2 Stroke 94rm80 bogs/stalls 4th 5th gear

Any chance to make one outta old clutch disks? Though I snapped the basket in half last night trying to hold it with a screwdriver, fucked and unusable anyway. Figured it would snap.

That damned gear on their tight no budge at all.

Sure it isn't backward threaded?

I got a feeling though if I do actually manage somehow to get a new basket and that tool it'll break the basket anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah I already found those, not the issue, taking out that primary gear even with that tool without breaking the new basket is.

BTW, the brass colored side of the seal is supposed to face outward right? I just checked the seAl in the bike over again, and the backside of the seal with lip and the metal spring looking part inside is facing out.

Attachments

• DSC06030_large.jpg
    DSC06030_large.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
With the tool, there is no chance of breaking anything. It uses all the faces of the basket, simultaneously.
Yes, the RH crank seal is installed with the spring outward, basically keeping the trans fluid away from the crank bearing. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Wish I could afford to do this the right way,

Trying now to bolt a small stack of old friction plates to a steel flat piece for a handle. Small chance of success?

May as well ask here, I'm guessing by looking that just about any year clutch basket from 85-00 should be compatible, but just need somewhere to double check in case the gearing is different Or something, they all look the same.

By the way, friction plates snapped.

May as well ask here, I'm guessing by looking that just about any year clutch basket from 85-00 should be compatible, but just need somewhere to double check in case the gearing is different Or something, they all look the same.

By the way, friction plates snapped.

The steel plates snapped? Damn.

Well here is a picture of the primary gear on this thing is there some special procedure for removing this thing or just put a socket on it and turn? Somebody with a manual for 1994 RM 80 confirm again that this thing is standard threading? It just won't budge. Picture attached.

Got the stator plate off today as well had to grind the screws heads off, pulled the flywheel /magneto off or whatever it is, put a flywheel puller on it and cranked the primary gear with socket hoping it would loosen, didn't budge but eventually pulled flywheel off. Picture of ignition side seal attached, I just pop a screw in there and pull it out? Bottom right corner is slightly out already, maybe part of the original problem?

The ignition side seal is currently in with spring side inwards, is that correct direction?

PS wish I had 30 bucks left for a manual, would love to get one but last few bucks went to a new clutch basket.

Thanks for all the good info.

Attachments

• IMG_20170110_201348.jpg
    IMG_20170110_201348.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20170110_201408.jpg
    IMG_20170110_201408.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 4
Well changed ignition side seal, it came out no problem, bottom right half was already partially out, the thing popped right out. Put new seal in with metal brass looking side out and spring side in, used a deep socket and pounded it in flush with outside of crank case, really hope I did it right, put magneto back on and hit with socket to get it all the way on.

Now how the hell does that primary gear come off? It's got that slot on the front that looks like a big as flat head goes in it.

SRAD97750

Staff member
You've already buggered the basket right? I'd put a penny or a rolled up piece of paper in the teeth between the crank and basket gear. Then get a good socket and a LONG cheater bar on the crank gear nut and slowly apply heavy pressure until either the nut breaks free or teeth break and it jams even better. Lefty loosey, righty tighty. For sure.
Worst case scenario here is damaging the crank gear teeth. -BIG DAN:thumb: