125 2001 YZ125

SRAD97750

Staff member
When dropped into 1st it barely makes the bike move, like walking speed is all it will do.
Not to be too simple, but this is exactly what would happen if the clutch was adjusted improperly and not able to fully release the clutch springs. Either cable, or mechanical rod inside. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Not to be too simple, but this is exactly what would happen if the clutch was adjusted improperly and not able to fully release the clutch springs. Either cable, or mechanical rod inside. -BIG DAN:thumb:
Thanks for that Big Dan. Its difficult to diagnose when I'm not the rider as I have no idea what happened in its last moments of riding. But it was fine, right up until it wasn't. So thats puzzling...

C'mon now Mike, I'm a professional, the fridge is rarely out of beer.
When dropped into 1st it barely makes the bike move, like walking speed is all it will do. No other gear changes help. Clutch lever pull felt normal, wasn't squishy or anything. It just doesn't go.

Friction plates are all within spec and dont smell burnt.

Sounds like it’s time to split the cases. Start checking for busted primaries.

Thanks for that Big Dan. Its difficult to diagnose when I'm not the rider as I have no idea what happened in its last moments of riding. But it was fine, right up until it wasn't. So thats puzzling...

It might have broken right before the crash and that’s why he did crash. Just saying. If it were me I would start pulling apart the clutch side to see if there’s an issue there. Then I would pull the motor and split the cases if I didn’t find anything.

I think the case internals are probably fine. Since I pulled the clutch cover I ran it through the gears, and it appears to go through them all okay. Plus, it only has like maybe 5-6 hours on since the last time I split the cases, and I couldn't have fucked it up since A: it ran for 5-6 hours, and B: I did everything that y'all told me...you guys are never wrong, right?

I think the case internals are probably fine. Since I pulled the clutch cover I ran it through the gears, and it appears to go through them all okay. Plus, it only has like maybe 5-6 hours on since the last time I split the cases, and I couldn't have fucked it up since A: it ran for 5-6 hours, and B: I did everything that y'all told me...you guys are never wrong, right?

Does it pull strong in 2nd or is it more of the same?

2nd gear doesn't make the bike go either. The problem is throughout all the gears, global.
Would a worn outer basket cause this?
I seem to remember filing the chatter marks smooth.

2nd gear doesn't make the bike go either. The problem is throughout all the gears, global.
Would a worn outer basket cause this?
I seem to remember filing the chatter marks smooth.
NO, either plates are done, pressure plate is done, or the cable is to tight. Have you checked to make sure the cable housing is not riding on the perch, or popped out of the bottom on case

Not yet. Gonna go mess with it now.
I was thinking that the cable was good cuz it feels normal when I pull the lever.
How does the pressure plate go bad? That thing ain't cheap.
20181019_151855.jpg

Last edited: