2 Stroke 1998 CR80R

If you are looking at an upgrade that might make it more saleable in the future look at cylinder works and their 105 cc kits. Reasonable alternatives, and with the yamaha it only took a smidge of reshaping on the head to get them happy. 25 cc's makes a noticeable difference on the yamaha.

I bet if you take one of those magnets on a handle and sweep around in the crankcases lower depths you will find a cousin or two of the pieces that made the marks.
I was thinking that too.

I ordered the replacement parts already. Got the jug, piston, ring, and gasket kit, free delivery, for just under $350.00.

Just trying to get this thing up and running ASAP, as the end of riding season is just around the corner.

Last edited:
that was more for that 125 of Emily's. my bad on the cylinder works suggestion, they apparently do not offer for the cr's. seemed so odd that they would do so for the yz, another non power valved cylinder. as it was i got my yz 85 stuff for right at 400 delivered up here (had to pay part of it since they wouldnt use us postal). OE is good stuff. clean the other one with acid and shine it up, and keep it or ebay it, looks like they get a decent price.

Last edited:
Looks too lean to me. There is zero carbon on the dome. It also looks like there is some detonation happening but that could just be my phone. What's the underside of the piston look like?
lol so much for dirty burning oil. the clean surface and the "chip" has me thinking it was steamed.

lol so much for dirty burning oil. the clean surface and the "chip" has me thinking it was steamed.

Like the seal popped at just the right moment.
I still think it's jetted too lean but we won't know until it goes back together and he starts from scratch.

I took a good look at the head gasket and it appears to be just fine...

It doesn't matter. Tons of people have pulled head gaskets out of motors and said they looked fine but it still seeped.

Was it an oem gasket?

Always, always, always... put on new no matter how many hours are on the bike. Don't be a hack, cheap insurance and you are not trying to make it home from the middle of nowhere.

I dont know if it was OEM or not. I can take another look.
And I wasn't planning on using it, I have a new gasket set coming. But I appreciate the reinforcement.

The start of my riding season is just around the corner here.
Yeah thats cool.
I remember the days waiting for the snow to go away.
I spent 28 years in the frozen tundra of MN, then I wisened up.
Technically I could ride all summer too, but you gotta be up at 4am and on the bike just before sunup, and even then it's still 90 degrees in the valley. I suppose I could go to the high desert, but thats a 2 hour drive. Maybe one of these hot summer weekends Palmer will invite us up for a ride...

But right now is perfect, so I want to capitalize on this weather as much as possible. Unfortunately the parts wont be here til Monday.

Yeah thats cool.
I remember the days waiting for the snow to go away.
I spent 28 years in the frozen tundra of MN, then I wisened up.
Technically I could ride all summer too, but you gotta be up at 4am and on the bike just before sunup, and even then it's still 90 degrees in the valley. I suppose I could go to the high desert, but thats a 2 hour drive. Maybe one of these hot summer weekends Palmer will invite us up for a ride...

But right now is perfect, so I want to capitalize on this weather as much as possible. Unfortunately the parts wont be here til Monday.

Soon I will be a full time res. Right now, it is kind of hard to plan around. Spur of the moment, jump on the bike and hit a 50 mile loop. Just happens.