. If you pay attention and use it as a learning tool thats what you will get out of it.

You must not have seen what the Airbus A380's fly with in real life, :shocked: a joystick. :smirk:
View attachment 4297:

:thinking: what are those things down on the floor? :confused: isn't those some kind of foot controlled rutter system or something? Why are there two seats and two sets of controllers here? and why on earth do they pay to have all those other guys in the cockpit if only one guy can fly the plain. Hell I am pissed now. NO wonder it cost so much for plain tickets. Shit man they are paying all those guys for nothing. I am going to make some calls and get this crap straightened out. Yall can thank me later when plain tickets go down by 3/4 :smirk:

James

Staff member
BTW JAX how big (file size) are your typical games? MS Flight Simulator was released back in 2006 and it requires 14gb, the expansion pack add another 5gb.

Why not go download the demo and let us know what you think? It's a cut down version as having to download 14 gigs would suck major donkey butt. :lol:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorx/downloads.html#trial

James, Do you have the MS X air racing add on? If so what did you (do you) think?
That's part of the acceleration pack right? I think I did fly it a few times, pretty insane even in a sim.

not a 747 but a sesna you definitly could.

ohh and BTW you do know that the fuck sticks that did 911 also used the MS FS game?
I could believe it, appearantly it did't work out real well since they crashed the plane :prof:
Like Trav said, not a multi-engine jet, but I'm (living :smirk:) proof that you can fly a single engine plane with only flight simulator experience.

They are almost like gliders, very cool to fly small planes. They don't take a huge amount of skill and if your serious about it you can buy one of your own.

:lol: That's because it's a simulation, the only way that it wouldn't look like a "game" is to go fly the real thing. Do you think that NASA or the Air Force puts their pilots out in the real thing right away? Hell no, they go through countless hours of flight sims.

I can see the ones the army, airforce have, being called simulators as I stated before, ones that move and reacts and you are in a cockpit and have all the real buttons and floor controls and someone at out side contols throw different situations at you and all that but just a "fancy" joy stick and screen, nah nope not cutting for me.

I could believe it, appearantly it did't work out real well since they crashed the plane :prof:

uhhh they crashed the planes exactly how they wanted... in fact the one that hit the pentagon, experts said it would take a good pilot to make the maneuver they did.

granted i to doubt that anyone could fly a 747 properly with JUST this sim experience. you still need real life experience as well and those jerk offs that flew into the buildings did have real life experience as well.

I can see the ones the army, airforce have, being called simulators as I stated before, ones that move and reacts and you are in a cockpit and have all the real buttons and floor controls and someone at out side contols throw different situations at you and all that but just a "fancy" joy stick and screen, nah nope not cutting for me.
believe what you want but you have never tried it. People do learn a lot from their PC's at home. That is a fact not a opinion.

James

Staff member
its kinda like a school book. if you use it correctly it will teach you how to do it but jsut like anything you need real world experience as well.

If you look at it as a game and just flip your 747 then thats all your gonna get out of it. If you pay attention and use it as a learning tool thats what you will get out of it.
:lol: Yup, that would be like me and my bro. He went and flipped 747's, while I scoured the internet on how to fly VOR, how ILS works, etc.
:thinking: what are those things down on the floor? :confused: isn't those some kind of foot controlled rutter system or something? Why are there two seats and two sets of controllers here? and why on earth do they pay to have all those other guys in the cockpit if only one guy can fly the plain. Hell I am pissed now. NO wonder it cost so much for plain tickets. Shit man they are paying all those guys for nothing. I am going to make some calls and get this crap straightened out. Yall can thank me later when plain tickets go down by 3/4 :smirk:
Those things on the floor are the rudder pedals and right above them is generally where the brakes are.

:lol: I pray that you aren't on a plane with only one pilot and he has a stroke or something. :shocked:

No on those bigger planes it's almost a 2 man job (sometimes 3) to fly, usually one guy flies while the other navigates and manages the radios.

James

Staff member
The software and the controls in the virtual cockpit are still the same.

This guys are all using FSX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFNn6hvhuMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYrXWf1WCxE

believe what you want but you have never tried it. People do learn a lot from their PC's at home. That is a fact not a opinion.

not once did I say I never tried it. I have tried simulators before, I said it was like a game to me and I WILL believe what I want, it was simply a matter of my opinion to begin with, I am pretty damn sure I have a right to my opinion :thumb: