Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Rotella T6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was actually talking to a Team Green guy today... 40 yr engine builder etc etc...
currently involved in some offroad stuff for Baja and moonlighting building bombs for a Zook dealership..... I called him to get some 1 off zook parts and started telling him about Hollywoods RMZ and stuff... I also told him I was gonna run Rotella in it and he damn near reached through the phone and smacked me... then he started yelling at me about mesh factors and sheer continuity and stuff... in a nutshell he told me I was insane for not running motorcycle specific tranny rated engine oil.... so I'm not using Rotella in the boys bike..... I gave me a few choice brands to use... but stressed I should be using synthetics in a MX bike with a combined tranny and crankcase.
:stirthepot:
what brands were those?
Curiousity is all

Let me try my hand at the :stirthepot:

Hey Mihylo33, did you know that the Rotella is JASO MA rated like the others? Yes the JASO MA rating is the one for motorcycle specific transmissions and clutches.

Yes sir... I know.... I got my wiener smacked for even mentioning its use.... :noidea: I use it in my TTR.... It supposedly doesnt meet the sheer requirements needed for a motorcycle tranny...

Did you know Diesel motors have a highpressure oil pump seperate from the standard oil pump that needs a JASO MA rating?

2 very different engines requiring 2 very different oils.....

and not to point or be a nay sayer as I find everyones opinion of value... do we believe a the guy that builds 10+ race motors a week or the guy that rides the KLR250 to work.... I don't think either is wrong based on their conditions...

Shell went out of their way to get the JASO MA rating because of the off label use of the oil in the motorcycle world. Recently they must have decided that the $$$ for the rating would be made back. Purely a business decision and I really doubt that they made any changes to the formulation to get it.

If I remember correctly one of the JASO MA ratings is a high temp sheer rating. You know the shear that happens in a motorcycle transmission.

I had a long drawn out debate with a racer that carried across a couple of different forums. He was dead set about the MC oil thing like you referenced with the engine builder. He sort of relented and did agree on one point. The machine is an important component to winning, but so is the riders mental state. Saving a few $$$ is not worth the possible tiny amount of doubt that could be in the back of the riders mind. You don't want any possibility of worrying about the oil to interfere. In that case I'd call it money well spent.

I'm not some oil evangelical. I have Rotella in the transmission and a high end ester synthetic in the engine side of my new Beta.

James

Staff member
Last night I cracked open the last of 6 gallon jugs I got awhile ago. :ride: That $140 I saved over using Belray oil is pretty sweet. :P

Switching to a Stainless Steel oil filter has also saved some extra squish. :rocker:

I know there are lots of people who run automotive oils in their motorcycles but ..... there are additives put into the Motorcycle oils called sheer additives. Autos do not go through a transmission or wet clutch.....these literally grind up the oil breaking it down in only a few hours of riding.

I like Golden Spectro oil.

I run honda pro GN4 10w-40 in the engine side and honda pro transmission oil in the tranny side. I change the engine oil about every 3 rides and the filter/tranny oil every other time. I have to change it alot because the oil gets too thined out from the fuel getting into it. hey and since we are talking about oil, what do you guys do what the used oil after you drain it?