Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Rotella T6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That's what I said and his reply was it doesn't meet the requirements for the trans on race bikes. I heard the same thing before but I used the oil anyway in my TTR.... I imagine it's good for the big street bikes as there gears bath in oil and ours kinda just pull the oil through. :no idea:
I bet he would have a meltdown if heard that I have used ATF, motor oil and gear oil, in the past 2 years in my transmission

i wouldn't be scared to use ATF in a bike trannie, its gears, clutch fibers and bearings...the last transmission I took apart guess what was inside it???

James

Staff member
That's what I said and his reply was it doesn't meet the requirements for the trans on race bikes. I heard the same thing before but I used the oil anyway in my TTR.... I imagine it's good for the big street bikes as there gears bath in oil and ours kinda just pull the oil through. :no idea:
I'm guessing he just has a hard time getting over the mental aspic of not using a motorcycle specific oil. Took me awhile to get the courage to use it. :lol: At first I'd change it every 2-3 hours, but now I'm getting closer to 5 as it pretty much looks the same going in as out. The thing that really gets me is how much cheaper it is, heck I bought 6 gallons for ~$60. That's under $3 a quart! :shocked:

the way I look at it is, if it can take the abuse of a Diesel engine for 5k miles it can take the abuse of 5-10 hrs in a little motocycle engine :thumb:
they are 2 entirely different worlds, a diesel is a very low rpm engine, and most don't run as hot as a modern 4 stroke does

they are 2 entirely different worlds, a diesel is a very low rpm engine, and most don't run as hot as a modern 4 stroke does

still 5k miles vs. 5 hrs is a little bit of difference, and I am sure I don't need to inform you but diesel engines run of HEAT and combustion unlike a normally asperaited engine that needs to disapate the heat much more.

still 5k miles vs. 5 hrs is a little bit of difference, and I am sure I don't need to inform you but diesel engines run of HEAT and combustion unlike a normally asperaited engine that needs to disapate the heat much more.
and unlike a dirt bike, the engine oil doesn't have to do with the transmission, clutch, and engine, which in your 2 stroke it's not responsible for the latter (which I know you are well aware of)

I ran rotella t in my bike once, and didn't like the clutch feel. I now run a full synthetic, and at least to me the clutch and transmission feel much smoother. My manual doesn't even list a dino oil under suggested oils, it wants you to run a semi or full synthetic....

I run rotella in everything else though, in my amigo I run the t6 synthetic, and all the diesel engines save for my dad's 6.0 (which gets its oil changed by ford) gets the standard 15w40.

it won't let me edit anymore :pout:

I'm not by any stretch saying the guys running rotella are magically going to have their bikes shoot the head off through the frame, gas tank, while suffering transmission and crank seizure. For the most part, as long as the oil is changed and their is enough of it, you're going to be a-ok. I run a synthetic for the manual reason and longer drain intervals. The particular stuff I use, was run in a bike that did the baja 500, after the 500 they had it tested, it was still very very servicable...

Mobil_1_Racing_4T_10W40_Motor_Oil_detail.jpg

I'm using a semi synthetic motorcycle oil, both Castrol or Shell in the 4strokes and semi synthetic in the 2strokes as well. I have a heap of oil here and it seems they are no longer doing oil in a semi synthetic :( or they are just not mentioning it. The Diesel Enfield gets Castrol RX Super ..... pmsl :lol:. Every single bike gets an oil change between 1000 and 2000klms, depends on the usage, never having a problem.

Engine oil for motor vehicles contain friction modifiers that will not go down to well with your clutch, some 4strokes have separate oil for the transmission/clutch and then a separate oil supply for the engine, thinking honda CRF?? here along with some others.

Even though many like full synthetic, when sponsored by Castrol many years ago I had free choice, going for the synthetic, but then played around a bit to find synthetic fortified mineral oil protected the bottom end of the 2stroke better along with some other things including oil consumption. Then there was the speedway solo's, just Castrol M which was a castor based oil, never put that stuff in a 4stroke dirt bike either, there is a version for 2stroke go cart engines that work well, but will stuff an engine not meant to be run on a castor based oil.

A :wink:

the way I look at it is, if it can take the abuse of a Diesel engine for 5k miles it can take the abuse of 5-10 hrs in a little motocycle engine :thumb:

5k miles? Um no. Most big rigs have a change interval that is usually 15k or 20k miles, I've even heard of 50k miles. Now most big rigs have at least 10 gallons of oil in them.

The only thing lacking in Rotella and any other current automotive oil is the ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate) which started going away with the SJ rating and is almost eliminated with the current SM rated oils. If you look at most motorcycle specific oils you will see that they are still using the obsolete SG rating. If you are concerned you can buy ZPPD additives.