A little something I do to relieve stress. (Flight Simulator)

James

Staff member
not once did I say I never tried it. I have tried simulators before, I said it was like a game to me and I WILL believe what I want, it was simply a matter of my opinion to begin with, I am pretty damn sure I have a right to my opinion :thumb:
:thumb: Everyone IS entitled to an opinion, however I think where we got off on the wrong foot is when you (intentional or otherwise) made it sound like a little sissy game. :lol:

You sound more like the type that has the plane sitting on the runway ready to go. :noidea: Me I'm like these guys. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTisjE-g06g

:thumb: Everyone IS entitled to an opinion, however I think where we got off on the wrong foot is when you (intentional or otherwise) made it sound like a little sissy game. :lol:

You sound more like the type that has the plane sitting on the runway ready to go. :noidea: Me I'm like these guys. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTisjE-g06g

No, not otherwise, it was intentional but not to the sissy part, just the game part. :thumb:

and no, I am not the type for any of them. I am just not a gamer, sorry simulator. I just messing with you to begin with I mean it's not like anyone ever messes with anyone around here. :rolleyes:

James

Staff member
No, not otherwise, it was intentional but not to the sissy part, just the game part. :thumb:

and no, I am not the type for any of them. I am just not a gamer, sorry simulator. I just messing with you to begin with I mean it's not like anyone ever messes with anyone around here. :rolleyes:
I took it personal. :smirk:

I feel soooo offended you refered to me as a "gamer". I am a SIMULATOR MASTER! And no, I don't live off mt.Dew an cheetos, I drink Pepsi max and eat banana crisps :moon:

:lol::lol::lol:

I play a flight sim of a different sort :thinking: :devil:
il2fb2009-09-2821-35-44-56.jpg

untitled.jpg

a couple of my finer moments (when I was actually playing it was cockpit only)
my grandfather flew these bad boys during WWII
I generally run black paint schemes that I make myself.
1510201020-23-36.jpg

1510201020-18-45.jpg

never send a squadron to do the work of or4m :prof:
il2fb2010-03-0320-56-57-73.jpg

il2fb2010-03-1410-52-12-72.jpg

you can fly the bombers too, this was the result of bringing in a damaged b-17
il2fb2010-01-0120-39-45-92.jpg

il2fb2010-01-0120-39-50-55.jpg

I think I was fixing to get my ass kicked in this picture
il2fb2010-02-1411-36-25-97.jpg

This thread moved from relieving stress to more stress with all you pickering over game or simulator. When I ride, I am a simulator!:prof:

James

Staff member
This thread moved from relieving stress to more stress with all you pickering over game or simulator. When I ride, I am a simulator!:prof:
Yeah no crap, :noidea: it's like arguing with two year olds, there's just no reasoning. :lol:
its a flight sim, just isn't nearly as complicated as fsx
I like blowing stuff up :smirk:
:lol: I'd actually have to side with JAX on this one.

Hell this was the whole point I was trying to make, you have flight sims/games (HAWX, Ace Combat, IL-2 Sturmovik, etc) and then flight simulators (Microsoft Flight Simulator series). The "games" don't really correlate with the real world and are more mission driven (go blow this up and move on to the next mission). You generally have on screen navigation (arrows), very limited area to fly in, and the aircraft aren't modeled to their real world counterparts.

Now Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FS X), like Trav said, is actually the software behind majority of the full cockpit setups. Heck I even used it back in school for flight training. Plus the DOD has even released a study that said pilots that play flight sim "games" (:P) like FS X, learn quicker and are overall better pilots (can't find the link right now. :bonk:). This is all thanks to how accurate FS X actually is. Heck I could go grab VOR, ILS, Com frequencies and airport maps out of FS X and use it in the real world (not recommended though as FS X isn't always up to date. :P) Plus the flight dynamics are pretty much the same as in real life, you just don't get the feel on your body (turbulence). But then again the full cockpit setups don't either.

Another cool thing about FS X is the weather and failure systems. The weather system is just insane in how realistic it is. Plus you can actually have it download the current real world weather and have it keep updating in real time as you're flying. The failure system is perfect for practice if you're an actual pilot. You can set it to have pretty much everything on an aircraft fail. For example you can set it to have between 1-4 engines fail within 0-75 minutes in your flight. And at the same time have either your GPS, radios, or landing gear fail within 10 min - 2 hours.

The in game ATC is also fairly accurate and they'll hound you if you don't do something right (off course, descent rate, etc). Plus you have other aircraft/pilots flying and they're also talking to ATC, which means you actually have to pay attention for your calls (IFR only).

I don't have any onscreen arrows.
I have to keep track of how long I've been wheels up, how long I've flown my heading at what speed, keep an eye on the terrain and compare it to what I remember from the briefing map.

if you don't feel the planes are modeled to real world physics,well the only thing I can say is buy the game and come fly with me in an open server.
I will say this, the russian game designers took the bricks that were in the real russian planes and left them in the american planes.

That's part of the acceleration pack right? I think I did fly it a few times, pretty insane even in a sim.

It depends. Sometimes you can get it with main program. Sometimes you have to buy it extra. And yes it is very insane. I had opportunity to play it for a few hours on a 60 in HD LCD screen. Holy crap was it awesome. The only thing better would be to do the real thing in my opinion.