125 2001 YZ125

Next question;
Went to the track today with this bike. Front tire felt like it just wanted to wash out in the corners. When I first got there I had forgotten to drop the pressure down, so I was hoping that would help as it seems to have in the past, so I put it to 13.5, then when that didn't seem to help, I put it to 11.5. Still didn't seem to help and it eventually washed out in one of the turns.
The tire is a brand new Dunlop Geomax MX51F.
Is this a shit tire? Or is it my suspension setup, which there is none.
This is the first time I've ridden this bike, and its not mine its my kids so I'm not gonna change too much unless we do it for him, but I dont wanna put him on it like this and see him get hurt.
???

Last edited:
Dial in the sag, static and rider and put the clickers in the middle. I know we had the forks in the clamp discussion before, I like mine about 10mm above the clamp, but it’s rider preference. 10 seems to give me a good balance between high speed stability and cornering.
No matter what I do I still suck at turning right. Not sure why that is. On my sport bike too. Chicken strip is twice as wide on the right. :noidea:

I figured as much. Probably a little of everything.
The forks are fresh rebuilt and at the normal settings. I did turn in the top clickers 2 clicks today, but felt bad about doing that since its not my bike.
Add to that the last time I went to the track it was a respectable temp in April, and I was on a 4-stroke 400.
But I rode well (on a 100lb lighter bike) and that lay-over, while at a moderate speed, was one of my more graceful ones, so I didn't hurt myself or the bike.
My left turns are definitely not as good as my rights.
I might go back tomorrow, I had been waiting 6 months for this day, and had a bunch of fun.
Right now I'm assembling the kxf250, and I got the yz250 cylinder replate back with piston, so plenty to do...

Next question;
Went to the track today with this bike. Front tire felt like it just wanted to wash out in the corners. When I first got there I had forgotten to drop the pressure down, so I was hoping that would help as it seems to have in the past, so I put it to 13.5, then when that didn't seem to help, I put it to 11.5. Still didn't seem to help and it eventually washed out in one of the turns.
The tire is a brand new Dunlop Geomax MX51F.
Is this a shit tire? Or is it my suspension setup, which there is none.
This is the first time I've ridden this bike, and its not mine its my kids so I'm not gonna change too much unless we do it for him, but I dont wanna put him on it like this and see him get hurt.
???

Around 11lbs is good. A little more a little less dependent on the conditions. What were the track conditions? If it’s a dry hard pack then most anything will wash. If it’s a powder then nothing will stick. If it’s a a loamy moist soil then that’s where the mx51 shines. If you are going to ride a firm hardpack with plenty of blue groove then start looking at Bridgestone tires. Just my 2 cents.

It was mid-range. Had some dry hard spots, but then some loamy soft spots. Where I went over was very forgiving. No pain.
Its gotta be rider error/conditions. I heard this was a decent tire which was why I bought it, but it just didn't feel like I was getting enough side-bite.
It's probably me. I'm a rookie. And old, but still trying to feel young.

I'm gonna make it to work on Monday, which is what I pray for when I show up at the track.

Now that my YZ250 is up and screaming, I dont have to share my kids YZ125 anymore.
Since we're going to the track tomorrow (been waiting for this day for 6 months) I thought we should set up his suspension for him only, and tonight I measured his sag, and its approx 127.175mm. He's 120 lbs, and that is not anywhere near the 90-100mm spec.
Is this too far out of range to the point where he needs a different spring?
If not, do I compress the spring (spin it in) to get within range?

I know there's tons of vids out there about this, but I know you guys live for this shit so I figured I'd ask here first.

SRAD97750

Staff member
You can adjust the spring tighter until just before the static (free) sag is too tight. Theoretically until just before the weight of the bike, by itself, no longer compresses the shock anymore.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Thanks for the quick responses.
@BigDan - your reply was spot on I'm sure, but is Greek to me.
@Mihylo - I have no idea what spring is in it, but I assume stock. I will say that he just rode it around the block and told me "I love this bike!" It's still kinda new to him.

So spin the spring tighter until he's in range? Check then recheck?
About how many rotations do you think it will take?

I'll be setting my own sag on the 250 as soon as we get him dialed.

Well that was a shit-show.
Glad I determined this before I tried to adjust my bike! Poor kid though...
But I'm a run what you brung kinda guy, and I think he's is too.
Or, he better be, cuz I have no idea what I did to his suspension tonight. Couldn't get it.
Its the conversions I get wrong. 600mm to 4"3/8 to 4.375...and then back...on the pc...minus 123mm which is...............................
Or just...

I'm gonna have to buy another toolbox dedicated to dirtbike tools here pretty soon.

Edit/ dedicated to metric tools

Last edited:
Well that was a shit-show.
Glad I determined this before I tried to adjust my bike! Poor kid though...
But I'm a run what you brung kinda guy, and I think he's is too.
Or, he better be, cuz I have no idea what I did to his suspension tonight. Couldn't get it.
Its the conversions I get wrong. 600mm to 4"3/8 to 4.375...and then back...on the pc...minus 123mm which is...............................
Or just...

I'm gonna have to buy another toolbox dedicated to dirtbike tools here pretty soon.

I’m confused.

Multiply millimeters by .03937 to get inches.
Multiply inches by 25.4 to get millimeters.
I think it’s best if you don’t have to tighten the spring too much to get the sag correct. The shock works better if the full range of the spring is used and not compressed excessively to bring in the sag. If the spring is right, not much preload is needed to get the sag at the right height.

I think its probably better, but I'll have to start over to be sure. I prolly screwed the adjuster ring in 3 times or so. I couldn't get it to come anywhere near spec. But too much math. I'm just gonna order a metric tape measure and be done with it.
Didn't matter too much anyway cuz he broke the frigging brand new shift lever after about 45 minutes at the track today. Stripped the shit right outta it, again. So he sat in the truck while I rode and got familiar with the YZ250 again. What an awesome bike.