2 Stroke 1998 CR80R

Went riding 2 weekends ago with the bambino. He fouled 2 plugs in 4 hours, spooge everywhere, said it still sputtered at off-idle to mid-range.
Were going riding again this weekend.
Pulled the carb off and checked the float. I thought I had it set at factory spec of 19mm, but it looked like it was at 18mm.
Is 1mm difference enough to produce these symptoms?
I set it at 19 and took it for a rip.
Seems to go pretty good, but I didn't hit the pipe much, residential asphalt, and I've already crashed 2 bikes out in my street so I didn't get on it.

Enough to make it sputter. 3rd times the charm I always say. :smirk:
It's an 85 so it only produces power at 22,000 rpm. Still running yamalube?

Enough to make it sputter. 3rd times the charm I always say. :smirk:
It's an 85 so it only produces power at 22,000 rpm. Still running yamalube?
Still running yamalube?
NO 3RD TIME!!!
I think what's in the tank right now is Yamalube, with 1.5 - 2.0 gallons of it left (desert tank).
But I just filled the fuel jug up with 4 gallons of 100 lo-lead avgas, and 1 gallon 91 octane at the pump, and am trying out a new 2T oil, Belray mineral.
I change too many things at one time.

Went riding 2 weekends ago with the bambino. He fouled 2 plugs in 4 hours, spooge everywhere, said it still sputtered at off-idle to mid-range.
Were going riding again this weekend.
Pulled the carb off and checked the float. I thought I had it set at factory spec of 19mm, but it looked like it was at 18mm.
Is 1mm difference enough to produce these symptoms?
I set it at 19 and took it for a rip.
Seems to go pretty good, but I didn't hit the pipe much, residential asphalt, and I've already crashed 2 bikes out in my street so I didn't get on it.

It may help, if you still have an issue at off idle into the mid, I'd probably drop the needle (raise the clip)one position. By the way this is all being said assuming you have allready cleaned the carb well.

NO 3RD TIME!!!
I think what's in the tank right now is Yamalube, with 1.5 - 2.0 gallons of it left (desert tank).
But I just filled the fuel jug up with 4 gallons of 100 lo-lead avgas, and 1 gallon 91 octane at the pump, and am trying out a new 2T oil, Belray mineral.
I change too many things at one time.

Yeah change too much at one time.
Too many variables to compensate for.
The 100ll will make it run slightly richer not enough to re jet but enough to notice silencer drool. The lead also helps keep it a little cooler and that alone with the mineral oil is enough to keep it gargling.

Pick 1 oil and stick to it. Even though it's from NJ I would get rid of the Belray and use the yamalube. It's better for what you do. The mineral oil is for the guy trying to be the next RC that keeps the bike at maximum rpm 99.9% of the time.

We went out with hopes of riding for 4-5 hours, but after 2 hours the neighbor kid we went with didn't take a look at the back-side of a jump before he hit it and he crashed his RM80 hard, so that was the end of that.
The CR ran pretty good though. Definitely better.
I changed the way I set the float, as in which direction I look at it from. I was looking at it from the side view, but I saw a photo in the manual that was looking at it from the float valve side and I tried that. It seems to be the better method.
Too bad its getting fargin hot here, were about to park the bikes for the summer and start hiding from the sun.

We went out with hopes of riding for 4-5 hours, but after 2 hours the neighbor kid we went with didn't take a look at the back-side of a jump before he hit it and he crashed his RM80 hard, so that was the end of that.
The CR ran pretty good though. Definitely better.
I changed the way I set the float, as in which direction I look at it from. I was looking at it from the side view, but I saw a photo in the manual that was looking at it from the float valve side and I tried that. It seems to be the better method.
Too bad its getting fargin hot here, were about to park the bikes for the summer and start hiding from the sun.
You just need to drive to higher alt.

You just need to drive to higher alt.

I know a guy with a banshee, that's actually the first problem, but when it blubbers he goes with bigger jets, and then when he went to a high elevation ride he went bigger yet, fouled his plugs 5 minutes from the truck. He said gee I guess I didn't go big enough with the jetting, I told him your right, but you are close too dialing it in.

Like where...Prescott Valley...?
We're down.
PV still gets hot but nothing like Pho. Mingus, Henshaw Draw, etc.
And Alto Pit is a little camp/OHV park in the pines off Iron Springs. There is a 50" out the back that brings you down to Kirkland, and back Fun ride. Or then there, is higher up in the Bradshaw Mountains, can make it all dirt except where you crews through high pines and back to Alto pit.

Okay, since now the 80 is running good, it's getting to be about time to sell it.
The kiddo has grown 2 inches in the last 6 months and he is outgrowing it.
We spent the weekend trail riding on Saturday, and the morning at the track yesterday, and he is getting some decent air, learning some skills and looking comfortable, but he is tall for his age and the 80 is looking small.

Question is, what should I get him next?
I was thinking a 4-stroke. A kid I work with suggested a CRF150 for awhile, then put him on a 2-stroke 125.
He rode the XR200 over the weekend while trail riding, and whereas before he didn't like it, now he loves it.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

He is 5'4".
I was thinking a 250 is in his near future, or at least what I project him being on soon.
Need a suitable transition bike for now.

There's no transition bike. The 150 and the cr80 are about the same speed and size. 150 may have about 2 inches on the 85 but only because of the larger tires. It's hard to ride a 125 fast but I recommend one to everyone who wants to get fast. A 125 will teach a rider to carry speed everywhere.