2 Stroke 1998 CR80R

I thought of that, but I haven't even looked at the bike yet.
I feel like I should at least show up first, and then show some cash and make an offer.
Some guys are open to lowball offers over text messages, which I have used in the past to get me off the couch (and I state that up-front) but he doesn't seem to be like that. We've been texting for 2-3 days now, so he knows I'm interested...
You are 2 interested. Guy with the CRF emailed me back after a few days and I said, "well I only have 1200 cash right now, so I don't want to waste your time." He said, "It needs tires, if you thro in another 200, I'll put tires on it, or I'll let you have it for 1200. So I went, looked at it, gave him 1200.

You can do both on the YZ250. I agree on the fly wheel weight, but are you riding in the trees? I rode mine in the dez mainly and ran a 14/46 gearing. When on the track or trees, I put the 50 back on.

Now I am a bike whore and just have bikes for everything....:smirk:

I don't have a FW. I just ride.

I think you're just a whore in general especially when you wear Cowboy boots.
:stirthepot:

Went trail-riding with the bambino today and he laid the bike over on its left side. When I turned back to see what happened the bike was still running, rear tire spinning. There is a big scratch in the engine cover where the shift arm is.
Now it wont shift into anything but 1st and 2nd gear.
Anybody have this happen to them or seen this before?

Last edited:
Went trail-riding with the bambino today and he laid the bike over on its left side. When I turned back to see what happened the bike was still running, rear tire spinning. There is a big scratch in the engine cover where the shift arm is.
Now it wont shift into anything but 1st and 2nd gear.
Anybody have this happen to them or seen this before?

Bent shift lever.

I wish that were the case, but it's not.

Pics please.
Usually it gets bent enough and pushed enough to not be able to engage taller gears. He would have to hit pretty hard to bust that shaft and anything associated with it. By hard I mean a train would have to run it over.

Yeah he didn't hit that hard, it was a low speed crash.
The shift lever/arm is good, doesn't hit the cover. Not sure if the scratch was there before or not, but could've been with all the shit he runs into.
I'll see if I can get the right side cover removed this weekend and get some pics of the inside. I'm hoping it's something there and not deeper, like a shift fork...

It could be that the shift shaft was hit hard enough to dislodge the arm or spring on the clutch side of the engine. You will have to remove that cover and the clutch basket to get to it.

Paw Paw

I finally got the cover off this thing and check it out-
Water pump drive gear sheared a tooth, it fell down underneath the drum stopper roller (see arrow in photo) and wouldn't allow it to fully disengage. When I pulled the lever out the gear tooth chunk was stuck underneath the roller in the corner, just enough to keep the drum from fully locking into position.
At least thats what I'm assuming is the problem, we'll see what happens when I get it back together.
Easy fix, except they want $50.00 for that #$@&^!@#$%^ thing!
100_3113r.JPG 100_3115r.JPG

Last edited:
WTF?!?!?!
After I got the new gear installed I went to start it up and test run it. I hopped on, gave it a kick, and 1/4 way through the kick it went CRUNCH!
So I pulled it back apart and removed the kick spindle to find that the starter ratchet had made contact with the case and now there is a hole there. How the hell does this happen? I didn't assemble it wrong I dont think, and there is no washer or anything that is missing that would keep the ratchet away from the case.
And now what about that hole?
100_3134r.JPG

SRAD97750

Staff member
WTF?!?!?!
After I got the new gear installed I went to start it up and test run it. I hopped on, gave it a kick, and 1/4 way through the kick it went CRUNCH!
So I pulled it back apart and removed the kick spindle to find that the starter ratchet had made contact with the case and now there is a hole there. How the hell does this happen? I didn't assemble it wrong I dont think, and there is no washer or anything that is missing that would keep the ratchet away from the case.
And now what about that hole?
View attachment 31222
The hole is fine, doesn't hurt anything.
I don't know how you assembled your kickstarter, but that style is typically like below.
You have to deal with my mouth breathing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFmhCuK0EPw
-BIG DAN:thumb: