Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Rotella T6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I run rotella in everything else though, in my amigo I run the t6 synthetic, and all the diesel engines save for my dad's 6.0 (which gets its oil changed by ford) gets the standard 15w40.
At costco, 15w-40 runs $25 for 24 quarts, we run it on all our vehicles,save the 64 dautsun and the boat which get a single weight oil. (also $25 for 24 quarts at costco)

5k miles? Um no. Most big rigs have a change interval that is usually 15k or 20k miles, I've even heard of 50k miles. Now most big rigs have at least 10 gallons of oil in them.

The only thing lacking in Rotella and any other current automotive oil is the ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate) which started going away with the SJ rating and is almost eliminated with the current SM rated oils. If you look at most motorcycle specific oils you will see that they are still using the obsolete SG rating. If you are concerned you can buy ZPPD additives.

Oh sorry, I was refering to your daily driver diesels like mine, and yes I change it every 5k:thumb: I don't imagine any "big rig" changing his oil every 5k or he would be changing his oil more than driving :prof:

I run the T6 5w40 in my 6.0 ever since Ohio ride at crow.... I like it and I change my oil every 10k. Ive been changing it every 10k since the truck was new.

a shop is going to point you to the most expensive stuff on their shelf without giving you any info as to why
Haha then not a very professional shop I went to dgy in il and asked him what I should use he told me very indepth why I should use the product and it wasn't even that expensive

James

Staff member
Yea but a shop will tell you better people on forums will most likely give u their opinion
Haha then not a very professional shop I went to dgy in il and asked him what I should use he told me very indepth why I should use the product and it wasn't even that expensive
Then you are one of the lucky ones, as I've yet to find a shop like that. No shop will show/tell you have to work on your own bike as it's not in their best interest. Same goes for parts, never found a shop that carries or recommends Rotella T oil, even though it works just find and is ridiculously cheaper. Why? Because all that cuts into their bottom line (income/revenue).

I use MotorX 10/50 in my bike, not sure why because it is expensive but that is what is recommended. I will be changing the oil this weekend as it is close to 10 hours. I change the filter every other time.